Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Bay Restoration, Hose Replacement, Tune-Up, etc. with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Tom I've been in touch with Crazy Eddie, trying to figure out which of us is actually crazier- I think he's winning.

KLR- I didn't do anything but soak them in CLR, and they came out amazing. A few hours should do it if you can shake them up every once in a while, or overnight if not. I found out today from the plater (Save-On in Phoenix) that the ones that bubbled up are stainless- they said they have to be plated separately from the rest. Now I'm wondering if they were all really plated originally. Lots of them looked like chrome bands and plated heads before soaking. I was told that they were all Yellow Zinc plated- that may not be the case for all of them.

As for doing things differently, I may not have needed to go nuts stripping everything like I did. But at least it showed where there was pitting to be sanded out.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know that those hose clamps are not meant to be re-used, don't you? The clamps will not reliably hold the torque the second time. The only hose clamps that can be re-used are the ones with the actual screw holding them together (t-bolts and the like). The stamped metal clamps are just supposed to be one time use.

Just fyi.

Otherwise, it looks great!

Dal.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:56 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dal Heger
You know that those hose clamps are not meant to be re-used, don't you?

Dal.
No I didn't know that.

And I wish I didn't
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably isn't a big deal.. but you'll find out. I reused a lot of stuff I won't mention on rennlist.

Can I just say WOW your engine bay (even around teh engine) is clean!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Devon. Well I took a close look at the hose clamps and can honestly say that there is no sign that they were used at all. I unscrewed all of the bands before plating, and there were no marks on them. A little squirt of oil and they go together and tighten smooth as silk. It took 3 more tries to get the hose clamps all looking good. A magnet tells me that they were not stainless after all, so I think that they were originally chrome plated like I thought, and the stripping process just didn’t get it all off on the first try.

It was pretty easy to match up the clamps to the old hoses, and in most cases I could match them to the exact original spots because of slight differences in stamping/spot welding on them. I do think it’s important to get them back in the original spots since the worm-screw type are deformed under the head to match the hose size when they are tightened.

Below are some pictures showing some loose pre-assembly. This was a big help to sort out the hardware, and it’s much less overwhelming now. It would have been easier if I had taken more and better pictures when I took everything apart. It took a lot of time looking through pictures to get it to this point. It could probably be finished in a good long weekend, but with the amount of time that I am able to put in, could be a couple of months still.

I’ve been picking up hose clamps to replace the ones that were one-time use (like on the j-boot) and also missing hardware at the Porsche bone yard. Since the platers lost a few misc washers and nuts, they’re not complaining about plating more stuff at no charge. The problem is I didn’t take a complete inventory of everything, so I have to get it as I find missing items.

The first pic shows the beginning of putting it together with shiny parts. The new KLR line took about 10 tries heating the fitting and tubing with a lighter before I got it on. It’s definitely not coming off though.
Attached Images     
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That is simple awesome, although I have to say a bit over board unless the car is strictly a show car. But in any case, very very nice work and keep it up.

BTW, you are going to have by far the most beautiful and original engine bay and I can not wait to see the final pictures of this.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

nice work, I just tore mine down for a battery cable kit and belts/wp, my attempt at cleaning pales by comparison. are those operating room drapes in the above pics? can't wait to see the final, and get my own back on the road.

j
Old 07-26-2006, 02:21 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Hehe thanks guys- yes I know this is ridiculous for something I'm going to drive. And yes those are surgical drapes, I also wear my white coat, gloves and mask when working on it. Okay, not really.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Giantman
Racer

Dude keep it up! I wish I had the time and ***** to do something like this. As it is I can barely maintain an adequate level of personal hygiene (I won't post pics) and even sometimes find it difficult to wipe my *** properly after a huge poo! Your hard work will be rewarded each and every time you open that hood
Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 PM
944CC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Giantman
Dude keep it up! I wish I had the time and ***** to do something like this. As it is I can barely maintain an adequate level of personal hygiene (I won't post pics) and even sometimes find it difficult to wipe my *** properly after a huge poo! Your hard work will be rewarded each and every time you open that hood
haha..too much information..

Good job.. I need to get around doing this, too many projects.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Yes thanks for not posting pics Giantman..

I finally made some good progress last week and started putting it back together. It's going a lot faster and easier than I expected now. The hardest part was getting the heater hose adapter and cycling valve bracket back on.

The first picture shows a crease in the heat shield (from the forming process I assume) that really stood out after prepping for plating. Since it's about the only part of the shield that's really visible with everything back together, I pounded it out on a steel plate with a brass hammer.

The next pictures show the shield back from plating and installed, along with all the coolant hoses back on. That's it for progress during the week.
Attached Images      
Old 08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

omfg, that almost looks like a new car engine bay........

i gotta start doing some cosmetic stuff for mine.......
Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Here's progress from 1/2 day Saturday. More parts put back on.

I have decided that the bead-blaster is my new favorite tool. The fist picture shows my AFM set in place before blasting. It took about 15 minutes to do the AFM and intake manifold. The bead blasting even cleaned the plastic without changing the texture- it just got really clean. I tried sand blasting the manifold first, but the glass beads made it a lot more shiny- it almost looks painted.
Attached Images         
Old 08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMFG! That's amazing, better than any Houdini stunt.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are officially the sickest man I've ever met. It looks great, now come do mine.........

Quick Reply: My Engine Bay Restoration, Hose Replacement, Tune-Up, etc. with pictures