Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy 944 shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy 944 shifting

I'm sorry to make another thread about this one, but I checked up on old threads, and didnt find the info I needed. The shifter in my 88 944 has crazy amounts of slop in it. Side to side in any gear it probably has 1.5-2 inches of play. It shifts fine, except sometimes 5th and Reverse are a tad vague. I heard that there's a fairly simple fix to the problem, by making sure a bolt is tightened. A few people loaded pictures of the bolt in question, but for some reason it just won't load on my computer. Could someone help me out?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a pin/stud (about 10mm in diameter) sticking out of the shift lever, which connects to the rod that goes to the transmission. This pin is probably worn out, can be replaced with a 10mm bolt (tapped only at the end). This requires some basic hand tools, including a tap. Of course you can buy a new one.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Drewsifer...I hear 'ya fella. That thread had to do with the bolt near the transaxel..or on top of it. I could not see the pic either. I also would love to see the pics again.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Drewsifer...I hear 'ya fella. That thread had to do with the bolt near the transaxel..or on top of it. I could not see the pic either. I also would love to see the pics again.
Yeah thats what I was thinking of! I just couldnt remember for sure where the bolt was located, so I didn't say anything.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
I'm sorry to make another thread about this one, but I checked up on old threads, and didnt find the info I needed. The shifter in my 88 944 has crazy amounts of slop in it. Side to side in any gear it probably has 1.5-2 inches of play. It shifts fine, except sometimes 5th and Reverse are a tad vague. I heard that there's a fairly simple fix to the problem, by making sure a bolt is tightened. A few people loaded pictures of the bolt in question, but for some reason it just won't load on my computer. Could someone help me out?
Yours sounds more like the shift lever pin, especially the side to side slop. IMO this is still the best permanent fix for a bad shift tube and pin and eleiminates all metal-to-metal contact using replaceable nylon bushings.. I've done several now and my 86 still has less than 1/4" of sideplay after 2 years. Do the rear bolt first and if it's still loose take a look at the link.

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech-july-03.htm
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Yours sounds more like the shift lever pin, especially the side to side slop. IMO this is still the best permanent fix for a bad shift tube and pin and eleiminates all metal-to-metal contact using replaceable nylon bushings.. I've done several now and my 86 still has less than 1/4" of sideplay after 2 years. Do the rear bolt first and if it's still loose take a look at the link.

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech-july-03.htm
While thats something I probably should do, right now I just dont have time. I hate to sound like I'm taking the cheap way out, but is there a quicker fix for this? Would I be hurting anything if I dont take care of it right away?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

A new shifter assembly is only like $75 and takes maybe 30 min. to install, if that.

There's no harm in delaying the repair as long as you're a bit careful about shifting. Take your time, don't force it, etc....
Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
While thats something I probably should do, right now I just dont have time. I hate to sound like I'm taking the cheap way out, but is there a quicker fix for this? Would I be hurting anything if I dont take care of it right away?
That's up to you I guess. Until you use a tight shifter you don't know what you are missing. A new shift lever is only $39 at: http://www.autopartsworld.com or $46.75 at Paragon. If the shift tube is rounded out don't bother with a new lever until you are willing to fix it right. Mine used to feel like an old VW, not exactly a good thing on a Porsche IMO.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:23 AM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stan944
There is a pin/stud (about 10mm in diameter) sticking out of the shift lever, which connects to the rod that goes to the transmission. This pin is probably worn out, can be replaced with a 10mm bolt (tapped only at the end). This requires some basic hand tools, including a tap. Of course you can buy a new one.
can you expand on this repair? does the bolt replace the pin and clip on the shift lever?

thanks

R
Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 944 Robin
can you expand on this repair? does the bolt replace the pin and clip on the shift lever?

thanks

R
Exactly. You cut out the pin, tap a hole for the 10mm bolt (10mm bolt makes a better fit than a 3/8 bolt), secure the bolt with a nut on the exit side. Use some washers and grease (e.g. lithium). Make sure to use a longer (and not entirely threaded) bolt so that the threaded section is not inside the rod that goes to the transmission. Cut the unused section of the bolt.
But after reading that a new shifter costs $39, I'm not sure if it's worth doing this fix with a bolt.
In either case, you'll thank yourself for doing it, as the shifting is so much better.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

When and if you do the shift lever, 9 times out of 10 the shift tube needs to be returned to round and either resleeved or requires the plastic bushings in my link above. I tried just the lever replacement on my 86 and still had a full 1-1/2" of slop due to shift tube wear until I took it one step further.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Steve & Stan, both excellent plans. i am going to do some hardware hunting at work. several of our project have nice shoulder bolts. but the price of a new lever is worth going that route too. may just do both,always nice to have a spare!

Robin

Quick Reply: Sloppy 944 shifting