Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issue trace down on 944

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Electrical issue trace down on 944

I'm really, REALLY frustrated beyond belief!!

This is the THIRD time my poor car died coming online within 24 hours over the last few months, AAARGH!! The first instance was the waterpump.

I replaced the distributor cap & rotor (yes, used blue locktite). Ignition coil wire to cap was loose, so we pushed it down all the way yesterday, and she came to life again. So, we put in the stereo (she's not had one since I bought her), worked okay with rear speakers only for now.

I drove her to work, she was great. Then I gave her a much needed quick bath, came home. Few hours later, bf drove it to work. Got a call 7:40 PM that she wouldn't start - AGAIN!! Starter makes it's appropriate noise, but the engine just won't turn over.

I've also replaced all the fuses last month, when she went down, and wouldn't even crank. It would then crank, but not fire.

I HATE intermittent electrical problems!!

What could it be now!? Relay? DME? The other car needs the transmission replaced for the FOURTH time, so we are carless!

I'm towing her down to San Diego tomorrow, to my cousin's house (he's a mechanic), and see what we can do with her - unless someone has a brilliant idea I can try.

Thanks for suggestions, just don't suggest I send a tactical nuclear warhead - I already thought of that!! But I want her RUNNING, not dead.

- Julie
Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 AM
one
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's one of the two sensors on the top of the bellhousing at the rear of the motor. One is a crank sensor. take a long metal pole and tap tap tap tap the top of both sensors to knock the magnets back down onto the flywheel.

Good firm taps.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 AM
one
Advanced

beat them if you have to, but work up to that.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Okay, I'll try that!

So far, we've tested nearly everything we could touch yesterday, and all that came up is that the wire between my ignition coil and distributor cap is running hot on the contacts under the boot on the ig. coil, when it isn't supposed to do that?

Pondering on another set of wires to the distr. cap. Hopefully should know more tomorrow, having a shop look at it.

Well, we took off & put back on the Distr. cap, jiggled that wire between it & Ig. coil, and she started right up, AHAHAHAH.

Did tape up some wires that had the plastic cover cracked, but still need to get to those sensors behind the engine, and play with those...I guess with a stick, eh?

- Julie
Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

So, correct me if I'm wrong - a crank sensor can actually stop an engine from running, and leave me stranded in an intersection?

- Julie
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by one
It's one of the two sensors on the top of the bellhousing at the rear of the motor. One is a crank sensor. take a long metal pole and tap tap tap tap the top of both sensors to knock the magnets back down onto the flywheel.

Good firm taps.
Knock the magnets down? NOT! You will just break the plastic tops. The magnets don't move in the sensor. However there could be a loose or tempermental connector for the sensors. Some have resorted to holding these together with pull ties as the spring (bail) locking lugs tend to break off.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Julie, It's very easy to make another wire with the proper ends to replace the one between the coil and dist. PM me.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Ahhhh! Couldn't get online for a week, for some reason Rennlist wouldn't load at all when I got back from San Diego.

Why couldn't it be the DME chip? My mom had a similar issue, and they had to replace something similar on their car.

- Julie
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Julie, in order of things to check-
Speed/ ref sensors- loose? bad connection? wiggle the connectors when running and see if is dies.
DME relay. Buy one, if it's NOT the relay you have a spare. Carry it with you in the glove box.

It could be the DME, but check the 2 above first.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by one

Good firm taps.
While you are at it, also check the connectors on those sensors. They tend to get brittle with age.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:52 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - YES also check the DME relay. If it is older than 5 years, or of unknown age, replace it.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue trace down on 944