Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas War

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, thats a horrible plan.

Plan that works:

--> Nuke Iran
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WMD? We gave it to them during the 8 year war so why be surprised to know he has VX gas? We made the stuff along with anthrax and a whole lot of other WMD. Last time I checked, we didn't invade Germany for just possessing WMD. Remember Saddam was our ally against Iran when the U. S. installed Shaw of Iran was ousted by Ayallatola Khomeini instantly turning Iran into our enemy especially when they took hostages from our embassy during the Carter administration. Do a little research in history if you are too young to remember any of this stuff. If WMD and tyranny is why we went in, why do we not invade N. Korea for threatening us with nuclear weapons or Russia for killing Chechens? They both have weapons, both committing mass murder, both have WMD, and one is openly challenging us. Why do we act on Iraq? I guess because Saddam is the only one weak enough for us to beat because he has 50 year old modified WWII tanks so we leave the bigger tyrants in place with nuclear WMDs. Bin Laden was trained and funded by the U. S. when he fought USSR when they invaded Afghanistan as a mujahadin. USSR was considered the brutal aggressor back then (watch one of the Rambo movies if you need your memories refreshed) and how funny just a couple decades later, the roles are reversed and now we invaded Afghanistan. How ironic our own trained "freedom fighter" is now the world renowned "terrorist".

Look, oil is an issue of national security and the Bush administration is trying to secure sources and satisfying "his people" while he is at it. The people who run this government is pretty smart in self preservation but you are right, its not Bush. He is not smart enough to think of all this all by himself. Why dig our own oil when we can deplete everyone else first? Its pretty selfish but screw everyone else's environment and resources, just not our own. We are a culture of self righteous self serving arrogant ignorants in the eyes of the world and our actions show it. Just travel around and ask people what they think. We deserve to get a wake up call by having oil companies exercise their monopoly powers just to show us how little we are. I hate to admit it but we are being put in our places and they will continue to rape us with higher gas prices until we find a way to consume less.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:36 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Nuke Iran, yeah thats a smart one!!!!!!! We would have the entire middle east after us (not like already don't have trouble with that).
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
heybiff
Instructor

Default I know this isn't a popular opinion, but...

...It's not the Middle East's fault the west is strung out on oil. Afterall, we DID go looking for it there back when they ignored it as a messy nuisance.

You can't fault the drug dealer for selling you drugs, even if the drug dealer doesn't like you, professes to destroy you every time you visit him to pick up your "prescription", and occasionally comes to kill people you love and destroy your property. We do keep using his product don't we?

Until car companies start making alternative fuel vehicles (not hybrids, they're smoke & mirrors ) that perform in the manner the regular Joe is used to, and do it at regular prices, with cars that don't look like spaceships, or at the least something that will get you beaten up at the local pub, NO ONE will take them seriously.

Also, until our "government" decides that oil is not the focus of our exhistance, and begins funding research or at the least offering (real) tax incentives across the board for other solutions, everything else is meaningless.

Car companies will build WHATEVER sells best, period. If electric cars that only have a 200Ml range became the rage, the roads would be clogged with them. Problem is no one is asking for them. We're all waiting for the mythical "good" car they keep telling us is coming. And we keep waiting patiently, while driving our Yukons and Magnums. Remember the 50mpg car from the 70's we were supposed to be driving in the 90's?

I am patiently waiting for gas to hit $6. Them the economic Darwinism will kcik in. All those who shouldn't be driving in the first place will stop, roads will be less congested, and I can enjoy my 951 in peace. Hopefully it will be running again by then.

Also, back to the original post, in my major metropolitan city, we have ONE gas distributor: Sunoco. EVERYONE in the Philly area buys gas fro Sunoco, period. Sunoco stations pay less for their tanker loads, everyone else pays more, as per Sunoco's pricing schedule. It is a KNOWN fact that geographic areas in the city pay more as per Sunoco's will. Gas station owners just pass on the higher price they are charged. We even had a 2 page feature on gas pricing in our paper last summer. Nothing changed.

The game is more fixed than most of us regular Joes can know. They've had a long time to get us to where we are today.

Heybiff

--The above is just my opinion, but you DID read it, so I can't be held responsible for your mood right now.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:59 AM
mnypit944
Instructor

Bigfoot and Aliens make about as much sense as Mr Moore. He is a radical left wing nut. Like I said about the WMD. The police give you nearly 7 years to get rid of your drugs. Put them in other places, flush them, whatever. What I am saying is that there is no doubt they were there. We just gave him so much time to discard of them and hide them in other countries that we will never find them.

I am not saying to use up our resources, only to have an alternative when this crap happens. When these foreign entities raise prices we simply draw on our own resources keeping prices down and effectivly doing what we were talking about origionally. BOYCOTT. Only not on an individual level. The US as a whole can step up and say, ok you want to double the oil prices, we dont need yours anymore. Then when they realize that without the US they have no business, they might rethink these huge profits and consider a little less profit to stay in business.

I dont think this is the place to exibit political views so I am not going to respond anymore. There are plenty of forums out there for that. The fact is that we have the resources right here to put a pretty good dent in the world market and that is all I was saying to begin with.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:07 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Also, until our "government" decides that oil is not the focus of our exhistance, and begins funding research or at the least offering (real) tax incentives across the board for other solutions, everything else is meaningless.
You mean like the way people with V10 Excursions actually got bigger tax breaks than people with Hybrids? lol.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:39 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to focus on making all new cars compatible with E85 (ethonol 85) wich is only 15% gasoline. It burns cleaner, higher octane and is a by-product of corn. This is the only alternative that can be mandated in the near future. Forget fuel cells or hydrogen, it's too expensive for the automakers to invest the R&D dollars. Look at Brazil, they don't rely on foreign oil at all because about 8 years ago they decided to use E85 and it has worked big time. The problem is, is that we have a President WHO IS IN THE OIL BUSINESS. Plain and simple. 2008 can't get here fast enough.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Agreed.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:39 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default Do you really think...

...the next set of stuffed shirts in 2008 will be any better?

E85 is nice, but will you be able to run your '67 Chevy Something-or-other on it? Will you need to modify you '92 grocery-getter to run on it? Someone will sink that ship before it sails with fears of incompatibility and decreased performance, and maybe even toxicity or harm to the environment!

Funny enough, I wonder why Biodiesel hasn't caught on. Diesel powerplants for all intents and purposes perform comparably, and in many cases outperform gas engines, and we have enough capacity to grow all the Biodiesel we need. Why not do what Europe has been doing, and go Diesel with Biodiesel? Then I guess we can leave gasoline to the clunkers and classic cars at whatever crazy prices the market dictates.

The reason I say this is that I read an article last year ( don't ask me to find it, I'm not a librarian ) that stated that while E85 was great, we don't have enough farm capacity to produce even half of the necessary supply at current consumption levels and still feed ourselves. OTOH, we waste enough soybean that we could produce soy based fuel blends without drastically changing the agricultural system.

Anyone knows more wish to share?

Heybiff
Old 04-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

WE SUBSIDIZE FARMERS TO GROW FOOD WE DON'T USE AND WASTE. Instead of your tax dollars paying for food to rot, make it into fuel. You may want to google under federal government farm subsidy. BTW, can you run your 67 chevelle on biodiesel?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default I've got a '67 Chevelle? Hot Damn!

Where do I go to pick it up?

Seriously, If I had one, I'd pay $9/Gal for gas if I had to. I'd drive it no matter what, and I'd like it.

But to drive to work, I'd run the 2010 Econo-Turbo-diesel that get 50MPG and smells like fries and love.

Heybiff
Old 04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by cjacob813
We need to focus on making all new cars compatible with E85 (ethonol 85) wich is only 15% gasoline. It burns cleaner, higher octane and is a by-product of corn. This is the only alternative that can be mandated in the near future. Forget fuel cells or hydrogen, it's too expensive for the automakers to invest the R&D dollars. Look at Brazil, they don't rely on foreign oil at all because about 8 years ago they decided to use E85 and it has worked big time. The problem is, is that we have a President WHO IS IN THE OIL BUSINESS. Plain and simple. 2008 can't get here fast enough.

It's more expensive to make ethanol from corn than to just use gas. Brazilians do it from sugar cane.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:00 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by heybiff
Where do I go to pick it up?

Seriously, If I had one, I'd pay $9/Gal for gas if I had to. I'd drive it no matter what, and I'd like it.

But to drive to work, I'd run the 2010 Econo-Turbo-diesel that get 50MPG and smells like fries and love.

Heybiff

I'm all for the veg oil cars.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
944J
Banned

We don't do this because as the other post said, "5 out of the 10 most profitable companies in the world are oil companies" its about money...

those 5 companies are not about to give up their money... what they will do is transition into other things that allow them to keep their position as the most rich kings of the world.

Originally Posted by heybiff
...the next set of stuffed shirts in 2008 will be any better?

E85 is nice, but will you be able to run your '67 Chevy Something-or-other on it? Will you need to modify you '92 grocery-getter to run on it? Someone will sink that ship before it sails with fears of incompatibility and decreased performance, and maybe even toxicity or harm to the environment!

Funny enough, I wonder why Biodiesel hasn't caught on. Diesel powerplants for all intents and purposes perform comparably, and in many cases outperform gas engines, and we have enough capacity to grow all the Biodiesel we need. Why not do what Europe has been doing, and go Diesel with Biodiesel? Then I guess we can leave gasoline to the clunkers and classic cars at whatever crazy prices the market dictates.

The reason I say this is that I read an article last year ( don't ask me to find it, I'm not a librarian ) that stated that while E85 was great, we don't have enough farm capacity to produce even half of the necessary supply at current consumption levels and still feed ourselves. OTOH, we waste enough soybean that we could produce soy based fuel blends without drastically changing the agricultural system.

Anyone knows more wish to share?

Heybiff
Old 04-23-2006, 05:07 PM
944J
Banned

I'm agreeing with you.

1) we didnt invade them for WPMD since they flushed them long before the wr started or they were never there in the firs place

2) we didnt do it for oel because 10% isnt enought to justify a 5 billion dollar per year expenditure

3) yes I know how we set up allies then invade them later, this to me just sounds like setting up excuses for a war so that the american companies can get tax payer money to go rebuild the places they build up

look at what we got from the war:

1) not that much oil?
2) billions and billions of dollars (paid by tax payers labor) to friends of friends' companies to go rebuild the place we bombed to peices

Originally Posted by Legoland951
WMD? We gave it to them during the 8 year war so why be surprised to know he has VX gas? We made the stuff along with anthrax and a whole lot of other WMD. Last time I checked, we didn't invade Germany for just possessing WMD. Remember Saddam was our ally against Iran when the U. S. installed Shaw of Iran was ousted by Ayallatola Khomeini instantly turning Iran into our enemy especially when they took hostages from our embassy during the Carter administration. Do a little research in history if you are too young to remember any of this stuff. If WMD and tyranny is why we went in, why do we not invade N. Korea for threatening us with nuclear weapons or Russia for killing Chechens? They both have weapons, both committing mass murder, both have WMD, and one is openly challenging us. Why do we act on Iraq? I guess because Saddam is the only one weak enough for us to beat because he has 50 year old modified WWII tanks so we leave the bigger tyrants in place with nuclear WMDs. Bin Laden was trained and funded by the U. S. when he fought USSR when they invaded Afghanistan as a mujahadin. USSR was considered the brutal aggressor back then (watch one of the Rambo movies if you need your memories refreshed) and how funny just a couple decades later, the roles are reversed and now we invaded Afghanistan. How ironic our own trained "freedom fighter" is now the world renowned "terrorist".

Look, oil is an issue of national security and the Bush administration is trying to secure sources and satisfying "his people" while he is at it. The people who run this government is pretty smart in self preservation but you are right, its not Bush. He is not smart enough to think of all this all by himself. Why dig our own oil when we can deplete everyone else first? Its pretty selfish but screw everyone else's environment and resources, just not our own. We are a culture of self righteous self serving arrogant ignorants in the eyes of the world and our actions show it. Just travel around and ask people what they think. We deserve to get a wake up call by having oil companies exercise their monopoly powers just to show us how little we are. I hate to admit it but we are being put in our places and they will continue to rape us with higher gas prices until we find a way to consume less.

Quick Reply: Gas War