Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the next Norcal fun run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default When's the next Norcal fun run?

It's been a while since the last fun run, or at least, I've been thirsty for one lately. Is there another one coming up? Any plans? Anything in the works? Come on guys, it's summer, we have to drive more. Let's all get together again and rip up some beautiful countryside. Sights of my local concrete jungle are driving me nuts, and when I do go out into the woods, I feel lonely being the only p-car there.

Well there's the occasional boxster I see going the other way, but they NEVER wave.

Steve? Brad? Anyone? I wouldn't want to set anything up myself because I wouldn't know where to begin, so I'm trying to reach out here. Am I the only one feeling this?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... it's 3 in the morning, dude! Go back to sleep.... You won't be getting enough of it once you're in grad school.

Someone needs to take initiative. If we organize something for the weekend of August 5th -- I'll be there. For roads, these guys have great road ideas: Pashnit .
Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Sights of my local concrete jungle are driving me nuts, and when I do go out into the woods, I feel lonely being the only p-car there.
that's better than following a grandma in a white 951. plenty of room to go at your own pace.

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I wouldn't know where to begin
1) Read Atlas and Google Earth
2) Get in car
3) Drive
4) Make notes for next group drive.

I just went out for 4 hrs this evening on my bike in the mtns south of half moon bay and found some great roads I never knew existed. You gotta get out there and explore...

Let us know when your ready to lead the next drive!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:26 AM
ckathens
Drifting

I'm out because of the bar, the wedding, honeymoon, etc.. until ~August 20th. But after that, i'm up for some driving! I'm stuck in my hotel room for the next 4 days before the bar... Ugh.

Who knows, maybe the next drive i'll be in a 951..
Old 07-22-2006, 02:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I'll go exploring and I'll see what I find. I never like taking initiative...

When I first learned about twisties, my buddy showed me highways 35 and 84. It took me a while to realize that a lot of those roads that branch off of the highways are actually pleasant and stuff too. The problem is, if we go on a weekend, there will be traffic. Either SUVs or bicycles, and I hate them both. And I'm too lazy to go across a bridge to do nothing but explore.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 AM
959Lover
Racer

Besides Arash, your car eats gas like I eat, well, most things. We should explore with my GTI . And HOPEFULLY, for the next run I can come with my GTI as well. I'd stay in the back of course, but I'd love just to go DRIVING with my car instead of running errands...

P.S. My avatar is just a temporary pic in memory of a fallen friend (fellow VW'er). Long story, but End the Violence is our slogan I guess.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve, if it's up to me I wouldn't mind holding off until August 20th or after. We've missed you on so many runs and you should be able to make it to the next one. I hope you do well on the exam. As a professor of mine used to say, "Good luck, and may you not need it."

Quick update: apparently I have to give my mom a ride to Colverdale tomorrow (Cloverdale is on 101 about 30mi north of Santa Rosa). She's going sky diving.... Last thing I'd expect her to do! So it looks like I'll be in that area for a few ours with nothing to do........ I checked google maps right quick, and there seem to be many a backroad up there .
Old 07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a Napa run so I can find some time to squeeze in.

FRporscheman, is that your 85.1 on craigslist?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM
klaasand
Intermediate

Hi guys, How about we meet at Hwy. 12 and 29 (for Sacto drivers at Cordelia on I-80 head west on Hwy. 12). and drive north from there along the Silverado Trail in Napa, drive over Mt. St. Helena to Middletown. There could even be a winery stop for those interested. From there I suggest a couple of ways.
1. drive towards Cobb Mt. about 9 miles. Go for a short hike/walk to a waterfall for a swim and a picnic at a waterfall - its pretty cool.
2. stop in Middletown for a milkshake or a drink and drive south through Pope Valley and picnic somewhere along that road or go into St. Helena for lunch once back in the Napa Valley.
3. go all the way to Clear Lake and have lunch there then drive south through Knoxville by Lake Berryessa and stop for a swim. Go our separate ways home once we hit the intersection of 128 & 121. Sacto people home through Winters.
Anyone up for this? Say August 12 or August 19?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 PM
959Lover
Racer

Originally Posted by Keithr726
FRporscheman, is that your 85.1 on craigslist?
I'll answer for him:

If you are referring to http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/184483095.html, then yes, that's his.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It's 115 degrees out here. Driving is the last thing on my mind; finding a body of water is another matter.

Speaking of which, the pool at UC Davis was shut down today because water temp went over 95 degrees. They felt that this was unsafely warm...

It might be worth considering only after this heat wave passes.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I'm with Serge on this one.......It was 116 here in Tracy today.....I usually like to take the 951 out for a drive on the weekends but not today and not even tonight....its still gotta be in the 90s out there.....with no AC......forget about it.

On a side note I have recently been informed of a couple of nice back roads in Livermore heading into Tracy. Hopefully the heat wave will be over in August.

Klaasand....we just did a run through that area........I'm tired of having to drive to Sac for every run.....is there anything South of the Bay or somewhere else....maybe revisit the hills above Half Moon Bay but this time without grandma in a white 951 leading the way.

The pic is of the temp gauge in my rear view mirror.....it says 116 in case anyone thought I was joking..........
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2006, 03:15 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been working on my rear seat delete package tray project the last 2 weekends. My garage was 114 today, I'm whipped, driving in this **** is the last thing on my agenda. Last I heard Brad is setting up the Skaggs Springs-Stewarts Point trip in late August. The Sierra Pass Fun Run will be the first week in October so that it doesn't conflict with the Duetches Motorfest event on September 23rd. Serge did you finish your belt job today? This heat wave is brutal.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM
klaasand
Intermediate

Hey Guys, This heat wave is going to end soon. We can save the Napa Valley run for another time. Altho I gotta say it's no where near Sacto - you can drive to Hwy. 12 from Tracy and the virtually east from there. There are some good roads around Livermore altho theres more traffic on them because they're closer into the Bay Area. Not a lot of traffic in the Napa Valley, Pope Valley, Middletown, Berryessa area. Skaggs Springs is a wee bit east of those areas so if Brad is putting it together thats great. I hope to see you all then. Karen
Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Maybe a coastal drive is in order. It was a bit chilly at the beach last night

I know of some very good roads from the east bay to livermore. How about an SF to tracy drive when the weather breaks?

Quick Reply: When's the next Norcal fun run?