Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO screw ups that have caused you great amounts of pain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006 | 05:17 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Default PO screw ups that have caused you great amounts of pain...

I am in the process of going through my exhaust. Putting in a gutted cat section and a newer wastegate. While I have the back section out (tip was rusted through so it is off at a muffler place,) I decided to install the short shifter that has been sitting collecting dust for some time. With the back section of the exhaust out this is a much easier task. I get in there only to discover that the bolt head is SNAPPED off... So I get out the drill and easy outs and drill a hole in the bolt. thread the easy out in and spray everything down with deep creep. I spend another 20 or so minutes at the front threading screws and bolts back into the wastegate and the wastegate dump pipe. I slide back and give the easy out a nice gentle tug and it starts to move... then it snaps off in the hole.... then it starts to rain...

You all get the picture.

So what things have a PO done to your car that has caused you hate and discontent?

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 03-20-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2006 | 05:47 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPSC
So what things have a PO done to your car that has caused you hate and discontent?
Installed APE chips.....not much else. I did most of the F'ning up on this car.
Old 03-20-2006 | 05:49 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Don't even get me started...
He cut the hose to the wastegate for one.
That cost me a lot in engine work.

Missing bolts EVERYWHERE. Many pieces have broken or fallen off as a result.
You get the picture....
Old 03-20-2006 | 05:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Gave his kid a BB gun, and proceeded to **** him off...

Car has BB dings in 3 or 4 places on the door...
Old 03-20-2006 | 06:30 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Midas cat that had a cold rattle after about 10 years. Kind of embarassing to hear the engine hit its sweet spot at 3k in first as you take off, then hear clank-clank-clank. That's gone, thankfully.

They also put a piece of plastic honeycomb over the intake snorkel. Apparently squirrels found their way in there. The paint was pink from sitting outside. They were going to repaint it, rather than take a weekend and compound it back to red for an investment of $10 + time.

They never retensioned the t-belt after 2,000 miles, and the car had about 13 on the belt- I was REALLY lucky I made it through a summer before retensioning. It was bad enough that it jumped
timing when we went to retension it.

I don't believe I have a true OEM front spoiler - when it had a dead battery, it ripped when trying to tow the car. I have the paperwork for that.
Old 03-20-2006 | 06:36 PM
daniel951
Race Car

U don't want to get me started but i will. Come to find out i find tons of welds on teh side of the block like the motor came from a wrecked car. Ended up find out my motor has NA pistons in it then recently finding out that i have a NA head on the car. Another thing is when i first bought the car the PO installed the fuel controller power to my radio so when the radio blew a fuse my whole car turned off and it took me a while after pushing to figure out what he did. PO also painted to the top of my expansion tank black so u can't see the level of the coolant. I am just going to stop before i get even more mad. I have dumped tons of money into my dam car fixing different mistakes and i finally gave up
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

-Ive had two or three POs for my car. One of them loved holding the clutch in at lights. Result? Blown thrust bearing and over 1MM of axial play on the crankshaft. Original crankshaft is garbage now. I think im going to find an old flywheel to bolt it to, and make a wicked floor lamp. I got the car like that, and put 20k miles on it with that buggered up setup. No problems stemming from that, amazingly enough! And I know I didnt do it, im **** about not holding the clutch down.
-The bolt was sheered off on my shift rod too. Yuck. Could have been the shop that did the clutch though.
-There was a whooper of a rodents/birds nest in front of the blower intake. I guess he parked it outside for a while once Still blew air pretty damn well though.
-The front brake calipers are some sort of rebuilds. No PORSCHE on them or anything.
-He bought Zexius tires from Les Scwhab. From what ive heard, Les Scwab market these as identical to Ziex tires.... Except without the quality and such to go with it. I wont be buying from Les Scwab.

Other than those, there really arent things that could be attributed to the POs. I think the crank is the thing that could really be 100% pinned on them. Overall, they were pretty good. I got lots of records with the car, including some big ticket items like several oil pan gaskets, new steering rack in 2000, etc. All in all my car was in pretty decent shape for a 196k mile 944 Turbo when I got it No Mc****s wrappers under the seats, etc.
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:24 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

How does holding in the clutch cause that kind of damage?
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:38 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzy
How does holding in the clutch cause that kind of damage?
Pulls on the pressure plate which is bolted to the crank. This pulls the crank towards the rear against the thrust bearing, which is oiled only by splash and cast off from that main bearing. Hold down the clutch long enough and it burns off/squeezes out all the oil, and then its metal on metal.
Old 03-20-2006 | 07:46 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

The clutch disc was installed backwards. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Punched out the cat, and didn't tell me. Found that out at the testing station. Thanks a lot bud.

Wrong/missing gaskets on the wastegate.

Cigarette butts, old fries, and some tasteless CD's under the seats.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:44 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

mine was in an accident, apparently. PO neglected to mention that.
Old 03-20-2006 | 08:48 PM
Zeff
Pro

sorry to hear about all these stories. Mine has tires from 1993 on it.
Old 03-20-2006 | 09:12 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

tons of acorns fell out of bottom intake tube... must have been sitting and sitting and sitting and... damn squirrels
Old 03-20-2006 | 11:35 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

ouch, that sucks guys. I guess im lucky, had two PO, i know the second, both kept all reciepts and had work done by porsche mechanics, no surprises. The PO that i know though did use a radar dectrctor that stuck on to the dash, left a nice residue mark that wont come off, really the only blemish in the interior.
Old 03-21-2006 | 12:12 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I did most of the F'ning up on this car.
Same here. Next owner is going to whine about why I took all the convenience crap out of the car, like power windows and that retarded lift motor for the roof. F 'em.

Quick Reply: PO screw ups that have caused you great amounts of pain...