Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble removing stone guard

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble removing stone guard

Im trying to remove the musty, yellowed, and heavily cracked stoneguards from my 951.. they are too cracked to peel and im currently trying to use a heat gun to get it off, could some one tell me a good technique for removing these using a heat gun?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just heated them up and they came off(In pieces) I also used a rubber scaper as to not damage teh paint. Just take your time and they will come off, and make sure you have som adhesive remover to get all teh glue off after.

Brandon
Old 04-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Im afraid to leave the heat on there too long... how easy is it to ruin paint that way? how long should i heat them up?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I had the heat gun on High and just keep it on till I saw the film start to wrinlke or melt. don't get to close either. I didn't keep it on for too long. Its better to be caustous then to make a mistake

brandon
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Eek... well i thought thats what i did, but it sems like only the top layer is coming off
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

actually its kinda difficult, that stone guard would litterlally melt before you started doing damage to the paint. Just take it slow, use as much heat just to get it off. don't forget things smell when they are being burnt, so keep your nose clear.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

ok so it left a ton of residue and i still see cracks but i refuse to believe that those are in the paint because my paint is in excellent shape... is it safe to use brake cleaner to get the residue off?

- Ryan
Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM
packrat
Advanced

Goof Off works pretty good to remove the glue.

Heat the glue back up a little, wipe some Goof Off on, let it sit until it starts to dry, and then scrape the heavy areas off with a plastic scraper. Repeat .

I would think the cracks you see are just lines in the glue where the cracks were. I am not sure if i would chance using brake cleaner.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 PM
GOSANE
Banned

I would try a rubber eraser wheel if it were me. While I've never taken off a stone guard I have taken off many pinstripes, vinyl decals, emblem adhesive and factory double sided tape used to put on side moulding and various trim pieces. I've never burned the paint (but it can be done), Excess residue is easily removed with lacquer thinner. Just my $0.02. ;^)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Do not use brake cleaner! 3M makes a good adhesive remover. You can buy it any auto paint supply.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, I will begin again tomarrow
Old 04-25-2006, 12:01 AM
GOSANE
Banned

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Do not use brake cleaner! 3M makes a good adhesive remover. You can buy it any auto paint supply.
Yep the 3M stuff would be a good idea.:*)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GOSANE
I would try a rubber eraser wheel if it were me. While I've never taken off a stone guard I have taken off many pinstripes, vinyl decals, emblem adhesive and factory double sided tape used to put on side moulding and various trim pieces. I've never burned the paint (but it can be done), Excess residue is easily removed with lacquer thinner. Just my $0.02. ;^)
agreed, thats what i finally turned to after melting, and scraping, and 3m's adhesive remover was taking too long
Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by packrat
Goof Off works pretty good to remove the glue.

Heat the glue back up a little, wipe some Goof Off on, let it sit until it starts to dry, and then scrape the heavy areas off with a plastic scraper. Repeat .

I would think the cracks you see are just lines in the glue where the cracks were. I am not sure if i would chance using brake cleaner.

I'd caution using any chemicals on a non-clearcoat paint job. My acryllic red paint would scream in agony if I started dumping Goof Off, mineral spirits, or even glass cleaner on it.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GOSANE
I would try a rubber eraser wheel if it were me. While I've never taken off a stone guard I have taken off many pinstripes, vinyl decals, emblem adhesive and factory double sided tape used to put on side moulding and various trim pieces. I've never burned the paint (but it can be done), Excess residue is easily removed with lacquer thinner. Just my $0.02.
Originally Posted by wizkid918
agreed, thats what i finally turned to after melting, and scraping, and 3m's adhesive remover was taking too long
I'm about to do this myself and was wondering about the procedure, does one first use the heat gun to remove the top film then the rubber earaser wheel to remove the heavy residue and finally some type of adhesive remover for what's left?

Would this one work? <<LINK>>

I have seen other ones for 3 times the price. More HD types I guess that fit on a grinder/polisher (which I don't own) but would that one work for doing just one car?

I recently removed the rear "PORSCHE" lettering on my car using a good heat gun and solvent. It was a real PITA to do so as all the letters are individual. Worked good but it was a lot of work and I know those stone guards have a lot more adhesive on them.

TIA

Quick Reply: Trouble removing stone guard