Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why our cars are not made for drag racing...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manning
That a vette has a transaxle does not mean the 944's Audi transaxle is any more or less simple to rebuild. And using that as an example, do you know how much it would cost to replace the R&P in a vette transaxle for parts and labor. Do you have the special super long reach deep socket, dial gauge, assortment of shims, oven, etc to rebuild a 944 transaxle in your garage?

I do not have any clue on how much it would cost to rebuild either transaxle whether it be a vette or 951.

I can't believe that a brand new corvette has cheaper parts or repair costs than a 951? Obviously with a 951 the parts would be used or reconditioned.

I appreciate the answers thus far.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

-corvette doesnt have a tranny in the rear- not old ones- new ones do
-its MADE to HANDLE in a CORNER- but they can go straight but thats boring
-they dont have a HEMI
put enough money into anything and you can drag race it, but for that much money you could go real fast through a corner.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Used or reconditioned R&P or gears? Why bother. Quick look found cheapest new R&P at about $470.00 online just for parts. Other sources were more like $700.00 Now you need it installed, bearings, seals, shims, etc.

Vette trans parts aren't much if any cheaper.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
LtReid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i weighted my 83 944 (with a standard manual steering that i love) and came out to be 2700, even. And no i did not take anything out
Old 06-06-2006, 12:36 AM
flosho
Pro

Originally Posted by Manning
Used or reconditioned R&P or gears? Why bother. Quick look found cheapest new R&P at about $470.00 online just for parts. Other sources were more like $700.00 Now you need it installed, bearings, seals, shims, etc.

Vette trans parts aren't much if any cheaper.

Thats what I mean.. "R&P are expensive to fix" What I'm saying is that our cars are not ungodly expensive to fix when other cars that ARE drag raced use equally expensive parts...
Old 06-06-2006, 12:38 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

holy crap. according to my 85 glove box flippy book thinger, the weight says 2778 lbs. and also, i have not seen any of the newer insanely fast corvettes (read as 10s and below, deep into 7s) run anythign but the transaxle with maybe better axles. the c4s and older had u jointed rear axles. i have not seenpaid attention) underneathe a c5 and c6 yet to know if they still use u joints or c.v. joints. the gearing, generally for drag racign you want somethign over a 4.xx:1 ratio final drive (tire size also affects the final drive in the end).
my 944 has a 3.889:1 final and most upscale mustangs come stock with atleast 3.55:1 rear gear, but they have the torque to overcome that obstacle. usually after dynoing a car, you find where your torque numbers, and theres an equation to find which ideal gear is for you to get the most power.....then it comes down to sticky tires and driver reaction times.

rear gear has a big effect on the outcome as long as your tires can grab, and you can drive well enough to not spin tire and shift fast enough keeping the revs up.
i think on someones rebuild page, they mentioned powerhaus can treat the 944 gears for a fee to make them stronger.....im not sure what the 968 or s2 final is, but the n/a being so plentiful and more ideal size would be a good start.
does the trans case have anythign to do with it? with cobras, the irs(independent rear suspension) is a central aluminum carrier which takes a beating that can split and throw the gear through the rear aluminum cover...but for $150 you can put a thick steel brace on to handle 1000s of hp, but still have to upgrade cv shafts.
so maybe that is the next option that someone should look into..a trans "brace" made from laser cut thick steel to keep the aluminum carrier parts from flexing under a launch. maybe that is the end all argument to the exploding transaxle.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's up to you. The hypoid R&P are not renowned for their high strength and certainly are not meant to be launched. You may not flinch at the price of the R&P but call around tomorrow and gets some quotes for labor for replacement and report back to us.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Isn’t the drive train stressed the same while launching for autocross ? I have yet to dump the clutch on my turbo. Such an act is taboo.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Who launches hard for autox?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,199 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
CV joints are known to be weak points and are known to fail.
Be specific - 944 CV joints.

So far over 600hp on a 928 has yet to show any signs of CV joint wear. This is with drag radials installed.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would imagine. And think of how many threads have been on here over the years about people grenading their R&P during a hard launch at an autocross.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Trucho-951
Pro

Lack of "low end" torque would be the main reason for not making it into the "A" list. Drag racer's know that although you have to finish first to win the race (unless you "break out"), a drag race is really won at the starting line. That's why 60 foot times (i.e. less than 1.5 sec.) are so critical to drag racing. Also, consistency (repeatability) is very important. If you cannot control your 1/4 mile times to within +/- 0.01 sec., then your car will not be competitive.

A 944 Turbo does not have the low RPM torque required to get a competitive launch "out of the hole" nor the strength in the drive train (if it did) to keep up with a healthy V8. With the aid of Nitrous Oxide injection, one could make up for the turbo lag at launch, but then it would require a healthy (strong) torque tube, cv shafts, transmission mounts and engine mounts to withstand the torsional shock created by the increase in torque. In addition, it would require suspension modifications, stronger rear spring rates, revalving of front and rear shocks to allow for adequate weight transfer to allow the rear tires to "hook up". And finally, it would require a bigger turbo and injectors to catch up (and pass?) those cars already dialed in for drag racing.

So, out of the box? No, a 944 turbo is not competitive, but with enough $$ invested in it, yes one can turn in into quite a wild 1/4 mile ride. But then again, for a similar $$ investment it would be much easier to improve other cars like mustangs and corvettes.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
sbyrne
Racer

One of the contestants on a recent episode of "Pinks" had what looked like a 924, but I came in late and didn't get the detais. It did break, though. I've always thought that a 928 with the full-on drag treatment might be cool...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flosho
I told a guy that a 944 turbo was not geared for the 1/4 mile...

..."Frankly I think calling a certain gearing arrangement "geared for the drag strip" or "geared for the autobahn" is complete bull****. Whether or not one gear is a little too long or not doesn't matter in a race that reaches over 100 MPH, in fact, that's about as "for the autobahn" as it gets. Right?"

Any good arguments against this gentleman that I've quoted?
the fact that the turbo's final drive ratio is 3.375 making it a slug at launch and, of course, in 1/4 drag racing highest MPH doesn't determine the quickest car

many drivers would certainly prefer different gearing depending on the course they are racing that day

my guess is this gentleman doesn’t do much of any kind of racing
Old 06-06-2006, 01:05 AM
944CS
Drifting

944 Turbo's have a lower R&P ratio than normally aspirated 944s. This translates to less torque at the wheels in all gears vs. a car with the same power and a 3.889:1 R&P. Also, unless you are brake boosting at the line, when you rev the car up at the line the engine is not under load and is not generating boost.

Quick Reply: Why our cars are not made for drag racing...?