Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car sticker says i should be using WR8DS but i have

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006 | 12:16 AM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Default My car sticker says i should be using WR8DS but i have

WR7DP in there, i know the P is platinum which i actually perfer the copper but anyway. I leave the part store and put these in after looking on Rennlist to double check i got the right thing, the WR7DS/P is what was suggessted for use on here.
So i think i am running a hotter plug, this may explain my sucky performance while cold, and my overall sucky performance and why the plug looks a little overheated.
what you guys think?
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:06 AM
AR10
Racer

Running hotter or colder plugs has no effect on how the
engine runs when cold. It only has to do with the temp.
at plug firing end when under load when warmed up.
The effect of spark plugs on overall performance is
over rated.
Old 04-15-2006 | 11:33 AM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Zoltan, you need to put info about your car in you signature. Is it an S? What year? Turbo?

Lou
Old 04-15-2006 | 11:49 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Say NO to platinum plugs.
Old 04-15-2006 | 05:23 PM
Racer46
Instructor

Originally Posted by lleroyb
Zoltan, you need to put info about your car in you signature. Is it an S? What year? Turbo?

Lou
You don't get a signature unless you're a member. Something I need to do.
Old 04-15-2006 | 05:51 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

How about Iriduims?
Anything wrong with those in 944 n/a's?

-Brett
Old 04-15-2006 | 09:04 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

sorry its my 86 N/A, and im getting around to paying for memebership...im just lazzzy
i just got the copper bosch ones the car says it wants. so, i am gonna put them on regardless of what performance does.
BTW i will only consider the 'low effect' of plugs statement since im not talking about a turbo, or a modified motor.
ill report if anything is different
Old 04-15-2006 | 11:05 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AR10
Running hotter or colder plugs has no effect on how the engine runs when cold. It only has to do with the temp. at plug firing end when under load when warmed up. The effect of spark plugs on overall performance is over rated.
Spark plugs act as a heat sink and will make a difference in performance if they are not the correct heat range. You can help to prevent knock or fouling and that will help performance.

A little tidbit from NGK's website:

Heat range

The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, by that we mean, a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK nor the same in Autolite. Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for domestic manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.

Do not make spark plug changes at the same time as another engine modification such as injection, carburetion or timing changes as in the event of poor results, it can lead to misleading and inaccurate conclusions (an exception would be when the alternate plugs came as part of a single precalibrated upgrade kit). When making spark plug heat range changes, it is better to err on the side of too cold a plug. The worst thing that can happen from too cold a plug is a fouled spark plug, too hot a spark plug can cause severe engine damage
Old 04-19-2006 | 11:38 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

FWIW,

My Porsche Parts and Technical manual says you should be using WR7DC in an '86NA. WR8DS for early cars.
Lou

Quick Reply: My car sticker says i should be using WR8DS but i have