Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central door lock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
rollis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central door lock question

Previous owner had disabled the factory alarm system...had the unit in the glove box. my central locking system does not work. So my question is: With the alarm disabled, does it disable my locking system also? Or do I have a switch, etc. problem.
Fuses are OK by the way
87 944S
Old 09-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rollis
Previous owner had disabled the factory alarm system...had the unit in the glove box. my central locking system does not work. So my question is: With the alarm disabled, does it disable my locking system also? Or do I have a switch, etc. problem.
Fuses are OK by the way
87 944S
What is it you have in the glove box, what does it look like. The central locking system is composed of a small box attached to the steering column under the dash and some relays as far as I know.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
rollis
Instructor

That's it....it's was just taken out. It's not mounted or installed..just a place to keep off the floor until I drove the car home. I'm a newbie Porsche owner if you hav'ent guessed by now. I'm talking about the alarm module
Old 09-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

That's it....it's was just taken out. It's not mounted or installed..just a place to keep off the floor until I drove the car home. I'm a newbie Porsche owner if you hav'ent guessed by now. I'm talking about the alarm module
If that is the box on the steering wheel that has been removed then your electric door locks will not function. You can disable the alarm and still have the locking doors. Mine was like that when I got it. The PO should not have removed this module. Maybe their was a problem with it.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
rollis
Instructor

Thanks Sysgen....I will look around the steering to locate the module, maybe it's just a relay.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
rollis
Instructor

Don't see anything there.......anybody have a pic of one?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't see anything there.......anybody have a pic of one?
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
rollis
Instructor

I received my central lock module....easy to install, just plug and clamp. My rear hatch will release but I hear nothing from the door locks. I'm supposed to get a light from the the button when engaged right ? I have the ignition switch on # 2 while pushing the button. Is the button (switch) removable like the window switches. I followed Clarks Garage for the switch re-furb and they work like brand new.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

When you lock the doors with the key, do you ear them lock, especialy the opposite side. Both doors should lock at the same time and the light in the ***** should light up or flash.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
rollis
Instructor

Nope, I hear nothing from the either door lock. Man....those little switches are $$$$ Does it sound like I need a replacement swith ?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Actually the console switch, if that's the one your talking about is pretty useless, dont even bother with it. If I understand correctly, it is only used in the event that a little lady feels treatened, she can press the little button and she'll be safe because the doors will lock

Once they're locked that way, the only way to get out is to manually pull on the lock **** and that's when they break ask me how I know, so dont use it. The switch does not arm the alarm system, it only locks the doors.

To arm the system, you have to be outside of the car and lock it with the key. This should lock both doors, and arm the alarm system.

If the module was removed, you might also be missing one or two relays that compose the system. I cant remember the location. Have you checked those.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

The button on the console locks and unlocks the doors. If your doors lock and unlock with the key lock in the door handle the the micro switches in the handles are fine. the other thing that breaks on the locking system is a plastic arm inside each door. When my CLS went south it was a broken arm. Easy fix and relatively inexpensive as I recall.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Not on mine !! If I press it locks the doors and if I press again it does nothing, or to be more exact, I ear something like it's trying to lock again. It's a single throw switch that I have with a small red light in it, right?

Originally Posted by 35thSLP
The button on the console locks and unlocks the doors.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:39 PM
rollis
Instructor

I was hoping to get a remote keyless entry for it. I've read a couple threads that made that possible. The doors lock and unlock fine using the keys. Not knowing what caused the problem in the first place makes it much harder to troubleshoot. It was like this when I bought it.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Mine was the same so that's why I know a little about this. I found out later that the PO had disabled it and he gave me the missing parts. One control module and 2 relays. Plugg everything in and voila.

Your problem sounds like the small micro switch in the key lock themselves aren't working. If you lock one side, does the other also lock?

Quick Reply: Central door lock question