Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas War

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 - we have a vast possibilty in ANWAR but the greenies wont allow drilling
#2 - research inelastic demand

No boycott, or anything else is going to drive prices down.
BTW - 18 gallon tank, price goes up 50 cents a gallon = $9.00 per fill up, I fill up every 4 days = $90.00/mo...so you dont eat out twice. Still have to go to work.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the whole idea is NOT to take it in the pants and be passive about this. Sure i could buy a little honda, but thats not FIXING anything. Especially since i don't WANT to drive a honda. I am a car person and drive what i want to drive. Granted if i commuted far i would get something cheap to commute in, but that is logical regardless of gas prices. Why commute a far distance on a nice car? The 944 gets really good gas milage, but rather your putting in $50 to fill up a week or a month its still DOUBLE what you WERE paying, so rather than just shrugging and downsizing, we should be looking for solutions
Old 04-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Why, because you were spoiled by artificially low prices?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:02 PM
944J
Banned

Do you really still think that?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...change&pl=true
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=911&pl=true

Originally Posted by Legoland951
We did that, well actually we took over a country and have their oil supply paying for it with lives. Why is the gas price still going up? Maybe we should ask why Bush is holding hands with the prince of Saudi when most of the 9/11 perpetrators are from that country.

Last edited by 944J; 04-23-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 PM
agent944
Instructor

Theres an interesting article in the May issue of Road and Track about the oil situation. Just interesting to note that only 8.4% of our crude oil comes from Saudi Arabia. The rest is coming from places all over the world, with Canada and Mexico being the top 2 US suppliers of oil. Kinda makes you go hmmmm.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Argentina follows behind that. All of the middle east only supplies about 12% if memory serves.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
944J
Banned

I in the most recent Michael Moore film I think he says that the Saudi's have a large percent ownership of our country through loans and such, but this isn't oil, just money.

Did anyone else see that movie?

Regarding where the oil comes from it seems there is something weird going on since the public perception is that it comes from the middle east. If it doesn't come from the middle east then why would we go to war there for just 10-12% of the oil?

Originally Posted by agent944
Theres an interesting article in the May issue of Road and Track about the oil situation. Just interesting to note that only 8.4% of our crude oil comes from Saudi Arabia. The rest is coming from places all over the world, with Canada and Mexico being the top 2 US suppliers of oil. Kinda makes you go hmmmm.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

944J, its a FACT admitted by the Bush administration most of the 9/11 perps are from Saudi. Yes I believe that. I believe we have 10 times the reason to invade them than Iraq if 9/11 means anything. Bin Laden is from there. Human rights and tyranny? It is still illegal for women to drive in Saudi and they have public beheadings all the time. Hell, its a MONARCHY where the KING's rule is law. How's a Saddam dictator worse? I also believe what I see and what I think makes sense. I know somebody is making ALOT of money and we all know money and power go hand in hand. Lets face it, nobody here is "in the power" and they are the screwer and we are the screwee.

I think we as a people in general have this silly sense of entitlement and are spoiled. "I want to do whatever I want to do whenever I want and drive whatever I want to drive" so if I run out of gas or the price is too high, I shouldn't be thinking about my hyperconsumption (refering to the urban SUV commute driver in traffic with no passengers getting 8 miles a gallon). Instead, I should destroy the environment some more so we will just speed up the inevitable ending of exhausting the oil supply and being controlled by foreign countries let alone destroying things we take for granted that the next generation will never see. We should look for alternatives. I like status quo but hey, enough is enough.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:45 AM
944J
Banned

I agree with you totally that there are some big bad things going on in the middle est, but my point is that with less than 12% of our oil comming from there and some obvious lies about the NY accident, there is something else going on. You don't go to wr over women not having driviers licenses in totally separate country (we went to war with irak not sa).

Did you watch any of the movie links I pasted "loose change" is a good one. They say that 9 of the hjjackers are still alive working at jobs ranging from airline pilot to computer programmer.(this info is around 40 min into the movie)

Also there were thousands of short sales on american arlines stck the days before the incident (meaning thousands of people new ahead of time what was to take place) and the investigations into these stock trading crimes have been delayed for years and are still delayed.

We didn't attcak sadi arbia, they are still our alies, we went to wra with a country that had no involvment or connection with the NY incident.

loose change Movie link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...change&pl=true

plane sight movie link:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=911&pl=true

Originally Posted by Legoland951
944J, its a FACT admitted by the Bush administration most of the 9/11 perps are from Saudi. Yes I believe that. I believe we have 10 times the reason to invade them than Iraq if 9/11 means anything. Bin Laden is from there. Human rights and tyranny? It is still illegal for women to drive in Saudi and they have public beheadings all the time. Hell, its a MONARCHY where the KING's rule is law. How's a Saddam dictator worse? I also believe what I see and what I think makes sense. I know somebody is making ALOT of money and we all know money and power go hand in hand. Lets face it, nobody here is "in the power" and they are the screwer and we are the screwee.

I think we as a people in general have this silly sense of entitlement and are spoiled. "I want to do whatever I want to do whenever I want and drive whatever I want to drive" so if I run out of gas or the price is too high, I shouldn't be thinking about my hyperconsumption (refering to the urban SUV commute driver in traffic with no passengers getting 8 miles a gallon). Instead, I should destroy the environment some more so we will just speed up the inevitable ending of exhausting the oil supply and being controlled by foreign countries let alone destroying things we take for granted that the next generation will never see. We should look for alternatives. I like status quo but hey, enough is enough.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:27 AM
mnypit944
Instructor

It doesnt matter where the oil comes from, at the present time. I dont recall, though I may have missed it, anyone saying it all came from the Middle East. The fact is that It is still being regulated by the same people. If We drill our own and there is no need to be regulated by some foreign entity. Take care of our own for once. Why does a self sustaining country that contributes to half the worlds economy need the approval to drill some oil? Or to distribute the stockpiles that are hidden away, as they see fit. When there is some entity dictating the barrel prices, but the oil companies are showing record profits, there is something wrong.

We are all debating Iraq, but the reason for invasion was not oil, or 9-11. The question was Did Saddam have WMDs. Well ask yourself this. If the cops are knocking at your door, and you have a pound of cocain, are you going to let them find it or flush it in the toilet?? I think I would flush it. Seems like common sense to me. Should we still be there in Iraq?? Well look at post WW2 Germany. How long were we there. How much terrorism was there? Nobody likes to think about that. Should we get compensated for our lost lives and money lost?? Hell Yes. The politicians are too busy trying to be politically correct to do anything like that.

I am all about conserving the supply we have. HOWEVER when a person has to decide between feeding their family and putting gas into their car to go to work, something has to give. Gas prices have more than doubled in a little over a year. That is unreasonable. Inflation is one thing, but this is nuts. I am lucky enough to have a company car. My Porsche sits in the garage. The wife's BMW luckily gets 28mpg. Still not good when she commutes 100 miles a day to and from work.

By the way, everything is not all Bush's fault. Contrary to popular belief, one man is not that powerful. He cannot change weather patterns, cannot prevent mudslides and hurricanes. He alone cannot elimate terrorism. It takes a lot of people, no matter what their beliefs or political agenda may be, to aid in the aftermath and help to try to minimize the next catastrophe. I think Americans have lost sight of this. Trying to hate one politician or another and trying to place blame. If more effort was put on fixing the problems and less on placing blame the world would be a much better place. I thought for a breif time that 9-11 had set us straight again, but I was sadly mistaken. Just one more reason to place blame.

Last edited by mnypit944; 04-23-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:40 AM
mnypit944
Instructor

Just got to watch some of your wacko conspiracy theory videos. Yet another blame placer. Do you beleive in alien abductions too? How about Big Foot? This government has done some shady things, but get real. You have been listening to too much of that left wing garbage. You need to come back to center and face the facts. We are all to blame, if for nothing else, but for playing the blame game. It is not all one man's fault. I wonder if he likes cigars?

Last edited by mnypit944; 04-23-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

A couple interesting tidbits:

Cheapest price for gas worldwide is I believe Venezuela.

The number one source for foreign income coming into Mexico is nolonger oil. It used to be. Now, it is instead Mexican Nationals sending money from the US home to Mexico. That's money that's not being spent here. If it were, it would be bolstering the US economy.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 AM
944J
Banned

What do aliens, bigfoot have to do with the topic, please stay on topic.

I just think those videos make some good points that are not answered. I'm not saying I believe them, but I have an open mind enough to consider BOTH SIDES. Not just shut down and have tunnel vision.

Additionally, I'm not blaming anyone. I just thought it was interesting because I thought we got a lot of oil from the Middle Est. Nothing was found in irak, and we are still spending billions of dollars there each year not to mention the killing of our soldiers and innocent bystanders, for what? 10% of our oel? It doesnt make sense to me and Im looking for what is really going on.

Originally Posted by mnypit944
Just got to watch some of your wacko conspiracy theory videos. Yet another blame placer. Do you beleive in alien abductions too? How about Big Foot? This government has done some shady things, but get real. You have been listening to too much of that left wing garbage. You need to come back to center and face the facts. We are all to blame, if for nothing else, but for playing the blame game. It is not all one man's fault. I wonder if he likes cigars?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:38 AM
944J
Banned

so why are we still there?

it doesnt seem like a smart financial decision to spend over 5 billion a year just because there are bad things going on in a country like women cant drive, and he kills people all the time for no reason. its not for 10% of the black gold. the wpmd are gone or were never there so why all the rest?

Originally Posted by mnypit944
It doesnt matter where the oil comes from, at the present time. I dont recall, though I may have missed it, anyone saying it all came from the Middle East. The fact is that It is still being regulated by the same people. If We drill our own and there is no need to be regulated by some foreign entity. Take care of our own for once. Why does a self sustaining country that contributes to half the worlds economy need the approval to drill some oil? Or to distribute the stockpiles that are hidden away, as they see fit. When there is some entity dictating the barrel prices, but the oil companies are showing record profits, there is something wrong.

We are all debating Iraq, but the reason for invasion was not oil, or 9-11. The question was Did Saddam have WMDs. Well ask yourself this. If the cops are knocking at your door, and you have a pound of cocain, are you going to let them find it or flush it in the toilet?? I think I would flush it. Seems like common sense to me. Should we still be there in Iraq?? Well look at post WW2 Germany. How long were we there. How much terrorism was there? Nobody likes to think about that. Should we get compensated for our lost lives and money lost?? Hell Yes. The politicians are too busy trying to be politically correct to do anything like that.

I am all about conserving the supply we have. HOWEVER when a person has to decide between feeding their family and putting gas into their car to go to work, something has to give. Gas prices have more than doubled in a little over a year. That is unreasonable. Inflation is one thing, but this is nuts. I am lucky enough to have a company car. My Porsche sits in the garage. The wife's BMW luckily gets 28mpg. Still not good when she commutes 100 miles a day to and from work.

By the way, everything is not all Bush's fault. Contrary to popular belief, one man is not that powerful. He cannot change weather patterns, cannot prevent mudslides and hurricanes. He alone cannot elimate terrorism. It takes a lot of people, no matter what their beliefs or political agenda may be, to aid in the aftermath and help to try to minimize the next catastrophe. I think Americans have lost sight of this. Trying to hate one politician or another and trying to place blame. If more effort was put on fixing the problems and less on placing blame the world would be a much better place. I thought for a breif time that 9-11 had set us straight again, but I was sadly mistaken. Just one more reason to place blame.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Saw an interesting article in Forbes magazine the other day.

They listed the top 50 corporations world-wide in order of highest profits. Out of the 50 highest profitting corporations, 5 out of the top 10 highest profit companies were oil companies.

Exxon/Mobil is the world's largest corporation in sales, profits and stock market value. I think the others in the top 10 were BL, Chevron, and I can't recall the rest.

It was pretty effing disgusting that I am paying $3.27/gal right now and the gov't makes it sound like there's a shortage, while oil companies are making more profits than any other corporations on the planet.

Quick Reply: Gas War