Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where there's smoke, there's oil (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default UPDATE: Where there's smoke, there's oil (pics)

I knocked out my first oil change on my 88 this past weekend (thanks for all the handy tips on the site, BTW. it was a snap) and I spotted something that didn't look too good. There was oil leaking from the back of the cam housing and down onto my exhaust. See pics (yes, that's a Pampers box catching the oil....it was the only box I had laying around).

From reading past threads and seeing where this is coming from and how it's leaking, I'm guessing it's the rear cam housing gasket? It's not a really bad leak (yet) but it's definitely enough to make pretty smoke when I'm sitting still in traffic or at a light. Assuming it is the gasket that needs replacing, is this what I remove to get to it? Pretty simple?

Last edited by MJDore; 06-24-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Rear cam tower gasket, cork, mean sucker to change. Be patient and it can be done for a few bucks and a lot of cussing.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah its a pain in the ***, I opted to just remove the cam tower to change the gasket instead of dealing with hard to reach bolts. I used a cork gasket with gasket sealer on both sides, and didnt tighten it tight, just snug, then retorqued it a little bit. If you compress that gasket it WILL leak, and you will have to do it again. Good luck with it.

-Jeff
Old 06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
MJDore
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
Yeah its a pain in the ***, I opted to just remove the cam tower to change the gasket instead of dealing with hard to reach bolts. I used a cork gasket with gasket sealer on both sides, and didnt tighten it tight, just snug, then retorqued it a little bit. If you compress that gasket it WILL leak, and you will have to do it again. Good luck with it.

-Jeff
Can't wait...

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Did anyone have any luck finding one of these at an auto parts store? I'd hate to buy a dollar part and pay 6 bucks for S&H.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:41 PM
MJDore
Instructor

So, after a week's vacation I finally got around to replacing this gasket. I'm not totally convinced it's stopping my leak, though. It looks to me that oil is still coming out though it's hard to tell if it's still burning what had come out before. Are there other gaskets in this same area that are prone to leak?

We were careful not to overtighten this cork gasket and we used the proper sealer. Frustrating.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam tower seal (the one that goes all the way around the base of the red cam tower in your picture) or rear balance shaft seal is typically the issue. The latter is better in a sense, as it can usually be repaired with only a smear of yamabond. Replacement is pretty much an engine out procedure, so the low rent solution is the only rational option. Cam tower seal should be put off if possible until the belts need to be done anyway. It's roughly $700 in labor, the cost of the part is de minimus.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 AM
MJDore
Instructor

Originally Posted by KLR
Cam tower seal (the one that goes all the way around the base of the red cam tower in your picture) or rear balance shaft seal is typically the issue. The latter is better in a sense, as it can usually be repaired with only a smear of yamabond. Replacement is pretty much an engine out procedure, so the low rent solution is the only rational option. Cam tower seal should be put off if possible until the belts need to be done anyway. It's roughly $700 in labor, the cost of the part is de minimus.
Well, fortunately, the belts have already been replaced about 3 months ago prior to me purchasing the car. Engine out to replace the cam tower seal? Seriously? Holy cow..... This car is becoming the bane of my existence. I can't win for losing. To top it all off my wife's 02 Maxima is down right now with something going on in the fuel delivery system...hoping its the filter but fearing its the pump.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:36 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the leak is still coming from the top then its mostly likely the cam tower gasket.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:39 AM
MJDore
Instructor

Can anyone point me towards the rear balance shaft seal so I can wipe it down and check it? Pics or guides anywhere? I just checked Clark's Garage and didn't see anything. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:54 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is the cam tower leaking, you can do that without pulling the engine easy. I think someone meant to do the lower balance you would have to pull the engine, althought I have resealed them before without pulling the engine. Its location is on the pass. side of the engine right above the oil pan gasket. Its a long square type cover going about 3/4 the length of the block and has a circular disc on the back end of it.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 AM
MJDore
Instructor

This is definitely coming from the area of the cam tower. I am going out to wipe and spray everything off to test it again now that it has cooled off overnight. I'll report back.

Any risk in driving it as long as I contiually check and add oil? (Other than the friendly smell).
Old 06-25-2006, 02:40 PM
MJDore
Instructor

I just wiped down everything and started her up. It got wet with oil pretty quick. It looks to me like its leaking in the EXACT same spot it was before. I'm beginning to think we didn't put the rear gasket on properly or overtightened it. I'm headed to NAPA right now to buy a gasket kit and we're going to try to make our own. Anyone done this before? When we installed the last cork gasket we used hi-tac to seal. Bad move?

Thanks, guys.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:07 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear balance shaft seal would not leak and cause oil to go so far to drip on the headers, unless it is leaking like a running tap water.

It is either the rear camshaft seal, or the camshaft gasket. Parts for both are ~$10, and if you pull the tower, put in 20-30 miniutes to remove the camshaft housing.

The three 10mm bolts for the rear gasket are torqued at 6 Ft/lbs, and there is only on way the gasket can be installed. Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry, and the manual did no call for any sealants to be used, so i installed mine dry. Double check the torque on thos ebolts after a few minutes. 3+ months and no leaks from that seal for me.

If you pull the housing, torque the 6mm allen heads to 14 f/lbs, and the top 6 plugs at 30 ft/lbs.

You would need to remove the timing belt off the cam gear and retension the belt if the camshaft housing is to get off.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:59 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Well, after a further look using a mirror to see up under the housing while the engine was running, we can tell it is definitely not coming from the newly installed rear cam gasket. It's pouring out right from the first allen head bolt on the left (under the 'P' in 'PORSCHE'). It has to be the cam tower gasket. More than I want to chew off so she'll go the mechanic first thing in the AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Ghost944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same problem (i guess i should have searched before i posted something, noob mistake)

Quick Reply: Where there's smoke, there's oil (pics)