Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell me what this is? Image Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:31 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Default Can you tell me what this is? Image Fixed

I've been trying to identify a "Tunk" sound when I hit some pot holes and while looking around in the back, I noticed the following,

I recognise the torque tube but what is the purpuse of those prongs, could they hit together and wouldn't that make quite a "Tunk" if they did?

TIA
Stephane
'90 S2

Last edited by Sysgen; 06-21-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:09 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

That picture is of the ears on the torque tube (hanging down) and torsion bar tube. they should not touch each other at all.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:12 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It could be a loose hatch. Worn out or mal-adjusted latch pins will allow some free play back there and over severe bumps (like, do we have any in Montreal?) it'll clunk.

Or maybe it’s because of the missing muffler mount?
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:17 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

those are there so that if you get hit the engine and trans doesnt shoot out the back of the car...shouldnt touch..close though. Im thinking hatch, loose spare, exhaust.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:26 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Very funny Derek

I received them in the mail yesterday (thanks to por951turbo)!! I should be installing them tomorrow.

I dont think it's the muffler though, it sounds more solid than that, and almost every hole, small bump, etc, makes the sound. Very annoying. It's defenitly coming from the back, almost as if the suspension was loose, I can't really record the sound of it, but I might try.

xsboost90: Thanks! learned something new again, makes a lot of sense!! I'd say that it might be more if you are hit in the back, you won't receive the transmission in the behind because of the way the ears are installed.

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
It could be a loose hatch. Worn out or mal-adjusted latch pins will allow some free play back there and over severe bumps (like, do we have any in Montreal?) it'll clunk.

Or maybe it’s because of the missing muffler mount?
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:31 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Stephane, how's your schedule? I'll take a drive with you to hear the sound.
Old 06-21-2006 | 12:36 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Cool, that would be great, I already had someone drive it and he tought it was the muffler but I checked and it cant be that, so a second opinion would be great.

Next couple of evenings should be fine. I'll shout you a PM with my address or we could meet half way, I dont remember what part of town your in.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:38 AM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Sysgen
I recognise the torque tube but what is the purpuse of those prongs, could they hit together and wouldn't that make quite a "Tunk" if they did?

TIA
Stephane
'90 S2
Yes quite a tunk, though I don't think you would hear it over the ESSUV that just slamed into the rear of your car Yes crash protection structure was my guess too.

As for usefull information is it a single "Tunk" or like "tunk-tunk-tunk" mine does the latter over lightly uneven pavement and I suspect the rear shocks and or upper mounts are done.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:29 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
those are there so that if you get hit the engine and trans doesnt shoot out the back of the car...shouldnt touch..close though. Im thinking hatch, loose spare, exhaust.

that doesnt add up. the left of the pic is the front of the car. if the front got hit it would just push those catches farther apart...

maybe its for a rear end collision...

(edit..already been said)
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:47 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

It's more tunk-tunk-tunk !! Not sure how the shock could do this, what are the upper mounts you mention?

Derek should drive my car today, so I'll be back with more info this afternoon, hopefully.

Originally Posted by 951North
Yes quite a tunk, though I don't think you would hear it over the ESSUV that just slamed into the rear of your car Yes crash protection structure was my guess too.

As for usefull information is it a single "Tunk" or like "tunk-tunk-tunk" mine does the latter over lightly uneven pavement and I suspect the rear shocks and or upper mounts are done.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:51 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

it may be the exhaust bumping off your cv joint. I had that happen when my exhaust was hanging improperly.
Old 06-21-2006 | 01:56 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

That was the first guess but if I shake the muffler maddly with my hand or foot, I cannot recreate the sound and by looking at it it's too far, although my muffler does seem very close to my swaybar! I even took a long peice of wood and wedged it under the muffler and try to pry it up but I can't, it hung pretty solid.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:05 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Sysgen
It's more tunk-tunk-tunk !! Not sure how the shock could do this, what are the upper mounts you mention?

Derek should drive my car today, so I'll be back with more info this afternoon, hopefully.
Sorry, I was talking out my a$$, there are no upper shock mounts on 944's Guess I should check the pet before I open my mouth...

However there are these.... That's what I'm thinking! Do these ever go bad?

Old 06-21-2006 | 02:22 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Oh man, I've got to get this program!! That's nice. Where can I get it?

I have no information if that part fails but it would make a racket if it was missign or broken.
Old 06-23-2006 | 08:02 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I'm under my car and trying to find that damn noise and I try to prode and shake everything around and I start pushing on the transmission and it moves!!! Should I be able to move it from side to side????

I can push on it and it move fairly easily from left to right???

Quick Reply: Can you tell me what this is? Image Fixed