Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing CV joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing CV joint

Ok so i bought a replacement CV joint (yes just the joint) and it came un-assembled ; does anyone have a trick on getting these pieces together? I cant seem to get the ball bearings and races lined up.

I Did get it together once but that was not right; apparently the races must move oposite from the the inner and outer races, when i had it together with inner and outer races moving the same way it was seized and wouldnt rotate at all.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they are a PITA. WHere are you located maybe someone close could help you.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:48 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Im in Dayton Ohio; yeah i dunno the one i am replacing is easy to put together and take apart, obviously it is loose (found metal shavings)
Old 03-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK.. heres the process.

Slide boot onthe shaft

slide concave washer on the shaft, so it is concave towards the end of the shaft.

now, separate from the shaft, grease up the races some, just a thin coating for now on everything.

Scoop the bearing in a glob of grease and pop (literally push till pops) the bearings into the middle race one by one. Do only 3 or 4 of them.

pick up outer race, line it up over the inner race, so that the short separations between teh grooves match up with the wider of the inner, or vice versa. What I am saying is obvious when you look at it. You want the grooves to be going opposite directions, not the same. If you do them the same (like you did the first try) the CV won't swivel and will be locked.

To get the inner race inside the outer race with the 3-4 bearings in it, you turn the inner race perpendicular to the outer race and slide it upwards into the outer race. Once it is in the center of the outer race you can swivel it so that it fits all the way in parallel to the outer race.

The next part takes some maneuvering and is kind of trial and error. You basically tip the inner race so that the open bearing spot is just visible enough to squeez the bearing into. Do this same thing with the last 2 or 3 bearings. The last one is sometimes difficult.. Try moving the inner race higher or lower in the outer race to find where you can squeez the bearing in. Try your best not to let the other bearings come out of their grooves while you do this.

You may need to swivel the inner race with the bearing secure thing around it, to get the bearings closer or further to get the last bearing to line up with both grooves at the same time...

Then slide the whole cv assembly over the shaft (direction doesnt matter). If you can't turn the boot by hand on the shaft (if you used aftermarket ties to hold it to the shaft or something) make sure you do your best to line up the bolt holes in the CV with those of teh boot. Otherwise, allignment on the shaft isn't critical.

Tap it with a hammer all the way down so that the shaft sticks out a few mm's.

Snap the circlip over the top of the shaft... have fun with that. Prying it with a flat head screwdriver worked for me.

Make sure you pack everything tight with grease throughout all these steps.

Clean grease from everywhere but the CV, and put it on teh car!

Have fun.. let me know if you need any help.

for refference..
Pic 1: outer race (with bearings, circlip and crescent washer sitting inside it.)
Pic 2: inner race surrounded by the thing I called the "bearing secure thing"
pic 3: swiveling inner race like I described, but you would be doing this when it is in the outer race with bearings almost all in.
pic 4: step 1, the crescent washer...
Attached Images     
Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 PM
gandore
Intermediate

That did the trick, thanks for the help Yield.

Quick Reply: replacing CV joint