Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best worst day ever (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best worst day ever (pics)

I bought a 89 944 about 2 weeks ago. It finally gets out of the shop yesterday, I drive home, it rides perfectly and smooth. I get it home and bask in my glory. 1hr later as I drive home from returning a movie I hit a fairly large pothole, I am going about 25-32mph and I get jerked around a bit, after cursing about the possible rim damage i could have gotten, I go to shift and the stick wont budge, I keep trying putting the clutch in and trying to shift, but it wont move. I coast (luckly) onto a sidestreet. Where I turn off the car and look to see what just happened. I saw nothing, so I went back inside and tried to start it. It tries to turn over but wont. After every possible starting technique was tried I locked the car, went home and called a friend who is great with 944s, he is going to look at it today, but just incase can anyone think of what could be wrong with it>??>?
Plz help
pics

Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

where in NJ?

So it's stuck in gear AND it won't start?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:54 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

no its not stuck in gear, now the stick will move when the clutch is in (like is should) but just wont start now. Haddonfield, NJ (south jersey)
Old 06-11-2006, 10:01 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

What happens when you try to start it? Does it turn over and just not start? Any strange noises while cranking?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:02 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

yes, basically it turns over and everything works well but it will not start. no strange noises either.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not a mechanic but I am trying to think of how the two things (stuck in gear for a period and NO Start) can be related. I am thinking they're not. What do you know about the car's history ( it's a nice, clean looking car by the way!)?

If the car cranks/turns over and there's no strange noises...then I would think fuel or spark. But since it's new to you, I'd also be concerned about the T-belt unless you know some history.

Some simple stuff you should be able to check yourself...

1) DME relay - do a search here...the relay allows the fuel pump to operate...no relay..no fuelpump..no start. When cranking the car you can check under the rear of the car to see if you hear the pump running. There is a way ( should find it with search) to temporarily bypass the relay with a small piece of wire and aligator clips to get home if that's the problem....also buy a spare relay..like $40 and keep in the glovebox!

2) check all the electrical connectors in and around the engine to make sure they are fully connected and not loose. A few of these...like the flywheel sensors between the firewall and motor...can cause no-start if not actually connected I believe.

best of luck!

Joe
Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be electrical connections or a relay if it was related to hitting a pothole, i would think. Check the refference and speed sensor plugs, (near the back of the intake manifold near the firewall, two rectangle plugs held on by a bracket connected to the back of the intake manifold).
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

if it was electrical, then why when i tried to shift the 1st time did it not shift???
could i have possibily damaged the clutch or cable?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

clutch is hydraulic...
Old 06-11-2006, 11:23 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check ref sensor plugs at the back of the engine, bay there are two and an o2 plug all in one braket. Wiggle them around and see if it starts- or it just may after sitting. If so your plugs are corroded. Not sure why it wouldnt shift seems unrelated.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same no start problem a week after i traded for my 944(85.5). Both the square plugs on the back of intake were loose. the locking part was broken allowing them to loose connection.
a small dab of super glue kept them together, no problems starting since

Robin
Old 06-11-2006, 01:51 PM
cantal10
Instructor

Something similar actually happend to my friends 86 944. He was driving and all of a sudden the car wouldn't shift or start, stuck in gear. Turned out his clutch was toast. They changed the clutch and everything was fine after that.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Originally Posted by cantal10
Something similar actually happend to my friends 86 944. He was driving and all of a sudden the car wouldn't shift or start, stuck in gear. Turned out his clutch was toast. They changed the clutch and everything was fine after that.
$$$$ If it is the clutch, sorry to hear it. I used to live right outside Haddonfield. Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:36 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

well my friend took a look at it and managed to get it to start. He said it just started right up, then after driving he drove it we came to the conclusion that when the mechanics had installed the new motor mount, that the engine in a slightly different position and that the linkage and clutch needed to be adjusted, and me tanking the pothole just put the icing on the cake. Then after we stopped and got out he tried to start it again and it didnt work, but thankfully we got it started 1 more time, just to get it 2 blocks to my house. So i will take it back to the shop sometime next week and will hopefully not have to pay to much, if any $$.
thx for the help
Old 06-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

That second pic looks like you were on I-295. Congrats on getting away on the cheap. Clutch jobs can get pricey.

Quick Reply: best worst day ever (pics)