Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the oil filler neck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you remove the oil filler neck?

I loosened up the two top bolts and it still won't budge. I can't see any others. What else do I need to remove?
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is one on the lower right hand side...good luck it is a MOTHER.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it is a royal pain in the *** to reach that one...i used a wobble and a extension to get at it.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

So I get to it from below, and no exhaust or anything else has to be removed? Anything I need to watch out for?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Get it from the top and you need to watch your hands, you have to put them WAY down in there, if you arent careful you can cut the sh*t out of yourself. I would remove the MC heat shield to get some room.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turbo and downpipe have to be out.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
mrwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ What he said. I'm actually in the midst of it as we speak and I saw no way to get to this bolt from behind the heat shield without removing the turbo and down-pipe (until a few mods are made putting it back together :-)). If you have access to it, check out the PET application and it will give you an idea of where that bolt hides. Lots of people have had to tackle this problem before you and I. I recommend searching the site for the term 'AOS' (Air Oil Separator). This should give you all you need to move forward. The one modification that I did was to cut a slot out of the heat shield to aide in the removal of that bolt next time around.

Best of luck.

MrWolfe
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
callmethewanderer
Instructor

curios, why are you removing it?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Okay thanks for the replies, I finally got a chance to see everything in daylight.

On my car, I can see that there's no way to get the bottom bolt out with the heat shield in place, and I really don't want to mess with the turbo and downpipe.

I wanted to change the o-rings while I was in there because as the picture shows, it's a little wet. I don't know if it came from the top pipe on the AOS or from the o-rings going int the block.

After reading about the AOS (thanks for the search tip mrwolf) it sounds like it's not worth digging into.

If anyone thinks it's worth it please share. Thanks guys, one of these days I'll get to drive it again
Old 05-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

We've done it without removing the turbo and downpipe, and I have a 3" downpipe on the car. It seems that my brand new motor leaked oil when I would turn corners...found out that the aos had cracked from top to bottom.

We removed the bolts from the heat shield, and managed to get it far enough forward to reach the lower aos bolt. Once it was out, the shield and the aos came out together. Be very patient and expect a few cuts, but its possible.

Before it goes back in, notch the shield at the bottom to access the lower aos bolt, slide them both in and bolt everything down. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How do you remove the oil filler neck?