Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has any one used or own this scissors lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts
Default has any one used or own this scissors lift?

I'm looking for something to give my old 58 YO back a rest. I can't possibly fit a 2 or 4-post into my garage space and still maintain a successful marriage. I like the portability of this one and realize it's not a perefect solution but as a freind said "any lift is better than no lift". Comments welcome please.

http://www.directlift.com/pro6mr.html
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Harbor Freight has them as well. I haven't used one on the 944 but my buddy has one for his car and it works awesome. Lifts his '67 camaro and '04 dodge pickup no issues. Only caveat is the ground clearance to get over it. He had to lay down some planks to gain enough clearance as he drove over them... good luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A few of the 964 guys really like this one:

http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html

Marc
Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been loking for something like this too. Downfall to this is no clearance to work on exhaust system or driveline.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cas951
I've been loking for something like this too. Downfall to this is no clearance to work on exhaust system or driveline.

I've considered this also and have the following comments. I've done clutches, oil changes, and need to swap the test pipe on the 951 every 2 years for smog. The placement of the lifts crossmembers looks like it will allow access to the transaxle, front and rear of torque tube, X-over pipe, WG, and clutch area. Even at full height on 3-T jackstands (24") my back kills me on brake jobs, suspension work, and just about anything under the car. As long as I can disconnect the exhuast from the down pipe I can always get the cat back stuff connected on stands if I have to but I bet i could still fish it through the gap. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but if I don't do something I think my wrenching days are coming to an end. My biggest concern would be what happens to the balance if I drop the trans from a lifted position? The space between the base gets smaller at full extension of the lift; is it enough to make it tip? I suppose if the 964 folks can drop an engine off the rear end it should be OK for a transaxle even if I had to use a lower height position. I like the idea of the rollers at the 4 corners.The swing arms also slide in tracks so I can position it where I need to if I'm going to be changing the balance too much. With 4 cars to maintain I have to do something to take some of the drudgery out of wrenching. I'll have to check the clearance on the 951 (stock height) to see if 5" will hit the front crossmember so I can park over it when not in use.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 04-05-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Luckily I can answer these questions as I have one (http://www.asedeals.com/mid_rise_lift.html). I have dropped both the engine and transaxle with ease using this lift. In fact, I had my transaxle out this weekend to put in a new gas tank. No problem with balance with dropping from either end.

It can be tough to get into the clutch area with the lift, but IMO it is still easier and safer than working with jack stands. It is tough to work in the middle of the car, but there's really not that much to work on in there.

I have a small stool on wheels that I use when working under the car, works great.

My track car sits far too low to drive over the lift, so I have 2x12 ramps set up on both sides. I don't even bother to move them when working and the car sits on them when the lift is not in use.

Well worth the money if you do all of your own wrenching
Old 04-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Say you need to do exhaust and you have one of these lifts. Jack the car all the way up and then put 6 ton jack stands under the car, remove the lift, get to work.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2006, 12:48 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I hear ya. I have 6 cars to maintain as well and that is not counting my friends who comes over just about every weekend to work on their cars.This is probably the most portable yet so i'm really going to consider this one. $1200 is well worth it I think. This will probably my next purchase. If you do get this before me I'd like to come by and check this out. My daughter lives in Sac so i'll have an excuse to come up there.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Steve, here's the answer to your PM

For both the engine and tranny, I lowered the car so that the engine was sitting on a pallette and the tranny was sitting on a jack (of course all misc was taken care of with the car up higher). Loosen all bolts and just lift the car off of the engine or tranny.

As for portability, well, I can move it around the garage, but it's not easy. I could pull it out of the garage myself, but would not be able to get it back in since there is a 1/4" ridge where the concrete meets the pavement.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

You may want to call your local lift installer as they usually re-sell what they pull out of auto shops. I bought (actually my friend bought in exchange for garage time) my two post and had it installed for 1200. Cash talks with these guys usually as they typically are hauling away what they pull out of the shops.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I bought that exact lift. You will need boards for clearance. My Saturn, and my wifes Camry just barely cleared it without the boards.

It weighs quite a bit, and can be manuevered around, but like stated above, if you have a lip or any slight slant to your driveway....watch out!
You actually use the stand to move it around. You hook it and then leverage it around.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Lots more comments here from the 911 guys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

To those that bought one--did you have it shipped to your house, or did you pick up? If shipped, how did you get the pallet off the truck & into your garage/shop? The retailers recommend use of a forklift. I don't happen to keep one of those lying around my house.
I assume you can pay extra charges to the freight company for lift service, but curious if anyone has a better idea.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:39 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ken D
Lots more comments here from the 911 guys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

To those that bought one--did you have it shipped to your house, or did you pick up? If shipped, how did you get the pallet off the truck & into your garage/shop? The retailers recommend use of a forklift. I don't happen to keep one of those lying around my house.
I assume you can pay extra charges to the freight company for lift service, but curious if anyone has a better idea.
Picked up at the facility and had a sharply angled driveway. It took three people pulling it off a flatbed and dragging it up the driveway. The trailer was level with the curve of the driveway. I was lucky. I know one guy had a tractor so he used that to unload his once Fed-ex delivered it. When shipping you have to tell them that they will need a lift gate.( I think you get charged extra for this from the shipper)
Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks rossa.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 PM
ApexCars
Pro

What about a single post hobby lift like this: http://www.geminilift.com/hobby.htm That way you can still work on everything and park on it when not in use. They also make rolling jack trays and drip pans for it so you can get the car off the wheels and keep from messing up the floor.

Quick Reply: has any one used or own this scissors lift?