Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAVE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
It's a money symbol.. like owning a new range rover instead of a jeep.
I think that just says you're a glutton for punishment.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually got a wave from a 996t and a carrera gt. An old guy in a 993 seemed annoyed of the fact that I honked at him and gave me a bad look. I've seen many 944s and all of them so far have waved.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also been come friends with a neighbor who has a Lamborghini Diablo. He honks when he sees my garage open and revs every so often.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Yea, the waves have been bad lately. The last time this subject came up was about a month ago. The last time I got a decent wave was a year ago here in Brooklyn. A guy in an S2 pulled up next to me. He told me my turbo was nice. I told him his S2 was nice and I never drove one before. He said he never drove a turbo before. I told him to pull over. Then we traded cars for a few lights. Then we pulled over again and introduced ourselves. Pretty cool.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wave, but never expect a response. Thats why I attend 944Fest. Real enthusiasts there.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
RI Fast Eddie
Advanced

I think it has to do with being an enthusiast versus being a guy (or lady) who owns a Porsche. I get waves but mostly from older cars (914, 911, 944, etc). Most of the older car owners appreciate these cars and put the time, money and love into them to keep them going. Do you really expect a Cayman owner to wave, its typcially a rich soccer mom who calls her car a Porsch instead of a Porsche.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
namespace
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I find the same thing downunder, got a head turn from a 924 driver, going the opposite direction on the freeway, I think we both waved, but missed the moment, due to seeing each other too late, 911, etc owners just plain ignore, as if they consider a 944, not worthy?.

Pulled in to a gas station with my 4 yr old and parked next to a nice 996, the owner was getting in, as we were getting out, my daughter says "hey Daddy, thats a Porsche" I said "yes, it is sweety" and gave a smile and nod to the driver, who replied with a sarcastic "hehehehe" - ******.

Although, not all are the same, my chiropractor is a GT3 and Cayman owner and he is very forthcoming and have good old chats about Porsches and cars in general, then he charges me $50 for the 15min visit.....
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

http://www.44andmoreparts.com/Misc/Flash.htm

It is hit or miss. The best I ever get now a days is a hand gesture or maybe a head knod.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello
Yea, the waves have been bad lately. The last time this subject came up was about a month ago. The last time I got a decent wave was a year ago here in Brooklyn. A guy in an S2 pulled up next to me. He told me my turbo was nice. I told him his S2 was nice and I never drove one before. He said he never drove a turbo before. I told him to pull over. Then we traded cars for a few lights. Then we pulled over again and introduced ourselves. Pretty cool.
Brooklyn? I thought the story was going to be: I gave him my car, and I never saw it again!

Just kidding - I'm from Brooklyn originally! Where do you park the Porsche there?

As for the wave, some older Porsche owners wave, and some new Porsche owners who previously must have owned a 924/944/968 wave. But as a rule, Boxsters, Cayannes, Caymans...forget the wave!

Pretty scary that $50k cars are SO common in today's America!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

The wave/headlight flashing was very big twenty years ago. Many of the people you see today are new Porsche owners definitely not rennlist members most likely not even PCA members. Most people are doing their own thing and don't care or know about the camaraderie that goes with the marquee. Most people that wave are long time Porsche owners and Porsche enthusiasts. The others are just out driving their status symbol and don't want to acknowledge that there is another car on the road as nice as theirs. Many new Porsche owners feel all previous models are inferior.

I came up behind a guy a while back in my turbo in a new 997 C4S cab. Top down driving slow in the middle lane. You can tell he was out their to be seen in his beautiful new car with top down and his bald head shinning in the sun. I pulled up along side and gave him a thumbs up. He just looked at me and at my car and you could tell he had no idea what model it was. He gave me a faint smile and stepped on the gas. I just punched it and left him a half-mile behind and he knew he had been had. Total poser and knew nothing about driving the car he had. I have no problem with that but a simple wave or nod would have been nice.

I try to wave to every Porsche I see but you see so few compared to 15 years ago that I find I miss them because they come up unexpectedly and then it is already too late.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I came up behind a guy a while back in my turbo in a new 997 C4S cab. Top down driving slow in the middle lane. You can tell he was out their to be seen in his beautiful new car with top down and his bald head shinning in the sun. I pulled up along side and gave him a thumbs up. He just looked at me and at my car and you could tell he had no idea what model it was.
I'd like to meet the retard owner of a 997 that doesn't recognize another 911!? It's really a shame! Your '94 is a modern classic. Shows that most new Porsche owners are just posers who will wind up trading them in for the new BMW or Benz in 2 years!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

When I drive my Boxster I always wave at the older Porsches just to see the look of shock since most Boxster drivers seem clueless and don't even wave at other Boxsters!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

"New" porsche owners have been this way for decades. You heard the same complaints from owners of 60's and 70's 911's/914's about late 80's 944 owners, 928's, 968's... the list goes on.

Yes, it'd be nice to see more community out there but lets not get "holier than thou" about it. We've got plenty of owners here who think that appreciating the car is "driving it like you stole it," drivers who've never tracked their car and never will, driver's who think just because they went to the track they know how to drive, drivers who track frequently but are hung up on some esoteric technique that has nothing to do with better laptimes, drivers who think better laptimes are the end all be all at the cost of all else...

The list goes on and on.

Wave. If they wave back that's a great connection you just made with someone. If not, there's always another porsche coming down the road eventually.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 PM
elf89
Pro

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
Wave. If they wave back that's a great connection you just made with someone. If not, there's always another porsche coming down the road eventually.
Amen. Good call!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
When I drive my Boxster I always wave at the older Porsches just to see the look of shock since most Boxster drivers seem clueless and don't even wave at other Boxsters!!
Proves my point that enthusiasts will wave, posers will not!

How is the S treating you Marc??

Quick Reply: WAVE?