Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ball joints, whats the deal? (anyone wanna rebuild my steering rack?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joints, whats the deal? (anyone wanna rebuild my steering rack?)

i need ball joints, and all i seem to find is ball joint rebuild kits. now im sure they are good, but my mechanic is not gonna be cool with rebuilding ball joints. so is this the only way of doing this? i have a 86 na. and i also need sway bar bushings, and i dont know what mm my sway bar is(front one) and ive found them but i dont know which ones im to buy- there are a few bushings, and a complete kit. if im gonna rebuild the damn ball joints, ill buy a rebuild kit for the friggin steering rack 2oh and i was also wondering if anyone has the sproket inside of the timing belt tensioner. my mechanic said that i could just buy the sproket/gear- whatever its called, rather than paying 200$ for a new tensioner.

Last edited by SwiftyZenBadd; 08-07-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

find some 83-85 metal arms w/ bolt in ball joints and swap it- you'll also need the straps that hold the ends of the sway bar.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

so basicly a retro-fit? i thought the control arms from the early 44's had trouble with flexing under stress?
so if i dont rebuild the bj's i gotta order new control arms with new bj's installed? too bad i cant have one of the guys on here rebuild them. thew kits are only 60-70$ the same with the steering rack-70-80$
the guy whose wrking on my car, doesnt want to get too involved with my car. so i gotta find another person to work on it. for now hes agreed to do a front end re-seal, belt/rollers,thermostat,water pump, and maybe the aos rings. whats left is the oil pan gasket, bj's sway bar bushing replacement, and either the steering rack, or p/s pump. and as of now the parts bill is around 450$ so ive got a little under 200$ left in the budget. too bad i cant be fixed as easily as my car.

foprgive the many spelling errors, im typing with my left pointer finger-

Last edited by SwiftyZenBadd; 08-07-2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typing with one arm
Old 08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.rennbay.com/ball-joint-re...s-c-30_57.html

Rebuilt control arms and you choose your ball joint. Last much longer than any aftermarket "rebuilt" arm out there. We do not use machine in febi joints.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

can you rebuild the ball joints on an 85 1/2?

Robin
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

ok that is a cool option. i think id choose to have mine sent in. now im starting to get a plan. i can just put my car on jack stands and take out the steering rack, sway bar. throw on some new sway bar bushings, and reseal the rack while waiting for the arms. anybody here on rennlist wanna reseal my steering rack? if interested pm me. i can order all the parts and pay shipping. just gotta figure out how much payment would be for services rendered.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PORobinSCHE
can you rebuild the ball joints on an 85 1/2?

Robin
Late 85 arms rebuildable as they have the 86 style aluminum units.

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
too bad i cant have one of the guys on here rebuild them.
buy travis' rebuild kit and send it to me along with both arms, return postage and a crisp c-note - i'll rebuild them next weekend when I'm sittin' out back in my underwear drinkin' beer - I'll have them on the way back in no time.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I can sell you my rebuilt PS rack if you'd like. Rebuild by 944online less than a few thousand miles ago.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

pm's sent
Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I know a lot of guys on here have done the arms so if you can find someone here to send them to you would get off a bit cheaper. Fezz would be a good candidate if it were not for the beer and nudity.
Seriously though, ask around. I could drop ship a kit wherever you like.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

i sent fezz a pm, waiting on the reply. if he could also do my steering rack, that would kick ***- **** ill send a six pak with the arms, the nudity- thats up to him. as i stated in the pm i sent, i gotta have one of my buddys dissasemble the front suspension, since im outa commision. that might take awhile since my car is still at the shop.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

swifty,

pm sent back.
if you go the route of having someone on the board rebuild the arms. be sure to inspect the ball joint pockets when you remove the arms from the car. if the pockets are "out of round" (which is often the case with really worn joints) - they should not be rebuilt. You will need to acquire new arms.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

nice.... i gotta get ahold of my mechanic friend and see if hes up for this. if not i dont know what im gonna do. how hard is it to remove the front suspension? the doctor told me i will never be able to wrench on anything for the rest of my life- so that gives u an idea of my situation. but if i cant get help its up to me. right now if got this foam block the size of a BIG watermelon under my arm, supporting it. my 44 should be back later this month i would assume, and i should have alot more mobility with the shoulder too.

Quick Reply: ball joints, whats the deal? (anyone wanna rebuild my steering rack?)