Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has any one used or own this scissors lift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexCars
What about a single post hobby lift like this: http://www.geminilift.com/hobby.htm That way you can still work on everything and park on it when not in use. They also make rolling jack trays and drip pans for it so you can get the car off the wheels and keep from messing up the floor.
Downside is that it requires 12' ceilings, which is a barrier for some. What's the price on that?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

This is all great info. The pic of the 944 with dropped engine is good enough for me. I truly wish I could get a post-type but ceiling height, garage door, 6"x14" beam are all working against me. Even at full 52" rise I won't have to modify my ceiling with a scissors lift and can move it to the center of the garage as needed. I really think this will work out well and I can always sell it for $800-$900 when DMV tells me I'm too old to drive anything powered by gas. Thanks for all the input...I guess there's really an interest in this type for the exact reasons I'm looking at one.

Cas951-You are welcome to check it out if you get to Sac, unless of course you get one first and then the beers on me when I check yours out!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Lots more comments here from the 911 guys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

To those that bought one--did you have it shipped to your house, or did you pick up? If shipped, how did you get the pallet off the truck & into your garage/shop? The retailers recommend use of a forklift. I don't happen to keep one of those lying around my house.
I assume you can pay extra charges to the freight company for lift service, but curious if anyone has a better idea.
I picked mine up at the shipping company, who loaded it on my open car trailer with a forklift. I have a very very very flat driveway, so we just backed the trailer up to the garage and started onloading. At that point the lift is in multiple pieces and my bud and I had no problem unloading it.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
This is all great info. The pic of the 944 with dropped engine is good enough for me. I truly wish I could get a post-type but ceiling height, garage door, 6"x14" beam are all working against me. Even at full 52" rise I won't have to modify my ceiling with a scissors lift and can move it to the center of the garage as needed. I really think this will work out well and I can always sell it for $800-$900 when DMV tells me I'm too old to drive anything powered by gas. Thanks for all the input...I guess there's really an interest in this type for the exact reasons I'm looking at one.

Cas951-You are welcome to check it out if you get to Sac, unless of course you get one first and then the beers on me when I check yours out!
Yes, if you are space constrained this is the lift for you. Having said that, I just got engaged and my future wife and I are busy talking about rennovating my house. She is going to get what she wants as long as I get a new "work" garage added to my two-car garage. The new work space will have ceilings that will allow for an asymmetrical 2-post lift. Thus, if all goes well, I'll be selling a used scissors lift in about 1-year.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, before you buy, check out this one. seems to have more undercar access. http://www.nogumracing.com/lift_photos/index.html
Old 04-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I picked mine up at the shipping company, who loaded it on my open car trailer with a forklift. I have a very very very flat driveway, so we just backed the trailer up to the garage and started onloading. At that point the lift is in multiple pieces and my bud and I had no problem unloading it.
Thanks Tim. Sounds like I'll be able to handle it once it is actually off the truck.

Enjoy building your new shop! I think I could easily spend on my garage what I spent on the whole house.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

steve, if you get this, you'll become my new best friend.

prepare to be invaded by a large mexican.

FEEL THE WRATH!!!!!

(j/k.........but i will be buying that from you when you get too old, you know that, right?)
Old 04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Ken D: There are two models of the lift that I posted about. One only requires a 9' ceiling. Not sure of the price, I think several companies offer the same thing, that one just has a link to all of the specs. Also, since they are built about five minutes from my house, I wouldn't have to worry about shipping costs. I plan to stop in and really check them out once I get a workshop.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Steve, before you buy, check out this one. seems to have more undercar access. http://www.nogumracing.com/lift_photos/index.html
That's a real nice lift Dan but I think that's a bit out of my ghetto budget. I have my wife convinced I'm just looking at a 'better, safer jack'; she'd recognize that thing as Godzilla and I'd be back on an $15 auto creeper in a New York minute. I got a quote this morning on the one I posted the earlier link for - $1,195/delivered to home...that's hard to beat (5 yr structural/2 yr hydraulic warranty, spare parts sourced in Ft. Worth).

To be fair, all of the scissor types in the $1K to $1.5K are made in China but not by the same company that makes the Harbor Freight model. They are clones of a popular US design but about half the price and usually always of a lesser quality. Everything is a tradeoff and I'm not looking for something that will get used on a daily basis. Personally I don't think the central clearance issue will be a big problem for me; TT clamps; cat back, and a heat sheild are about the only thing in the middle of a 944. If I get another 45 hours overtime this week like last I'm golden. The heavy rains we have been getting have been keeping me on the road for the 2nd week now. There's a $ilver lining to every dark cloud, at least in my business.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a real nice lift Dan but I think that's a bit out of my ghetto budget. I have my wife convinced I'm just looking at a 'better, safer jack'; she'd recognize that thing as Godzilla and I'd be back on an $15 auto creeper in a New York minute. I got a quote this morning on the one I posted the earlier link for - $1,195/delivered to home...that's hard to beat (5 yr structural/2 yr hydraulic warranty, spare parts sourced in Ft. Worth).

To be fair, all of the scissor types in the $1K to $1.5K are made in China but not by the same company that makes the Harbor Freight model. They are clones of a popular US design but about half the price and usually always of a lesser quality. Everything is a tradeoff and I'm not looking for something that will get used on a daily basis. Personally I don't think the central clearance issue will be a big problem for me; TT clamps; cat back, and a heat sheild are about the only thing in the middle of a 944. If I get another 45 hours overtime this week like last I'm golden. The heavy rains we have been getting have been keeping me on the road for the 2nd week now. There's a $ilver lining to every dark cloud, at least in my business.

yeah, i hear water resources is very busy right now trying to keep water where they want it and not in people's homes/flooding the roads.

all i know is that my house isnt flooded, so you must be doing your work! ( )

btw- are you going to have some kind of wrenching party to break in your new lift, by any chance.............???

if those things are as good as they supposedly are, i think i'll be acquiring one soon.......
Old 04-06-2006, 03:15 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
btw- are you going to have some kind of wrenching party to break in your new lift, by any chance.............???
All for a group Clutch change at Steve's house say aye!

AAYYYEE!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had the Harbor Freight one for about a year and absolutely LOVE IT! I use it for MANY jobs on my 951 & 928...and even to make easy work of an oil change in my Nissan Titan (about the weight of my 2 cars combined!). Several others on the 928 forum have bought one after my positive experience, and all are equally pleased. And - at UNDER A GRAND - DELIVERED (I used my engine cherry picker to unload it when it got here)...it is a deal! (pics on these 2 threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/192290-sharkwork-just-got-easier-my-new-lift-is-here.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/192471-motor-mount-update-squished.html

I had wanted a 2-post, but realized I had no clearance unless I cut through the ceiling. Even then - the garage door opener hardware would have only given me another 4" over the HF scissor.

Yep - I have 2 'stepped' 2x10's to drive up on... and I just park over the lift on a daily basis. As others have pointed out, there are limitations to any 'mid car' work underneath....but there just ain't that much in the middle (TT and exhaust is about it)...and - as another suggested - I lift the car, set up jack stands - and go. I bought it originally for tire/brake/susp work - doing a lot of DE/AX - I was changing tires like most people change underwear! I can go from parked...to in the air in 3 minutes!

The other consideration for the 2-poster is the room it takes up...I just didn't have enough. Parking over the scissor - I lose no room to walk around. The one poster (and the 4 posters I have seen) - driving up on them negated the ability to do any tire/brake/susp work!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Are those THAT safe? it looks like you could just knock the car over from the side.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzy
Are those THAT safe? it looks like you could just knock the car over from the side.
It is VERY stable. You'd need a few NFL lineman to "knock over from the side".

Even tho there is a lock on the lifting arms, I place a jack stand under the "X" of the scissor on each side - just to be safe.

As I stated - I have lifted my Nissan Titan 4-door with no problems!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:52 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark
I have had the Harbor Freight one for about a year and absolutely LOVE IT! I use it for MANY jobs on my 951 & 928...and even to make easy work of an oil change in my Nissan Titan (about the weight of my 2 cars combined!). Several others on the 928 forum have bought one after my positive experience, and all are equally pleased. And - at UNDER A GRAND - DELIVERED (I used my engine cherry picker to unload it when it got here)...it is a deal! (pics on these 2 threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192290
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192471

I had wanted a 2-post, but realized I had no clearance unless I cut through the ceiling. Even then - the garage door opener hardware would have only given me another 4" over the HF scissor.

Yep - I have 2 'stepped' 2x10's to drive up on... and I just park over the lift on a daily basis. As others have pointed out, there are limitations to any 'mid car' work underneath....but there just ain't that much in the middle (TT and exhaust is about it)...and - as another suggested - I lift the car, set up jack stands - and go. I bought it originally for tire/brake/susp work - doing a lot of DE/AX - I was changing tires like most people change underwear! I can go from parked...to in the air in 3 minutes!

The other consideration for the 2-poster is the room it takes up...I just didn't have enough. Parking over the scissor - I lose no room to walk around. The one poster (and the 4 posters I have seen) - driving up on them negated the ability to do any tire/brake/susp work!
That's a good deal on the HF model especially with the 20% off coupons they send me every 2 weeks. I need to decide though if the extra 13" rise on the other model is worth it. At 52" I can roll around on my stool, at 39" I think I might be bending over too much. At $520 less it's very tempting.

Quick Reply: has any one used or own this scissors lift?