Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 86 944 [ Charlotte ]

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
mrwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is to definately hold on to her (even if she becomes a "date night" car). Besides we need to keep the Charlotte numbers up.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the next GTG.

Nelson
Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree Joe, you need to hold onto that beauty. Fernando, now that you mention it I rember you talking about that. I am not looking forward to it but it needs to be done. While I am in there I am going to do, tie rods and ends, koni's, sway bars, and a few other odds and ends to tighten her up. I am hoping to do it in August but we'll see and I am hoping to do a GTG some time soon. Good luck, Richard
Old 06-21-2006, 06:37 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm back from vacation in mid-July, anytime after that is good.

I 've done them on Tim's turbo and my car and they are no sweat at all. We just need good sockets in the control arms and wont know until we get the old ***** out.

I recommend the brass kits from Rennbay or SSI - I used the Rennbay kits and like them very much. Travis has everything included for the rebuild - nice ball pins and pinch bolts.

Richard - we should go after everything in arm - new bushings (we will have to removed the old ones - I have a few proven tricks with removing those, but a small bottle press will make quick work of it) and we should update with 968 caster blocks.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fezz
...I recommend the brass kits from Rennbay or ...
Humm....humm.... Ours are Aluminum Bronze mind you.
Brass bushings in high (any) friction aplications will work harden and crack.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Joe, I have new caster blocks fortunately so no need for them. But I would like to do the other bushings, Travis, bronze/aluminum is the way to go, huh?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

you are right Travis.

4k bidder made contact tonight - sale appears eminent and I'm not 100% mentally prepared.

Richard, i have been talking Boxster but a nice turbo is definately desirable. I keep struggling between more modern vs. i can still work on it. I need a low mileage car <70k and i wouldn't want to pay more than 9k. Every year - a handful of nice cars come by - I want to be ready to sieze an opportunity.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Good luck Joe, I see the delema, under 9k for a car with under 70k on is a hard one to find. But I am sure it could happen. I paid a good bit more than than for my car which at the time had 66k on it. Anyways, a boxster is a nice car and I wouldn't mind getting a ride in or even driving one (hint hint). You have an awesome car and I am sure the new owner will continue to treat it well.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:41 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

hey guys, to bring this thread back up....we need to start planning this gtg....:-P
Old 06-24-2006, 02:26 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I'm planning my annual GTG for either July 22 or July 29....haven't decided yet.
I'll email everyone soon
Old 06-24-2006, 06:54 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Sounds good Peter, btw, we also need to plan a drive some time. I am about to finish up school so after that I may be able to plan something. I am also planning my bianual gtg and this time a tech session for some suspension upgrades. BTW, man I wish I could buy Joe's car and sell the Volvo. Someone is getting an awesome car for next to nothing in my book.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:49 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

damn right they are! It is a hell of a nice car, too nice for 4 grand. To think, I helped put the timing belt on (well, I drunk beer and cheered everyone else on!)
Old 07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

hey all, back from vacation.
i responded to the GTG - i'll be there.

winning bidder contacted me while I was on vacation and informed me he was not buying the car since I was not able to deliver it 2 days before I recieved the phone call. (i was in a place not able to recieve phone calls easily and no access to email - I, of course informed him of all this before I left and before the auction closed) (he bid on the car before asking ANY questions) (he claimed he and the wife wanted the car for 4th of July weekend - so when I could get a hold of me - he bought another one)

anyway - I still have the car and will be driving it this weekend. 2 other guys (one from cali) have sent me emails, from ebay, and I am waiting to hear from them - the car may sell anyway.

Richard, I'm in contact with a Dr. in Fla. about his '87 turbo - 64k on the clock and 7k. (he wanted 9, I offerd 5)
But, I'm not in love with it - white with maroon interior, no LSD - car looks to be in fine condition inside and out but he hasn't sent any engine pics or other documentation. I dont want to make any compromises if I buy a 951.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Joe, as I said in the e-mail to you. Your car is easily a 6-7k car and is worth every pennie. It is a wonderful car and I look forward to seeing you. I hope you get a nice 951 they are loads of fun, but so is your car.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,

BTW, here is the official thread for the GTG....you can chime in there.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

i agree with you richard and would love to see it - but the NA prices in the 5-6k range are for car with much lower mileage. Nice turbos can be had for 7k with much lower mileage.

I'm currently trading emails, info and pics with someone who took an interest during the ebay post - we'll see if anything comes of that. I also called the PO this morning (she is local) and told her i was getting ready to sell at 4k and asked if she had any interest in taking the car back. I may be meeting up with her this weekend. Between what she spent and what I have spent - the 4k is pennies and would be a crime to give away.

Ran the car down I-77 today to south charlotte, back up through the city and up the Brookshire back home running some errands - in slight excess of the speed limit. I had the top out and the tunes cranked. There is no car on the planet for 4k that can give such a thrill, feel and style.

p.s. - i blew by some post-modern suburbanite in a Cayenne - probably didnt help the image of the 944.

Quick Reply: FS: 86 944 [ Charlotte ]