Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observation on the new "Car Culture"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
I think it has more to do with our culture in general. Appearance over substance and value.

Not neccesarily! I picked up my car when I was 16, and it's still running strong!

I was generalizing, there are exceptions to every generalization.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
I think it has more to do with our culture in general. Appearance over substance and value.
DING DING DING!!! I posted the thread to see how long it would take for someone to identify the root cause of this trend, and you have nailed it. I thought it would take more than 2 pages. Actually, I thought I would have to say it myself

Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" Remember people w/ air shox in the 80's running around trying to look like drag racers?"

Now wait a minute, first of all, don't be dragging us old guys into this bashing, we got enough trouble just trying to get our socks to match. And those were "muscle cars" <said respectfully>- completely different than this bling bling thing.... .;]

And besides it was the sixties, all those other decades were just wannabes.

Bruce
Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I can't help that a dope dealer wanted to bling out (his) my car. Thats the nature of the beast and while i agree the minimalist route (less is best) the car is what it is.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951North
Sadly this plastic grill/side intake etc.. isn't limited to ricers. Have a look at the MK5 GTI? Plastic Honeycomb grill, WTF? Look at some examples from Pontiac, Ford, etc... fake hood scoops side inlets, etc... pathetic.

IMO the lines of the 944 are classic and timeless, no need to add any bling, the only thing I would change about the appearance of my 951 would be a 968 turbo RS spoiler, 930s steering wheel (non-airbag OE), and perhaps shift ****, other than that it's perfect.

The up side is that as all the 944/951's are picked up by young folks is that they will ultimately die from lack of maintenance and our examples will appreciate in value and rarity.
On a modded 951 that sees the track the 968 Turbo S spoiler is very functional as it is adjustable for down force, so not only does it look cool its also fuctional.

Brandon
Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Opeth
Pro

Thumbs up

Has anyone ever heard the saying:

"If its too loud, you're too old!" ?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

I'm with SD Porsche Fan, sleeper is the way to go if you are modding it. For instance, the wings that look like they belong to a bi-plane, wtf?!?! IF you needed that much downforce, I doubt your car would be street legal!! I am trying to keep my car as stock as possible, but I am working on better suspension(turbo susp. in n/a), and maybe up the rims to the 16's instead of 15's, but still be fuch's. Less sidewall, less squish, still look clean.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Well the RS wing was designed by Porsche for a reason. Thats factory equipment designed for a specific purpose. Putting a S2/968 wing on a 924 might seem odd...but im sure it will still be somewhat in line with Porsches design.

The honeycomb grill on the GTI is ok...where it is actually open. I don't mind plastic grills...i prefer metal, but that can always be swapped out. If the whole front of the GTI was sealed off, and just had a grill for looks...that would be cheesy.

There was a post a while back, and an ebay sale of rear grills for the 944. Metal, and they went between the taillights just like the "lightbar" that some people have. Personally I thought it was the awesomest looking feature...but... we don't have an engine back there. I could never bring myself to installing a massive rear grill that leads to nowhere.

Its funny people are soooo willing to spend big dollars on parts, body shops, paint, etc... but they never upgrade parts that the car REALLY needs. Like brakes! I've seen soooo many hondas trying to look as race-oriented as possible, but their brakes are smaller than my center caps. Or they have drum brakes. That massive rear wing *might* give you downforce at speeds over 85mph...but how in the world are you gonna stop???

EDIT: Yes I agree, a purposeful sleeper is quite attractive!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Does this mean I should cancel my order for 24" wheels on my 911?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

actually i'd have to say that the younger croud would take better care of the 944's since that'd be their pride and joy/first car(s) i.e. me and my p-cars. it's the older generation, not anybody here i assure you, but the older generation that IMO can become lazy about matinence. although it is the younger generation that adds body kits 'n such and destroy them that way. i guess each generation's got their own problems.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:18 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

My philosophy is what the guy on the left does...
<------------ Unpimp ze auto.

I own an Acura, and I have yet to rice it. It's largely stock, except for a cat-back and a short shifter and only because the stock parts had worn out or snapped. I'm still running on stock 14s, but I paid $10 for black primer and clearcoat rattle cans and it looks pretty good. Sure the outlet on cat-back is about 4" (2.25" piping though), but it's added a good 5-7 hp between 3-5k rpm. My mom drove it today and loved it (although admitting the short shifter makes it a tad heavy, but still liked how it was ultra precise compared to her mk4 Jetta)

My mk3 Jetta TD is likely to have a rally theme (for actual TSD and rally-x use) w/a few sets of Hellas, skidplate and rally wheels.

I add stuff to a car for a reason... to see better at night or to make it faster in straightline stuff AND around the twisties.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

No rice stuff here either.

The cars are supposed to look like they were made to look. Functional performance upgrades aside, like lowering a bit, don't count.

All this bling stuff is just to draw more attention to the car and who's driving it. I don't want that attention, 'cause I'd probably get a speeding ticket. Naa, rather just dissapear in obscurity in stealth mode.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mavfan
actually i'd have to say that the younger croud would take better care of the 944's since that'd be their pride and joy/first car(s) i.e. me and my p-cars. it's the older generation, not anybody here i assure you, but the older generation that IMO can become lazy about matinence. although it is the younger generation that adds body kits 'n such and destroy them that way. i guess each generation's got their own problems.

I dunno man, I trashed my first car... halfway through the second, I learned some respect... the third (Porsche) I baby...
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah thats another big one for me at least. I don't want the attention. I'de rather slip by unnoticed and keep to my own business.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

Originally Posted by mavfan

It's not only pride of ownership. It's also a function of being able to afford to take care of the car. Many can afford the price of admission. But not all can afford the price of ownership.

Can you say deferred maintenance, boys and girls?

Quick Reply: Observation on the new "Car Culture"