Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing washers- should this make me mad? Plus a real question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006 | 02:42 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Default Missing washers- should this make me mad? Plus a real question..

When I first got my car I wasn't prepared to work on it and spent a lot of money getting oil leaks fixed, one of which was at the cover at the rear of the cam tower (new gasket installed.) Last night I removed the rear engine lifting bracket for re-plating, and the bolts were barely tight. I also found that they DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO PUT THE WASHERS BACK. I remember that they also complained about how hard the bolts were to get to. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been long before I had another leak there. This is a shop that specializes in these cars.

The parts manual lists these as spring washers. I assume they function as lock washers. Is that right? It seems to me that over-tightening the screws would break the cover.

Should I order original spring washers or just use lock washers? Loctite? Some experienced advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2006 | 03:46 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

yes, they function like a lock washer.

you can get a metric spring washer like that at your local hardware store, they just look like they have a little wobble in them. i replaced my 3 with SS bolts and washers i found them at ACE where i work no problem at all.

you would have to tighten the snot out of it to break that aluminum cover, but i wouldnt worry about that, i dont think they are torqued over 15-20lbs to begin with
Old 04-19-2006 | 03:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

if you tighten them too much, they will break the bolt or stip the housing. After about a month you should check those cuz they will come loose again after the cork gasket flatens out.
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:15 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Ahh, wave washers to help keep pressure on the gasket as it compresses and to help keep the bolts from backing out makes perfect sense. I'm off to Ace.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Missing washers- should this make me mad? Plus a real question..