Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of a K&N air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mavfan
the dust concept is troublesome to me. when buying K&N i thought i was getting the best of both worlds. guess not

Nah, more air int he same amount of time means there has to be bigger holes.. performance takes a toll on engines, this case its dirt getting in.

everything that gives more performance is going to have some negative sides, why do you think they ahve to rebuild f1 engines every race.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"value, none IMO"

Agreed, very nice marketing effort though ;]
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would have to say that the stock airbox is difficult to get into to replace the filter.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Someone had a comparison online. The K&N lets more air in and does filter particles well. However, after a few months, it loses all effectiveness compared to a paper filter. Essentially, you need to clean much more often if you use a K&N. Otherwise, stick with stock filter.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a K&N in the stock airbox. No performance difference but I have a cleaning kit and just figured it's cheaper in the long run. I have not noticed the dirt issue that has been mentioned earlier. I run K&Ns in all my vehicles. Just my personal preference and cheaper over the long haul IMO.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

crap. i gotta go back to stock.

my K&N gets full of dirt on the outside in a few months.

what the hell is getting inside?!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Pistol Pete
Instructor

Ok, so I've ruled out the K&N filter. What, then, could I get as a welcome gift for the car? Some small performance addition? Any interesting accessories? I want to do something immediately to "make the car my own". Suggestions?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MyBlackCar
Someone had a comparison online. The K&N lets more air in and does filter particles well. However, after a few months, it loses all effectiveness compared to a paper filter. Essentially, you need to clean much more often if you use a K&N. Otherwise, stick with stock filter.
Simply not true. I've seen real world test data done on industry standard test equipment to the SAE specs. K&N doesn't even come close to the minimum requirements. And the first cleaning makes it almost twice as bad.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

I would like to know what to use in place of K&N for MAF kits. The site I gave a link for earlier claims to filter quite well and is a dry filter that you just clean rather than have to oil as well.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A foam filter would be a improvement over wet gauss (K&N) but I dont know if its as good as paper at filtration. Basically good filtration equals high restriction. I'd like to hear what DanG suggests for replacement of cone K&N filters, as well as his thoughts on K&N precharger bags.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Ok, so I've ruled out the K&N filter. What, then, could I get as a welcome gift for the car? Some small performance addition? Any interesting accessories? I want to do something immediately to "make the car my own". Suggestions?

Change the timing belt, rollers, waterpump?

This way it will be 'yours' for atleast another 35k miles!

If that stuffs up to date, throw some bigger sway bars on. 944 Turbo bars are readily available on eBay and the like.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Dave, I don't have any data on other aftermarket filters, specfically cone filters, so its tough to say. My experience suggests that foam filters do filter pretty well, although that is entirely dependent on pore size and materials/surfactants used.

As for the K&N bag (prefilter), I haven't used or tested one of those either. I would imagine that the bag would only increase the filter's capacity (mass of dirt the filter will hold, compare to the quanity of water a paper towel will hold), but not improve its filtration (size and percentage of dirt allowed through). I would imagine the pores in the bag would be at least as large as the pores in the filter, otherwise the bag would be a significant restrictriction.

I've been thinking about doing some testing on ITG and Pipercross foam filters, but unfortunately I've just decided to leave my current job in air induction, so I doubt this is going to happen.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/

http://www.pipercross.net/competition_cone.asp
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Someone's going to have to prove to me that the K&N oiled setup doesnt' help contribute to early failure/gumup/burnout of the MAF.

Harvey
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Pistol Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Change the timing belt, rollers, waterpump?

This way it will be 'yours' for atleast another 35k miles!

If that stuffs up to date, throw some bigger sway bars on. 944 Turbo bars are readily available on eBay and the like.
Already done. Sway bars sounds like a plan though. I'm actually thinking about whole new suspension setup for the near future, but I'm not really sure where to start. Maybe I'll start with sway bars.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
AR10
Racer

The K&N filter thing has been explored extensively in the aviation sector and it seems that there is a slight increase in HP. Keep in mind that airplanes operate at a higher altitude than most automobiles, where there is less dust and other contaminates. Also these engines operate at very near wide open throttle most of the time. However, even in these engines increased wear has been documented. In short, stay with stock.

Quick Reply: Value of a K&N air filter?