Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
sandvik951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low profile headlights

I am looking for a low profile headligth kit for my 944, just like there is for det mazda MX-5

Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Crunky
Pro

That actually looks kinda neat, I think it would look better with a rectangular sealed beam in each housing rather than the 2 round ones in each.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM
944J
Banned

The current trend is away from rectangles and squares and more into round shapes. This can be seen in cars and headlights from corvettes to porsche. I like round headlights more than square, myself.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

Not too bad. . . A little weird - I'm more partial to the 924-CGT ones, but whatever thrills ya'.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:46 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

the best non-stock headlight setup belongs to MPD47.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

Yea, wonderful. . . A car that's technically illegal. Great idea. He better hope he doesn't catch a cop on a bad day. I'm sure those "down low" lights are really effective at making those jacked-up SUVs and 18-wheelers see you too. On a black car no less. I'd stick to driving that one in daylight hours only. . .

Here's one I found that I kind of like - adds a lot to modernizing the look of the car, if that's what you're into:

Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Got Boost?
Yea, wonderful. . . A car that's technically illegal. Great idea. He better hope he doesn't catch a cop on a bad day. I'm sure those "down low" lights are really effective at making those jacked-up SUVs and 18-wheelers see you too. On a black car no less. I'd stick to driving that one in daylight hours only. . .
It seems every time you speak, bull**** comes out. you never have anything decent to say.

however back on topic..... the pic you just posted is not the best for those headlights. i do like those headlights, but the bumper on that car uglies it up. here is a better pic.....

Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Personally, I would love to have the Carrera GTS lights.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

I dunno, I kind of like that bumper, but personal preference I suppose. . .

I don't understand why it's "bull****" (as you claim) to point out that Mr. MPD47's setup is illegal. Either that or they have some very strange vehicular codes where he lives. If so, then my apologies and more power to him. However, I'm willing to bet that the laws in his state probably require two white lights at such-and-such a height aimed at a point so-far away, etc. etc. etc. This is pretty standard vehicle code stuff.

If he likes the look of it, that's fine. I personally don't care much for it, but personal tastes aside, I'll just say that I'm probably doing him a favor by pointing out that in addition to being likely illegal and running him the risk of a citation (or worse yet, an impound), it's probably not the safest thing on earth for nighttime driving. This is why I suggested "drive it during the day". In case you haven't noticed, our cars are pretty vulnerable on the road due to high-profile vehicles having a hard time seeing them.

But of course this is "bull****" to you because evidently I disagree with your personal tastes in headlights. Very mature.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:21 AM
944J
Banned

In California they only have to be 22 inches high.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

24400. (a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

(b) As used in subdivision (a), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:

(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.

(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.

(c) This section shall become operative on July 1,

24401. Whenever any motor vehicle is parked or standing upon a highway any headlamp that is lighted shall be dimmed or on the lower beam.

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

That's almost 2' above the ground. Someone measure it, but I believe that's considerably higher than the mounting point of a 944 driving/fog lamp assembly.

This is somewhat open for interpretation based on the definition of "main lights" versus "driving lights" but I find this portion interesting:

Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code
4403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.
I think you might have a helluva time convincing a cop or judge that those are "main lights", not "foglamps".
Old 07-05-2006, 03:03 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Got Boost?
But of course this is "bull****" to you because evidently I disagree with your personal tastes in headlights. Very mature.
No, the "BS" that i speak of is you showing your *** every time you speak. you think you know everything but your ingnorance just overwhelms everything you say. Take this quote for example...

Dumb question, but what exactly is the advantage of a wasted spark setup? So it fires again on the exhaust stroke? Big deal
you said this in my FS thread of my Vitesse wasted spark system. obviously you had no idea what you were talking about.

on a side note... I could care less if you don't like his light setup.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:17 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back on topic....

I don't like the first set.. look like it has lazy eye syndrom. I love MPD47's!

Mine are going to be similar to the first image, however i am removing the bucket completly. Do a search on my name and "fixed headlight project", they are getting built.. i should have mine done in the next few weeks
Old 07-05-2006, 03:21 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

i might be going with a set of these for my 944S......

Last edited by jgporsche; 07-05-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Got Boost?
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgporsche
No, the "BS" that i speak of is you showing your *** every time you speak. you think you know everything but your ingnorance just overwhelms everything you say. Take this quote for example...

you said this in my FS thread of my Vitesse wasted spark system. obviously you had no idea what you were talking about.

on a side note... I could care less if you don't like his light setup.
It's not about liking it necessarily, it's the fact that ultimately it's illegal and unsafe. My personal preferences (and yours) are irrelevant.

With regards to the wasted spark thing - that's called an "honest question". I'm sure the moderators of this forum appreciate the fact that such honest questions by new people to the forum are refered to as "bull****" by geniuses such as yourself. That's exceedingly mature and reflects so well on the forum they're trying to run/promote here.

So I guess "honest questions" are "bull****" to you, hmm? Now I've seen it all. . .

*sigh*

Since you brought the wasted spark thing up. . .

If I recall correctly, I even specifically pointed out that I wasn't trying to undercut your sale of said kit, I was simply inquiring why it cost 800 bucks, which seemed a little outlandish to me (and frankly, still does). The reason I asked that question was simply that I didn't understand why someone would charge that much money based on what my understanding of what a wasted spark setup was and did (which was ultimately correct, BTW - just a little incomplete in the context of 951-specific tuning). I provided you with an opportunity to convince me (and others) that your asking price was fair. FWIW I think you did adequately, though I wouldn't exactly consider a career in sales either.

Since you seem so hell-bent on invoking the search feature in a feeble attempt to stroke your own obviously insecure ego, let's look at some of the stuff YOU'VE posted recently, just for giggles:

(on 7/2/06, in response to the question, "Best Sounding Exhaust for the N/A - Just curious as to what set up you thought was the best sounding?", by a guy with 92 posts. . . Which oddly you DIDN'T refer to as "bull****" (seems inconsistent to me. It was another honest question. Why is this one not "bull****"?)
same thing for me on my 944S. MSDS 4-1 headers, w/ a Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust.
(in other words, an excuse to brag about a mod you've installed)

(on 6/28/06)
Cross Drilled Rotors

17" Twists (These will be powder coated black with red trim. They should be done in about 1.5 weeks)

(in other words, bragging about mods)

(on 6/27/06, in response to another "bull****" honest question from a guy with 15 posts)
you need to upgrade those old *** speakers. i have seen them disintegrate. i have 4x6 in the doors and 6.5" rear door panels. Blaupunkt head unit (BPV-755) and Blaupunkt speakers (transparent series).
(in other words, "throw money at the problem" just like I did! Aren't I cool?")

(on 6/26/06, in reference to a "bling bling" TV screen)
damn, i am in the process of doing this myself. i might just get it from you though. but some questions first.

1. is it a touch screen? [like mine would be?]

2. do you have an adapter for it to hook to a laptop, is their an adapter available for this model? ['cause I need that 'cause I want people to see how much money I can spend on stuff I'll use 0.000001% of the time]

3. is that a 7" screen? ['cause I can't have it bein' longer than my ******* now!]
(in other words, "look at how cool I'm gonna' be for spending even more money on my car!")

(on 6/21/06, in reference to exhaust systems)
i will be going through this process shortly. except i'll also be putting on some after market headers with my 3" exhaust
(brag, brag, brag. . . Yawn. This gets old.)

(on 6/19/06)
This is a replica spoiler I purchased awhile back. [I'm so cool!] Trying to raise money for my TEC3. [My **** will grow a full 2"!] Price is $205 shipped. It comes with fixing screws.

(brag, brag, brag. . . LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!)

(6/15/06, this one is priceless and speaks volumes. . . )
I bought some carbon fiber vinyl to redo the center console and possibly the door panels. I got started today on the cassette holder lid.

Before

After

Here are the updates....

Console is FINISHED
( Yeah, that makes sense. . . If it's a track car, remove the console. If it's not, what's the point? I'm sure THAT helps. Put some "type-R" stickers on the car too. Those will add HP fo' sheezy.)

I see the pattern here. I guess that explains your angst towards me. . . I guess I hit a nerve because you're one of those people that only knows how to bolt up pricey aftermarket parts and my calling out such people offends you. Don't distress though, I'm sure everyone looks at you in awe over how much money you must have to burn on your car. It'll make your ding-a-ling bigger too. Really! I promise. In fact, just go buy a Corvette or Ferrari 355 now while you're at it. More male enhancement to be had for simply spending money!

Congrats, you've made my earlier point for me. Thank you for suggesting that I invoke the search feature to save me the effort of explaining it. You did it better than I ever could. Anyway, based on that, I think I'm done with listening to you and this board in general for a while - there obviously isn't much real value to get out of this. No big loss I guess. It's sad that there are so many poseurs here (with apologies to PorschePhD and a few others, who sound like exactly the kinds of knowledgeable guys I'd be interested in chatting with over a beer sometime about what's involved with REAL tuning and P-car ownership - not just showing off how expensive my latest parts collection is).

O&O. Done.

Quick Reply: Low profile headlights