Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So smoke starts pouring out from under my hood...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Default So smoke starts pouring out from under my hood...

My GF and I were driving the 944 back from a short happy hour with the AC on (the Miata is off the road getting some new gauges ) and I notice that the AC stops blowing cold. I know it needs a recharging but that was still "not right". A minute or two later, while sitting at a light, white smoke starts pouring out from under the hood!

Eep.

I quickly pull over, grab the fire extinguisher and we both exit the car. I go to the front to analyze the situation and see that it's still smoking, but not billowing like a massive fire. I also feel no extra heat. I pop the hood (but don't open it) and that doesn't release any extra smoke.

Deciding that there probably isn't a massive fire, I feel that the hood release is cool and carefully open it, prepared to jump back or blast with the extinguisher. When open, I find that the smoke is coming from the AC compressor. I'm not exactly sure of the source, but I see that there is a plastic harness-looking thing (I couldn't say for certain) that was right on top of it and molten. I also hear lots of little crackling.

After letting it cool I try and remove the molten stuff but it just melts in the pliers. I turn off the AC and continue driving, making it the rest of the way back with no other issues.

I think I shorted out a harness somewhere. There was no belt squeal during all of this and the belts are fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not a siezed compressor. I'll have to investigate this further. It sucks that I have essentially lost AC in that car, but it's not too big a deal since I don't use it all that often anyway.

But still... that scared the **** out of me...

Thoughts?

BB.

P.S.~ I need a beer...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no thoughts, just wide eyed and dropped to the floor mouth. thank god it wasn't an actual fire, but wtf happened?!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

holy crap that would freak me out
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

It seems to be a shorted wiring harness. I'll get pictures in a couple days when I can dig in there. It seems like an odd place for a harness to be (right next to the pully) so I don't know if it came loose and wore itself down or what...?

BB.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm and the fuse didnt blow? thats kinda odd
Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AC clutch, or belts? I hate smoke........of any kind coming from a car. Sometimes REAL scary stuff. Except what I choose to draw into my lungs. I'm a smoker, ya know.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

The belts look good, but no idea on the clutch. I'll know more when I dig in to it. But at least I can drive the car in the meantime with no problems.

Originally Posted by cjeckert
Hmm and the fuse didnt blow? thats kinda odd
I had a similar incident years ago with my Scirocco when the alternator wiring harness went. Not as much smoke, but no fuses went then, either.

I attribute it to the glorious german wiring.

BB.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:07 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Same thing happened to me. My AC Compressor seized and died. The smoke was from the belt. Turned the AC off and drove the 70 miles home, no problems, but arrived hot and sticky. Bit the bullet and put on a new Porsche AC compressor...
Old 06-17-2006, 03:14 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

hey, if you need a new wiring harness for it, pm me. i have an extra wiring harness for an entire car! lol..... don't ask.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Well, I'll dig into it sometime next week and see what I come up with. At that point, I'll either contact you for the harness or cry for a new compressor...

BB.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:33 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Well, I'll dig into it sometime next week and see what I come up with. At that point, I'll either contact you for the harness or cry for a new compressor...

BB.
or maybe even both. lol.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:41 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Ooo! Wouldn't that be fun???

BB.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:31 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Hrm...

I just took a look at the belt. I didn't get too far before I noticed the 1/4" split from one end. Not good.

I then turned on the car and went to observe. While wearing eye protection, I had my rooomate turn on the AC. I couldn't get a good look at the compressor but the engine slowed substantially (more than the usual AC slowdown) and I heard a groaning that went away as soon as he turned off the AC. He turned it back on and the engine slowed again (no groaning this time).

So, yeah, methinks it's the compressor.

Granted, I can ignore this during the summer, for the most part. If it's that hot Tracey can drive. Unfortunately, this might make my job interviews a little more annoying but I'll play that one by ear. If nothing else I'll go in shorts and change into the suit when I get there. Hopefully, they'll be impressed by my resourcefulness...

BB.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The compressor can seize and the rubber damper of the a/c clutch will break. The pulley will turn after the rubber damper of the a/c clutch breaks off and the friction is what creates all the smoke and noise. I have seen that happen twice and changing the compressor/recharge the system will fix your problem.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

I shudder to think what it'll cost to recharge the system. But then, I'll have to look into the cost of various o-rings and the reciever/drier because this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to R134a.

BB.

Quick Reply: So smoke starts pouring out from under my hood...