Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is clay bar and how can it help me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006 | 05:05 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Default What is clay bar and how can it help me?

What is the clay bar so many talk about. How do you use it?
Old 04-19-2006 | 05:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Clay bar is a paint cleaning clay. any pollen, overspray, tar, bird sh*t, dirt, dust, whatever that's imbedded itself into your paint, a clay bar will remove.

many different methods, so here's mine:
wash car normally, and rinse. while you're washing, have your clay in the wash bucket.
Wash car again, doing 3 foot or so sections. rub claybar lightly over soapy area. (soap is a MUST... lubricates clay, so it doesn't get stuck and remove paint) Rinse area, go to next area, repeat until car is done. works perfectly. you'll literally see your car change colors.

After you're done there, wax the car. the paint will be essentially bare, and you need to protect it.

edit: It's a special clay. you can't dig a section of your yard and expect it to work...
Old 04-19-2006 | 05:14 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Here I thought it was where Gumby went after work.
Old 04-19-2006 | 05:35 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

cool, so where do I buy clay bar. And how hard to I press? Sounds really labor intensive.
Old 04-19-2006 | 06:28 PM
Racer46
Instructor

Picked mine up at Pep Boys. Mother's clay bar kit, comes with a lubricant spray. Not much pressure, you're not sanding the surface, just rub the clay over the paint. You will be able to feel the diffrence. A Miata took me about 2 hours. The paint on my 951 isn't worth it but I would guess 3 hours.
Old 04-19-2006 | 06:42 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

only use proper lubrication, this thing can strip your paint away. the proper lube is a showtime finish, the same thing that comes with the mothers kit.
Old 04-19-2006 | 06:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Zoltan is DEAD WRONG. I've used the soapy water method on ALL of my customers cars. they still have paint, it's not lifting or damaged. I use it on MY car too. I've been using it for years now, thanks.

over on the Autopia forums (a detailing forum) they have all come pretty much to the conclusion that the clay lubricant is a way to part a fool and his money. as long as there is *something* slick between the paint and clay, you're alright. soapy water is something slick. it works just fine.

Pep boys has it, etc. etc.

And also, if you're using the lube, it's expensive and very time consuming. using soapy water adds 20-30 minutes to the wash.

Oh, and if you don't beleive my credentials Zoltan, I currently own a detailing business. Link in the sig.
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:04 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Proof: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....ight=clay+lube
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:04 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

i never said you were wrong, i told the guy to read the directions. all of my supplies come straight from detail supply stores. It just so happens i am passing information on that i was told.
However, I just happen to have a friend that works at Mothers (Mothers Polishes Inc) and he told me the same thing. Do what you want listen to what you want, i never said anyone was wrong, i am passing info.
But maybe i am DEAD WRONG.
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:06 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

actually another thing showtime finish does that isn't listed here is leaves your car some good conditioning to soak up. Its like using conditioner, feel the paint next time after claying with showtime and feel how 'silky' the paint is
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:09 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

did you read towards the end of that thread you posted?
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Well, you are about it stripping the paint unless a specific lube is used... and nowhere in your post did you say to read the directions... you just said,

Originally Posted by zoltan944
only use proper lubrication, this thing can strip your paint away. the proper lube is a showtime finish, the same thing that comes with the mothers kit.
Dude, the industries (even if they are your friends, or your friends may be trained and don't know otherwise... conditioned if you will...) are of course going to say, "Yes, use our product with clay... otherwise it'll damage your car"... this is a way of using scare tactics to get you to part with your money... Granted, at one point in time, I beleived the same thing... that you MUST use SPECIFIC lube... then I learned the better, CHEAPER, and equally effective way.
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:13 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

actually another thing showtime finish does that isn't listed here is leaves your car some good conditioning to soak up. Its like using conditioner, feel the paint next time after claying with showtime and feel how 'silky' the paint is

Feels just the same after soapy water. and not to mention, if you're waxing the car afterward, well, you gotta remove the residue to have something good for the wax to bond to, ESPESCIALLY if you use a synthetic wax.

did you read towards the end of that thread you posted?
Yep... about the clay breaking down, even after using a quick detailer? (your proper lube) clay breaks down, it wears. it's a fact of life, and these guys are PROFESSIONAL detailers for the most part. their clay gets used EVERY day. I've yet to kill a clay bar, unless they get so full of contaminates, I throw them out. I also use less of a soapy mixture than some of the guys, and I definately use a gentler soap.
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:20 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

So let me ask you a question as this is my last post to this thread as i love this forum and don't want any animosity or anything.
Here is what you quoted
"only use proper lubrication, this thing can strip your paint away. the proper lube is a showtime finish, the same thing that comes with the mothers kit."
^^^^^^^Is that the quote you are upset about?
So here is my question
do you use lubrication? or is soapy water not lubrication? would you say showtime is the proper lube, but have possibly found an alternative?
sorry that was 3 questions, but i still don't think i said anything wrong
Old 04-19-2006 | 07:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

You said: "ONLY use PROPER lubrication, as it will strip your paint away. the PROPER lube is a showtime finish..."

to me, that means you are saying anything OTHER than showtime finish will strip your paint. yes, that's what I'm upset about, as it to me shows you are spreading misinformation with the way you said it. had you said something to the effect of "use lube. I use the showtime finish...", I'd not have gotten angry.

Soapy water IS lubrication, we've gone over this.

No, I would not say showtime finish is THE proper lube. I'd say it works, but it's not the BEST alternative, nor is it the worst. it is however, one of the most expensive. there is NO difference between soapy water and showtime finish in the end result. why spend the money?

it's not that you said anything wrong, it's HOW you said it, making it seem the showtime finish is the only way to fly.

Quick Reply: What is clay bar and how can it help me?