Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with this picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with this picture

Finally got to dropping my fuse/relay panel to chase a long time fuel pump issue. Does anyone see my gremlin?, it is hiding in plain sight. Also found the elusive grounds hidden above the wires only to be seen with the panel out. I'll try to get a pic of em.

Regards,

Dean
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2006, 02:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see it...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:37 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Look at the wire on the front right of the DME relay. It has pushed loose from the relay base. You can see the barb which is supposed to lock it in there NOT holding it in. The black wire with the white stripe. Sorry if the pics aren't clear enough.

Dean
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Here is a better pic. This explains why "sometimes" it would work.

Deano
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

AAAAAAAAHHHHH. Sneaky friggin gremlins indeed! Nice work finding that! Now that you mention it, it really does stick out like a sore thumb...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
ButtSled
Instructor

Here is a pic of the grounds on the upper left inside firewall. Looks like I got a loose one too. Anyhow, this is what they look like.

Dean
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
camelot
Instructor

Where is that "tree" looking thing again ? I've never seen it. Is it inside the car or in the engine compartment. I found one on the drivers side dash area behind the cluster. But it didn't look like that. What year and model do you have. TNX ADV

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Dean!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtSled
Here is a pic of the grounds on the upper left inside firewall. Looks like I got a loose one too. Anyhow, this is what they look like.

Dean
YEAH! Your getting the message alright. THESE are the kind of things one MUST look for, when having electrical gremlins. ATTA BOY!

You must have an early car, as the later cars (IIRC) only had the one spade tree there. (Besides the other obvious fact of the look of the fuse/relay boxes).

Please, remove, and clean those entire spade trees, and use dielectric grease on re-assembly. Clean/grease up/tighten every connection point along the way, make sure all pin/spade locks are in and locked (as you have found NOT locked up on this one).
Same is true for the fuse mount spades, the relay connectors in the back of the main fuse block (make sure they go in tight, and add tape to make it a tighter socket fit if needed), look for burnt, blackened pins/connectors (replace and/or tighten as needed), look for melted/comprimised wire insulation..................your getting it!

CONGRATS! Your gonna get 'er done.........just fine!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:58 PM
scshamus
AutoX

hey guys Ive been having some major gremlins.no kind of lights what so ever in the rear of the car,so i've pulled the dash and took out the fues box(i have an 84 944)to clean /fix any loose/broken wires and noticed in this thread that the" tree" of ground has many grounds wires. mine only has 1"tree"and 3 grounds on it .is this right?I bought the car from someone that could not figure it out themself and i bouhgt it for$500.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scshamus
hey guys Ive been having some major gremlins.no kind of lights what so ever in the rear of the car,so i've pulled the dash and took out the fues box(i have an 84 944)to clean /fix any loose/broken wires and noticed in this thread that the" tree" of ground has many grounds wires. mine only has 1"tree"and 3 grounds on it .is this right?I bought the car from someone that could not figure it out themself and i bouhgt it for$500.

Really! You have a MAJOR grounding problem, if this is true. Follow up on this!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 AM
scshamus
AutoX

I'm a little slow some times .do you mean the fact that i only have 3 grounds on the tree a big problem,or the fact that i have no brake,running,driving,or reverse lights and no turn signals. i do have headlights and front running lights,but no rear lights is a real problem,and i would really like to get her on the road.I had a 79 924 and really miss the handling.I have 10mi of winding road to drive every day avd it sucks in the blazer. tx shamus p.s. should i have more grouds on the tree,btw how many grounds are on the 84 n/a 5-speed
Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Here is another pic of my 83 944. You can see the trees up at the top. For years my car has had intermittent problems with starting. Finding the loose spade on the DME relay has made my car happy again! I will clean and tghten all these connections hopefully for the last time. Thanks all for your input and support. Cheers!

Dean Felton
83 944
Black
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with this picture