Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helicoil questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helicoil questions.

So 3 if my water pumps bolts were totally stripped so I went out an bought an m6 x 1.0 helicoil kit, 63 bucks. anyways first thing the drill was too big to get it on straight the headlight assembly was in the way so I didn't drill and just used the tap and lots of luble to cut in the threads, because it was harder to turn I did not go very deep just a little more thread than the helicoil needs.

anyways I used the special tool and screwed in the helicoils until it was a bit past the surface and then turned the tool back out. I did not use any threadlock or anything as the instructions did not say to use it.

Now the problem is I'm worried using one tiny helicoil will not be enought to keep the bolts tight. when I put the bolts throught the pump it looks like the bolt would go quite a bit past the helicoil.

will this be a problem or should it be oikay? it's only 7 ft lb so I'm hoping it's okay. It would have been better to use 2 helicoils but I wasn't sure how to do this properly. I still have one left to do.

another thing I need to remove the tang still because the bolt will go past the helicoil. I'm not sure how to do this without wrecking the helicoil. Not sure what kind of punch I need or rod? the instructions aren't that great. can I just stick a drill bit (round smoot side) slightly smaller than the hole and then punch it out? also how hard do you hit it?

mainly wondeirng if one helicoil is enought for these bolts even though the bolt will go past it. I'm thinking of helicoiling the rest of the bolts also even though the did tighten, but they don't look that great so I'm not sure if they can fail.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

A. So long as it still has some threads don't worry if the bolt is longer than the helicoil (though they do have longer ones). So long as some threads are on there you should be fine.

B. Don't worry about the tang, when you put the bolt in it will just push it out of the way.

C. Helicoil all the holes if you can. Much stronger than threaded alumminum.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well I did tap in larger threads past where the end of the helicoil is so when the bolt goes past it it won't be screwed into anything. Is this really bad?

well the kit the guy gave me only has pretty small helicoils for the M6 x1.0 size. it says you can use two for larger applicatiosn but this sounds hard to do. I'd have to tap pretty far (can't drill) then put one helicoil just far enough to fully fit the other one.

or maybe I can try and just tap enough for one helicoil to fit so there is some of the old thread left for the rest of the bolt. not sure

yeah that's what I like to do if it actually works good, the helicoil threads look much better than the old worn threads even thought they still work.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also have a questions about my thremostat. I returned my rebuilt porsche wp and the guy sold mea thermostat snap ring and spacer for the turbo wp.

on the rebuilt pump this would all fit the grove for the snap ring was far enought that it needed the spacer. Now the turbo wp I got from Paragon, Laso brand seems to have the grove for the ring much closer so when I put the thermostat in I noticed right away that it definately did not need a spacer and even without the spacer I was not sure if there was enough space for the ring. a I was kind of right I had to smack the ring in with a big screwdriver to push it into the grove. the seal around the thermsostast looks like it's squished in some spots but I think the thermostat is in all the way.

now I'm worried that the thermost may be the wrong one and even though the ring is on and it is on tight this may be a problem? like would the right thermostat for this Laso turbo pump be of a different length?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

also about the tang I read that if you try to screw it off you can warp the helicoil.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:30 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Do the bolts hold when you install them with the water pump in place> Test fit without the gasket.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well the tang is still in, i'm trying to figure out what to use to punch it out before I can test it. the screw obviously threads in but i want to make sure it hold when I torque it down.

I'm worried that because the helicoil is a bit smaller than the bolt going in it might have too much pressure on it and might fail? probably not I don't think 7 ft-lbs will cause it to fail.

I'll post a pic of how small the helicoil is and how much would stick out. I put a bolt throught he water pump and put a helicoil on it to see how much would go past the helicoil.and it looks like at least 3 full threads would go past.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Take any rod, dowel, or even an old drill bit with the blunt (nondrilling) side towards the tang and slightly knock it into the hole. The tang will come right off with very little effort. Oh, make sure that the rod is smaller than the helicoil and has a blunt end not a sharp pointed end that you are using to knock the tang off.

One helicoil was just fine for my application and I inserted it a couple threads below surface. I agree with the test fit of the wp WITH GASKET before final installation.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can test fit the bolt and the tang should snap off. If you pull it with (Lets say a pair of needle nosed pliers.. )to remove it you risk the chance of pulling the helicoil out of the thread.
Scott is correct- a dowel a bit smaller when pushed thru from the back (Opposite thread side of the tang) should knock it right off.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I realize that you are concerned about them holding well. Helicoils have been used for years on aluminum blocks installations requiring much more than 7 lbs of grip. The dry fit advice above is good. Remember, all those bolts do is seal the WP they don't hold the camcover or a motor mount...stop worrying so much
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 PM
SoCal924
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
. Remember, all those bolts do is seal the WP they don't hold the camcover or a motor mount...stop worrying so much

Yah... and when yer done go chill in a tent in the closet and *relax* a little hahaha

J
Old 09-01-2006, 01:01 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to remove the tang with a punch, non cutting end of a drill, dowel, smaller than M6 bolt...... Not removing it can mess up the helicoil.
Start by tapping lightly, if it does not pop out, tap slightly harder, repeat as necessary.

And remove the tang from the hole once it is broken off.

As for strength of the helicoil, if done properly you will strip the threads from the non helicoiled aluminum in all the other ones before you strip the helicoil.

It also sounds like you do not have too many tools, when working on these cars make sure you have the right tools for the job.

Quick Reply: Helicoil questions.