Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 & 944 spec racing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:18 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

from what I remember, the engine in question is a 2.5 8v. That means that any 8V 944 (except the 2.7 8v) and 924S is kosher.

As for the mods, I don't remember the specifics but you are looking at typical "bolt on" stuff. Chips, exhaust and (I think) intake are good, but nothing that involves going into the engine. I think any suspension stuff is good provided that they bolt to the factory locations. Swaybars, springs, shocks, torsion bars are all good. I think you can do front coil-overs (that was an option) but I know you cannot do rear coil-overs. I believe any chip is good, too, at least out here in VA.

Interior requires a seat, dashboard and other safety stuff, but is otherwise open.

Again, this is what I remember, but I'm sure I'm not too far off.

You can have a dedicated track car that has to be trailored there or drive it there yourself. Personally, I'm partial to the latter since I don't want to have to spend money on a tow vehicle. This has it's own problems since you can't get as many tools and such there, plus the car will probably be a little bit slower to keep it street legal. And then there's the issue of bringing it back if you break it. But for me, competitive racing is not in my crystal ball, so I'll live with most of the sacrifices.

BB.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great points!

I think I may try to find a turn key car. My S2 does not qualify and is too nice to race. I need to either find a throw away car and build it correctly or find one that is done already.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:30 PM
SS S2
Instructor

I think I'll just drive it there and home. If I maintain it right, it should not break (hahahaha). an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Helps to stay out of the tire barriers and try to be on the black stuff.

As it has been said "He didn't run out of roadway, he just ran out of talent"
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS S2
Geoff, If I remember right, I thought I read that you can use an aftermarket tuner chip.
Also, the rules say any 2496cc 944 - 924S. So the 944s is out, right?

Would there be any year that is better to use in the 944? I know the 85.5 and 86 wiring harness is a little less complicated, but I don't know of any other issues.

Could this be the kind of car that you "run what you brung" or should they trailered to the track?

Lastly, what do you think (realistically) it would cost to somewhat build and run a car? Forget the cost of the car, as that can be a tricky variable.

Damn, I have some many questions and really want to do this!
no 944S. Must be the 2.5L I-4 (2479 cc) engine. if you put the 2.5 in a 944S chassis, it'd be ok... I guess... but why bother? just buy a regular 944.. as for a better year, newer is nicer, but hey, it's a race car, so it'll be stripped, and only what's needed/required by the rules will be there. your call there.

I know people who do either, drive the car out, race it, drive it home, and I know people who trailer it. generaly the people who "run what you brung" have camber plates up front so they can set it to -2.0 for the race, and back to -.5 for the drive home. as for running the car, expect about $600 per race for tires, unless you're nice to them, then, you can run multiple weekends. but keep in mind, the tires must last through qualifying, testing, practice, and the race if you do run multiple times on the tires. Gas, since you can use 87 octane, and no other fuel adds all that much, whatever works... when I run my 924S on the track, I generally get 7 mpg... so figure accordingly for how many laps, the track length, etc.

Generally, with the cost of an engine rebuild, installing the saftey gear, suspension bits, etc. it can get to be about $5,000.00 if you do the work yourself. overall, not too bad. an engine rebuild isn't necessary, but people do it to make sure it has the power it should... just don't f*ck with the internals. don't balance it, or do anything, as it's all illegal. I've heard people say that if you get a junkyard 944 and make a spec car out of it, it'll cost about $8,000.00, so there's a base for ya. Unfortunately, I'm not a good resource for that, as I've been FAR too poor to prepare one myself.

regarding chips:
Originally Posted by rule book for 944spec
12 Induction / Exhaust / Fuel Systems/Engine Management

12.1 Throttle Body, Intake Manifold and Air Flow Meter
The throttle body and intake manifold must remain stock with no modifications. The air
flow meter must be unmodified but can be adjusted (tuned).

12.2 Air Filter
Any air filter or filtration system may be used.

12.3 Fuel Filler Neck
Must remain stock.

12.4 Ignition System
Any spark plugs and spark plug wires may be used. Any initial ignition timing may be
used.

12.5 Computer Engine Management System
Only the stock computer engine management system is allowed. No other engine
management system may be added. Aftermarket tuner chips may be used.

12.6 Exhaust System
The exhaust system may be modified from the cylinder head back, provided it meets
any sound requirements specified at events.

12.7 Throttle Cam
The throttle cam may be modified or replaced.
so aparently, I missed that part. Yes you can use chips. you CANNOT use a stand alone ECU.

So one last thing to keep in mind. you MUST have a provisionary license to run in NASA 944spec. that license is earned through experience and HPDE's. what you'll need to do is to attend the HPDE's and show improvement, thus moving from the novice ranks to the pro ranks. they'll move you when an instructor (who rides in the car with you) says it's alright. once you're in the top class, and the instructor says it's OK, then you're up for review, and you'll need a physical, etc. etc. once all that clears, you have the provisional license. you'll be allowed to race, but you're on probation, so if there are any mishaps that you are responsible for, the license might get pulled.

Best of luck to ya man, and if you need any help, feel free to message me or post in this thread.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
SS S2
Instructor

Forgive me, but what is a HPDE?

Also, I did not know about the licensing thing.

So you can't just show up and race.....good thing you told me!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

HPDE = high performance driver's education events. It's the typical track events we like to do with the focus on learning and not competitive racing.

BB.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Let me ask a simple question..Have you ever driven on a track before? If not, you have a ways to go before you should begin dreaming about a racecar.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
SS S2
Instructor

I have driven at Willow Springs (both the big track & the streets), Insperion in Sonoma (when it was Sears Point with the carousel), Button Willow and California Speedway. I have been to Fast Lane racing school at Willowsprings, Skip Barber in Sonoma, Bob Bondourant in AZ and open track day at the Streets of Willow in a 240Z & 350Z. I also participated in the Lexus High Performance Driving School at California speedway and won the autocross competition in a IS300 with the low e/t.

I can drive...that's not my worry. I just don't have the kind of $ that some of these guys to run a tricked out touring car, nor do I want to. Not to mention that I usually give up 100 lbs or so just having my *** in the seat. I want to simple car that makes the driver be the biggest factor and it is within a friendly, but competative series.

This sounds like what I have been looking for. Sorry I am not that hip to the acronims.

"Let me drive. I won't make a fool out of you." - Days of Thunder
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 PM
SS S2
Instructor

BTW, Thanks Geoff for all the info.

Ya see, that's the kind of group of guys I want to hang and race with.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

SS, no problem. With your experience, they should put you in a higher class in the HPDE... so you have a shorter journey. good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Be sure to go to an event and check out how many cars are actually racing in the class. There is a class up here in norcal, but no cars. And based on conversations with others, there are many spec cars that are built in SoCal, but the fields in the races are a bit thin.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Be sure to go to an event and check out how many cars are actually racing in the class. There is a class up here in norcal, but no cars. And based on conversations with others, there are many spec cars that are built in SoCal, but the fields in the races are a bit thin.
That is true, but I don't see 944 Spec fading away into oblivion. Based on a few recent threads at www.nasaforums.com in the 944 Spec section, it seems to be growing at a good pace. The only way to get more cars out there is to get more folks to sign up

I for one can't wait to get my 924S done so I can get my no-experience *** on the track and into 944 Spec ASAP!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:20 AM
svochuck
Instructor

" as for running the car, expect about $600 per race for tires, unless you're nice to them, then, you can run multiple weekends. but keep in mind, the tires must last through qualifying, testing, practice, and the race if you do run multiple times on the tires."

Geoff your doing great but.... I'm still on my first set of tires (maybe half tred) after 3 full weekends on them and I was not being "nice" at all . Last race weekend I really pushed them hard !

I would guess 6 weekends on a set of 944-spec tires (toyo RA1), but it does depend on how nice you are to them.

SS S2 visit the 944-spec forum I bet you could get a ride in a 944-spec at the next event, and lots of info.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum....a55e0bb33eb089

chuck
Old 07-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Really? that long? damn... well, there's the first thing I'm wrong on
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,
Thanks for provide some input while I have ben gone.

SS S2
944 spec is a great class and growing in leaps and bounds. Rules are pretty straight forward.
Most of the discussions for class happen at the nasaforums.com area.

I estimated operating costs at about $600 per weekend including entry fees and normal wear on the cars. (tires, brakes fuel ,etc) all included. I poseted this on 944spec.com.

Build cost for cars varies depending on how much wrenching you can do yourself. The more you can do the less it will cost. Skills need to build and maintain spec car are the same as what you would want to maintain a normal 944 street car. No special skills needed by any means.

In Nor Cal there are about 6 cars and they are having their official 944 spec kick off at Thunderhill August 11-13.

The class is growing well with new cars and drivers in the Rocky Mtn region, and Midwest. Even a few are running in PCA on the east coast in SP-1 which has the same rules as 944 spec.

Quick Reply: 924 & 944 spec racing!