Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Annual NorCal Sierra Run-Sat. Oct. 7th

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 2nd Annual NorCal Sierra Run-Sat. Oct. 7th

For those of you that made it last year and those that didn't or said they would do it again here's the plan and routes. Some people might be coming from Santa Rosa, Modesto, Stockton, and hopefully we can more of the Bay Area people off of Hwy. 9 for a day. Not the best map but I'll have maps for everyone attending that you can actually read! As usual it's a bring your own lunch/drinks thing and we have a good place lined up to pull the cars over and use some tables. Weather should be in the high 60's to 70's, we will get to near 8,800' elevation at Monitor and Ebbetts Pass so be sure to bring a jacket and aspirin if you get headaches at higher altitudes. Most of the driving will be below 6000'

Crude map and links to pics from last year:

A few of last years photos and link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/235396-nor-cal-fall-rennlist-drive-pictures.html

This trip takes us to Markleeville southeast of Lake Tahoe. We will meet up east of Sacto. at Hwy 50 and Sunrise near Folsom at 8:00 or nine depending on where drivers are coming from. From there will drive to Pollock Pines and turn off for Mormon Immigrant Trail( carbon removal route), MIT to Hwy 88, 88 to 89 and have lunch in Markleeville, the smallest county in California but there's a good deli to get sandwiches. (114 miles).

A few pics and maps from last year:

Monitor Pass Overlook

Carson Pass Trailhead

Hope Valley Traffic Jam

Highway 4 along Carson River

Monitor Pass

Ebbets Pass

One of the straighter sections on Mormon Immigrant...must resist the right foot!

For the return drive we have several options depending on where you drove in from and time permitting: We can make an optional 25 mile RT sidetrip to beautiful Monitor Pass and back to Markleeville for lunch. From the view point above down to Hwy 395 and back is 15 miles of some of the best road I've been on. You defintely learn how to brake, downshift, turn and stomp it real quick.

Route A: MV to Sacto via 88, Fiddletown Road, and Hwy 16 (224 miles) this would be the shortest route back to Sacto. or North Bay folks

Route B: MV Sacto via Hwy 4, 49, and 9 (269 miles), this would be a longer route back but good for drivers south of Sacto.

Route C: MV to Stockton/Modesto via Hwy 4, 49, and 108 (244/262 miles), this short section would be for anyone from Modesto or heading further South down 99.

These are some great roads with at least 4 mountain passes, beautiful Sierra scenery, and fall colors. I'll post more links to various sections we'll be on as the week goes on. Let me know if you are interested, it will be a full day of driving for some of you but Brad was back in Santa Rosa by 4:30 last year. I've been touring these mountain routes for years and if you like to drive these are the roads for you. Nothing is 'too' technical, some serious twisties, long straights, and wide open sweepers, but common sense is still the rule of the day. Be warned, according to Dan D. his arms were tired but this is a drivers run, no mamby pamby wine and cheese tour.

Hope you can join in for one last trip before the snow falls. Many said that this was one of the best drives they had ever taken but then again we are all crazy. Maps will be added in the next few days.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 09-25-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i might make this, but i'll probably drop out before.

my front suspension clunks over rough road or RR tracks, and it's kinda floaty, so i think i might need new inserts..

and i can hear a slight "grinding/ticking" noise from the rear end which might be my imagination, but perhaps not.

plus i'm stuck with the cat in there until i can get it to pass smog, so it's a dog in acceleration for now....

you should probably put me down as "wishin, and hopin, and thinkin, and prayin"

i'll probably end up going and digging my grave even deeper

unless i face catastrophic failure, i should be there......despite what i just finished saying :roflmao;
Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
zbeeblebrox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that looks fun. i think you can put me down as a possible. based on the fact that i might not be able to wake up that early.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
i might make this, but i'll probably drop out before.

my front suspension clunks over rough road or RR tracks, and it's kinda floaty, so i think i might need new inserts..

and i can hear a slight "grinding/ticking" noise from the rear end which might be my imagination, but perhaps not.

plus i'm stuck with the cat in there until i can get it to pass smog, so it's a dog in acceleration for now....

you should probably put me down as "wishin, and hopin, and thinkin, and prayin"

i'll probably end up going and digging my grave even deeper

unless i face catastrophic failure, i should be there......despite what i just finished saying :roflmao;

My back clunks over rough roads but I still use it. I see a definite pattern here.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:14 AM
useth4z
Instructor

Steve,

Sounds like (another) great run, I cannot unfortunately attend (again). I did meet with Roger (Andial951) and Dan (Bleucamaro?) at the Duetsches Motorfest in Placerville and will keep my eye open for future runs.

Allan
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

ya know what, as long as i can run caboose and slow down if i feel the car's not happy, im in
Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in. I vote 9am meet time.

I think it took me around 1:15ish to get to the meeting place general area when I drove to the big sac area auto-x shiners event this summer (at that airfield), so I can do either time, but I'd prefer a later time so I don't have to wake up at 6. If I comes down to it I could probably bum a stay at one of the people I know in the area - davis, elk grove or grass valley - but I'd prefer not to.

Speaking of that big auto-x, I saw a black 951 there, was that anybody on here? All I really remember of it was that it had a new front header panel that was one of the ones with the two sections instead of one, and it had some sort of mesh covering it so that it wasn't visible from a distance.

Another side note, I've just bought a harness bar and camera mount on ebay, so I will hopefully have a video camera mount ready for the run.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:14 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Count me in.......I will postpone my turbo swap.

Allan,
Nice to meet you today.....too bad you wont make this one. Hoperfully we can get another run to Mt. Hamilton in soon.

Juan,
Stop making excuses and be there. Im beginning to think your MO is to make excuses about why your car is going to be slow before the runs so that no one will really know that you drive like a pansy.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

This is what I get for trash talking 944s...

There are some issues I need to deal with on the bimmer, but hopefully everything will be done in time for the run.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I'm not sure if I can go yet. I may be bringing up the rear with Juan. If I can get my buddy who tuned the piggy back to tag along, we can hopefully resolve some tuning issues.

I'd be more in favor of a bit shorter drive, with a barbeque afterwards.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Be warned, according to Dan D. his arms were tired but this is a drivers run, no mamby pamby wine and cheese tour.
Yup, that's me, wine and cheese all the way. Yup..

But really, 5 or 6 hours on the road can be a bit tiring. Will I do it again?
Oh Ya...

But not this time. I've spent that last 2 1/2 months on my back because of a stupid 1/2" sliver of glass. 2 hospital stays for infection. Currently undergoing self administered IV therapy. Fun times..

IF I can get around on the 7th, I'll be going to Kingdom Raceway for a 20+ reunion of my first drag race. They are reopening the Stockton/Lodi racetrack for a 1 day event. Now I just need to figure out a way to get the El Camino back together. (and grow some hair on the back of my head).

DanD
Old 09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
I'm not sure if I can go yet. I may be bringing up the rear with Juan. If I can get my buddy who tuned the piggy back to tag along, we can hopefully resolve some tuning issues.

I'd be more in favor of a bit shorter drive, with a barbeque afterwards.

allright fine!

if i can get the idea past Erika, i'll see if we can fire up the grill after the run for those of you who'd like to stop by for some food. if anyone wants to pitch in, i'll probably have a collection plate cuz i'm so poor

it all depends on whether i get paid before that weekend...............
Old 09-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
allright fine!

if i can get the idea past Erika, i'll see if we can fire up the grill after the run for those of you who'd like to stop by for some food. if anyone wants to pitch in, i'll probably have a collection plate cuz i'm so poor

it all depends on whether i get paid before that weekend...............
Couldn't you just kill your neighbor's pig?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 AM
959Lover
Racer

Hey guys. If I solve my automotive problems (phantom power drain), I might be in with my GTI. Arash won't make it because he moved down to Riverside on Sunday .

Also, I wouldn't be able to eat or drink, soooo, how's the weather supposed to be that weekend? If it might be hot, then 100% count me out. The last thing I need is to be dehydrated a long ways from home in a non-AC car
Old 09-26-2006, 02:42 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 959Lover
Hey guys. If I solve my automotive problems (phantom power drain), I might be in with my GTI. Arash won't make it because he moved down to Riverside on Sunday .

Also, I wouldn't be able to eat or drink, soooo, how's the weather supposed to be that weekend? If it might be hot, then 100% count me out. The last thing I need is to be dehydrated a long ways from home in a non-AC car
I understand about the not eating or drinking and would have to say you won't make it. It's a long full day of driving where dehydration and high elevations would have you hurling before we hit Markleville. High elevations and dehydration is a given. The mountain temps will be cool but the valley will have praying for sundown to replenish your body. You might want to rethink this one.

Quick Reply: 2nd Annual NorCal Sierra Run-Sat. Oct. 7th