Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Click/notch as clutch pedal goes down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Click/notch as clutch pedal goes down?

Anyone ever noticed their clutch pedal having a clicking/popping sound when it goes down? Mine seems to have just developed this -- I can feel the click when I push the pedal down by hand -- like the linkage has a catch or notchiness to it. ?? Pressures good, hydraulics good -- like something at the pivot point?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, investigated a bit more. It's a muted knocking that seems to be coming from the master clutch cylinder. I seriously don't want to change that thing again. Royalsch -- how long has yours been doing this? Ever pop the hood and see if the sound is coming from the clutch master?
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 944S makes that sound every now and again. Normally I hear it a lot when I let the car sit for awhile (weeks/months), but then once I use it a bit mroe the sound goes away. I believe the little "click" (metallic sound) or whatever you want to call it, is coming from the pedal itself.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

well, I'll pull the seat and take a better look tomorrow night. I thought it was coming from the master but now I'm not so sure -- seems equally loud when I stick my head under the dash, maybe louder.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:21 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to scare you, but I just saw a fellow RLer's car with "sticky clutch pedal". The problem turned out to be a severe crack in the firewall -- when he depressed the clutch pedal, you can see the master cylinder and the brake booster move forward by an eighth of an inch! He caused it by tracking his car, but I'd inspect the firewall just for the peace of mind...
Old 07-17-2006, 03:24 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the same as Joe^^^ could be a cracked firewall.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only had mine a month now but feels like you describe, feels little stiff for the first 10mm movement then softer almost like there is a spring that disengage and the the pressure build up further down which feel normal. I have to say the clutch feels a lot lighter than I expected, but something is obviously not right in that first 10mm travel.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, good news I think. Firewall looks solid and nothing is wet. I got under the dash to take a look (which, for those who've met me, can confirm is no small feat). The clicking was apparently coming from a loose push-rod going to the clutch master. The jam-nut was spinning freely and the rod itself would wiggle pretty freely inside the master cylinder. I think the click was the push-rod centering itself in the master cylinder when I stepped on the clutch. The manual says the push-rod should have .5mm clearance, but there is no real way to measure it. So, I spun the rod until it would tighten up, making contact in the master cylinder, then backed it off a few turns and tightened the nut. Sound gone. And, the pedal is tighter at the top of its travel than before. It used to be a little floppy toward the top, and this seemed to help that too.

Quick Reply: Click/notch as clutch pedal goes down?