Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autozone tools.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Autozone tools.

I noticed while dropping off some oil nad having my Alternator tested that the tools at Autozone now have a Lifetime warranty. Break, return it. Period. Like Craftsman and, I think Husky.

I noticed this because I broke 3/8 drive today and wanted a replacement until I can get to the Home Depot. I picked a 3/8 drive for $9 and a 24" breaker bar (for the crank bolt) for $16.

Anyway, just a heads up if you need something quick and cheap and live near an Autozone...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tools are a deal at Autozone. Fuel hose is highway robbery. They charged me $0.40/inch vs 0.11/inch at Kragen.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

are u talkin about all tools they sell? is it a store warranty or a manufacturer warranty?

cuz they sell like, 2 kinds of tools, which are Great Neck and Duralast.

i have a mish-mash of both kinds.

i always feel like i'm going to break that greatneck ratchet.....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:42 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

It's a great deal, if you truly enjoy:
A) that unusual squishy-snappy feeling of cheap metal giving way and failing miserably instead of turning the damn bolt, and
B) spending more time driving back and forth to Autozone and talking to the Autozonedout-employees than completing work on your car.

Now, maybe I'm wrong and they've upgraded their suppliers since I last bought a tool from them that died way too easily, a Great Neck brand 3/8 drive flex-head ratchet which was absolute junk, in which case I will stand corrected.
But for now I abide by my current (and admittedly financially painful) practice of only buying more expensive tools such as Craftsman and Blackhawk.

I suppose it's good to have a quick & easy alternative. My local Blackhawk dealer has banker's hours, and the Sears are more of a drive for me, so in a desperate situation I may have to utilize Autozone again someday.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, i wouldnt trust those great neck ratchets as far as i can throw them (i have thrown them). they work *OK* for minor jobs. you know, oil changes, and small things like that.

i'm starting to start doing more DIY, because my mechanic costs me dearly whenever i go down there...

but i can practically walk to autozone, so i'm cool with them for now.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Their stuff is crap.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
944-LT1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed, the last few years, that breaking a Craftsman ratchet is getting quite easy. I think quality has gone down. Anyone else notice this? (yes, im using the right tool for the job...lol).

I have also noticed that the click of the Snap-on ratchets are closer together than the Craftsman where it used to be the other way around. Moot point I know, but it really makes a difference when in a tight spot and where one click makes a difference.

One more problem is that newer tools are made to catch the eye on the shelf rather than function. The smooth chrome of the sockets makes an oily/dirty job very difficult. I really wish that all sockets were knurled for better grip as well as the ratchets. Otherwise, when working in a oily/dirty situation, you always have to keep rags and towels around to keep your grip (or wear gloves).
Old 04-21-2006, 05:07 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I know these are not the greatest of quality. I thought they were qucik cheap alternatie to driving over the depot since an autozone is accross the street. I don't plan to put 200ft-lbs on this 3/8.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:10 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Great Neck tools suck. I've got a couple but only because Autozone is the only 24 hour automotive place that stocks 17mm hex heads, T-60 Torx bits. I always dread smacking myself in the face when relying on any sort of socket made by great neck. I'm just waiting for the day when it shears halfway up the socket and I sucker punch myself.

In other news, the Husky tools sold by Home Depot are just relabled Stanley tools. I purchased a 200 piece set with the black annodizing a while back for something like $150. I've been very happy with it so far. I know Stanley stuff isn't the best, but where else can you get a sweet price and a lifetime warranty for a decent tool set?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:14 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
I have noticed, the last few years, that breaking a Craftsman ratchet is getting quite easy. I think quality has gone down. Anyone else notice this? (yes, im using the right tool for the job...lol).

I have also noticed that the click of the Snap-on ratchets are closer together than the Craftsman where it used to be the other way around. Moot point I know, but it really makes a difference when in a tight spot and where one click makes a difference.

One more problem is that newer tools are made to catch the eye on the shelf rather than function. The smooth chrome of the sockets makes an oily/dirty job very difficult. I really wish that all sockets were knurled for better grip as well as the ratchets. Otherwise, when working in a oily/dirty situation, you always have to keep rags and towels around to keep your grip (or wear gloves).

Hmmm, 3 good thoughts to ponder.

Last Craftsman ratchet I broke sort of had a long cheater bar get accidentally stuck on it, then I leaned on it... oops. But it still broke the rusted bolt loose as it died!

One of these days I'll pony up the $$$ to the Snap-On guy who stops by my work every Thursday. Then I'll play with the clickies.

I totally agree with you on the grip issue.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

For minor DIY, I agree the Autozone tools work fine. Heck, the dollar stores wrenches work, too. For the jobs that require close tolerances, accuracy, and precision, that is why I have Craftsman/Snap-On/Metrench/Porsche tools.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

My friend just recently turned me on to SK tools. They are great, and I think less than half of what snap-on and mac charge. I actually prefer the feel of an SK wrench in my hand now compared to my snap-on's. Next time i get some money together, I'm gonna get me a basic wrench and socket set of SK's. Oh yeah, LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:43 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,228 Posts

How do you claim the warranty? Many places use this as their out. Best Buy for instance, loose the receipt on their extended warranty, you are SOL.

At least with Craftsman, you walk in with a broken tool, walk out with a good one.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

But autozone is the only one that will let you borrow their more special tools for free

I have used them all and it really just depends on the job.....and way more importantly how close you are to an autozone..or zones and most important of all...do they have it in stock when you destroy the one you bought!

You get what you pay for...and with the rise in gas prices you have to roll that into the cost.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you are going to be heartbroken when you start searching who makes all those tools, others are going to be floored.

Let's suffice it to say that much like batteries most are made by the same 3-4 suppliers.

Quick Reply: Autozone tools.