Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my car !!! Pictures on page 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 AM
AZS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by incessant
Well.. I was going to take it to an independent shop..in hopes of a lower estimate. I think the dealership estimate would be quite high, in which case they would surely total the car.

Those shops basically all use the same software for doing estimates. That includes your ins. co. too. I had an accident in a BMW, I took it to at least 3 shops and the ins co. adjuster. They were all within about $500 of each other on a $6000 estimate. But you might have a different experience.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:34 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if I deal with a one man show, I can probably get him to under quote and cover the difference myself to avoid the salvlage title ..no?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 PM
AZS2
Racer

well, if I deal with a one man show, I can probably get him to under quote and cover the difference myself to avoid the salvlage title ..no?
Possibly....

He may not want to hang his *** out there like that. What you should probably do is find a shop that will work with you on the used parts. You will probably have to just come to some settlement with the ins. co. and yeah, fight for no salvage title. Take the money to the guy you found that would use second hand parts and pay him outright to fix it with your settlement.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 AM
incessant
Racer

Well... I guess I will know more after I have it estimated by a shop. I kills me to see her hurt like this.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree this sounds fair..

So he should not be factoring in salvage value in his determination of totaling??
No. The salvage is exactly that, what they make off the total. The only two things the adjuster should be looking at is repair cost VS actual cash value. Since your prior estimate was 71%, there should be no debate with them, it is repairable. Tell them to send you the check.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

In my state the threshhold is set at 75% of book value. Here, if you buy back a car with a salvage title you will go through hell to get a rebuilt title. What we often recommend for our customers is to settle for one percent less than the threshhold (74% for us here) and you keep the car with a clean title. Insurance companies will total a car that is close to the threshhold...you have to account for hidden damage (supplemental charges). If you push to have a car repaired that is close they will just have a shop disassemble it and write a very thorough estimate to push it over. How you interact with the adjuster and the shop also figures into the outcome. From the shop perspective saving a car that is close to totalling is usually a nightmare and more trouble than its worth.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
incessant
Racer

Originally Posted by Perry 951
No. The salvage is exactly that, what they make off the total. The only two things the adjuster should be looking at is repair cost VS actual cash value. Since your prior estimate was 71%, there should be no debate with them, it is repairable. Tell them to send you the check.
Yeah.. that seams like the right call.

My plan of attack is to get the car looked at thoroughly by my guy.. to make sure we aren't missing more major damage that would certainly total it.. and find out if we can fix vs/ repair some parts.

Next.. if the repair estimate from the shop is on target with progressive or less.. I will try to get the check from insurance.. Hopefully he can fix some stuff instead of repair.

If they buck on that, I will go for the deal with my adjuster to set the estimate lower.. if that dosen't work..
my recourse would be to tell him about the after market valance available, which would bring down his quote enough to say its worth fixing. (hopefully).

If that dosen't work.. I break his knee caps .

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all of your input and support.. as you can imagine, it has been a very tough week
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
incessant
Racer

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
In my state the threshhold is set at 75% of book value. Here, if you buy back a car with a salvage title you will go through hell to get a rebuilt title. What we often recommend for our customers is to settle for one percent less than the threshhold (74% for us here) and you keep the car with a clean title. Insurance companies will total a car that is close to the threshhold...you have to account for hidden damage (supplemental charges). If you push to have a car repaired that is close they will just have a shop disassemble it and write a very thorough estimate to push it over. How you interact with the adjuster and the shop also figures into the outcome. From the shop perspective saving a car that is close to totalling is usually a nightmare and more trouble than its worth.
This is my understanding with the title issue.. I need to avoid salvage at all costs.

I hope the insurance company will settle for less?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there any updates?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Wondering if you got the $4500, like you should have. Post up!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
incessant
Racer

Sorry.. been busy.. I haven't had the car looked at yet.. (hell at work lately). I have called the garage, and am having it towed tomorrow.

The insurance guy called for a status update.. I mentioned talking to others who worked for progressive, who said that they don't consider salvage value when totalling.. He said that the person I spoke to either wasn't an appraiser, or worked in a different state.. but in Maine they do factor salvage.

My recourse if the estimate is that high from the shop, is to mention the aftermarket part.. that would bring the estimate down to the Fix it level.

Will an update soon..

Thanks again for all of your help and concern!

I have been having nightmares for two weeks..
I used to have nightmares of crashing it too
Old 05-23-2006, 03:43 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't let them take it to the junker! That car still has life left.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I take it the SRS deployed. They will claim a total loss if the bags go-off. My 951 spun twice on a soaking-wet freeway on Easter morning. I hate Easter now...

Zach
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
incessant
Racer

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I take it the SRS deployed. They will claim a total loss if the bags go-off. My 951 spun twice on a soaking-wet freeway on Easter morning. I hate Easter now...

Zach
My car is without airbags.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 PM
incessant
Racer

Ok . Update..

I got the car towed over to the shop, and let the guy know what the insurance estimate was, and that I want to keep the car for sure.
I will let you all know as soon as I hear the shops estimate. (should be next week) .

Fingers crossed people!
Thanks
-Rhad

Quick Reply: Crashed my car !!! Pictures on page 2