Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Wiring Harness Question

Okay so I think most of you know the story, 1988 turbo engine in an 1989 S2. The engine is in and I'm working on getting everything hooked up.

I passed the DME and KLR plugs through the firewall, along with three other plugs. My question is what are these three other plugs for? One is just a 2 pole female plug, another is a long slender male plug with about six wires, and the las is the type that looks like bakelite and is rectangular block that seems to have a jumper plugged into it. The S2 does not have anywhere to plug them in it only has one plug that won't attach to any of these. I didn't take this part of the turbo apart, a friend of mine did it and doesn't remember what was hooked up and what wasn't.

I forgot to take my camera with me so unfortunatly I don't have any pictures of what I'm talking about. Maybe tomarrow I can post some pics.

In testing things we determined that they are not related to the gauges since the temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges seem to be working correctly. The engine is also not ready to try to start so I'm not sure what all is not working.

Any ideas, should I leave them alone until I'm ready to start the car? I really don't want to change the dash harness. By the way I'm trying to just use the S2 dash cluster with an aftermarket boost gauge.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense but 944 series are my least favorite cars.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

You are completely entitled to post your opinion. Although I disagree, I think the 928 is my least favorite. I think I'd rather drive a Yugo.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm glad you have an opinion about his 944...though, it might be better suited in off topic. Maybe if kyle bondoed in some more aquatic features it might remind you of your 928 and you would like it better.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy men...He's just poking you with a sharp stick

When I get a little older I will probably go with the country cruiser 928 as well. In the mean time, I'll stick with the muscle!

D.H. ....what's up? I see nothing in your sig. that any average 951 wouldn't dispose of in short order. Can't we all just play nice

Edit: Personally, I love the 928...also have a soft spot for the 914 and 924 too!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:40 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike B
Easy men...He's just poking you with a sharp stick

When I get a little older I will probably go with the country cruiser 928 as well. In the mean time, I'll stick with the muscle!

D.H. ....what's up? I see nothing in your sig. that any average 951 wouldn't dispose of in short order. Can't we all just play nice

I see his point, why would you bother with a real sport car like the 951 if you can have a Porsche sedan Deville aka the 928. The 928 is luxurious, smooth, it has an automatic tranny which is very convenient if you have arthritis, overall it’s a great car for people over 55. I also plan to acquire one for my retirement days.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Long 4 wire (or 6 wire) connector - Tach signal, boost gauge signal (two wires), oil level sender signal. You will have to find another connector like the one on the inside of the car (14 pin - I think) and make it to match. You will need the schematics to figure out which pins are which. Also you'll have to swap the switched power pin on the body side harness under the hood (firewall connection by the brake booster) in order for it to power the DME - pin 6 to 12 I think - check the schematic - going by memory now.

I even swapped out a turbo tach with the boost gauge into the S2 cluster, works perfectly, no re-wiring needed.

2 pin female - plug that into the altitude compensator (from the turbo car - little flat round canister that bolts up at the very back of the glovebox area under the dash). The third connector is for diagnostics - doesn't plug into anything.

I just finished the same swap. Except that the aftermarket pistons are scuffing the hell out of the cylinders of the new engine - gonna pull it and put another one in this spring.

Good luck!

Dal.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
No offense but 944 series are my least favorite cars.
Now that sir, is funny!

Although I think that anyone who needs a turbo to make their 944 go fast is making up for some kind of "shortcoming." But I'm just stating opinion.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Hey Dal, thanks for the information. Although it's a little too late. I posted the thread in May 2006 and have since successfully completed the swap, the car has about 6000 miles on the new engine. And has been running great. Sorry to hear that you have to pull yours, I was wondering if you could swap the gauges in the cluster, I think I might do that this winter.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:02 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, you'll have to jumper the ignition module on the driver's fender well near the headlight. The S2 has it, the 951 does not. Going from memory, you need to jump the green wire on that connector. It's the trigger signal for the coil.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:03 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh wow, guess I should have read further, lol. Congrats!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Next time I might try to find a S2 cab to convert to a turbo, even if it is not a true turbo cab it's still cool. Compliments to Rock.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah it was a fun project- nothing like hitting boost and having nothing over head! Love your car it turned out great. We left the stock cluster in rocks car and put an aftermarket gauge in an unusual spot...worked out well but harder to see i think....
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Hey Dan, Rock owes you big time for helping him do that swap. How's the turbo, did you get a clutch in it yet? Unfortunatly I've pretty much put mine away till spring. Maybe a nice day here and there through the winter. I have an aftermarket boost gauge but, what I really want is the 180mph speedometer from my turbo cluster. Think I'll swap them out this winter.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, it was a stick poke I used as an attempt to prove a point. Trying to show how a bitter post can immediately sidetrack a thread and render it useless to the original poster who is seeking advice. Seemed to work as expected.

Oddly, in theory, there is quite a difference between a 944 and a 928. But in reality, they are both cars that are cheap to purchase, expensive to bring up to snuff, and still worth 1/2 the investment when you go to sell them. I've owned two 924s(pre 83), six 944s and nearly twice as many 928s. An 85 928 5spd is quite formidable and surprising nimble when brought down to 2900lbs, especially when coupled with an sc.

For the record, I don't really hate 944s. They do hold a special place in my life...but as they say, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things."

Quick Reply: Engine Wiring Harness Question