Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front springs: H&R Progressive -vs- Hyperco Linear ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:31 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Front springs: H&R Progressive -vs- Hyperco Linear ?

I'm finally getting around to doing a suspension refresh on my S2.

* This is primarily a street car, with 3 or 4 DE events per year.
* Once installed, I'm not going to be fiddling with settings or such stuff. This means adjustability is nice, but not essential
* I'll be having the parts professionaly installed as I don't have the time to do it myself.
* Not having to re-index the torsion bars is highly preferred (for reasons of cost)
* I run 993 rims (7x17 and 9x17)

Given those requirements and limitations, I've settled on Koni sports, M030 sway bars, larger castor blocks (for 17" wheels), KLA strut mounts / strut brace / rear sway bar drop links / front sway bar brace - the "usual" stuff.

Total cost shouldn't exceed $2,500 ($1,500 in parts, $1,000 for installation and a custom alignment)

The one thing I've difficulty deciding on is the front springs. I've narrowed the choice down to:

(1) H&R progressive springs (190-230 lb/in), and they drop the front by roughly 1-inch
(2) Hyperco linear springs (250 lb/in) as part of the ride height adjustable kit sold by Paragon Products.

A couple of questions...

* If anyone has any experience or thoughts regarding handling with either spring option, please jump in.

* Has anyone ever had a problem leveling the rear of a S2 or 968 after installing those H&R progressive springs ? There should be enough adjustability in the rear, but you never know...

* I don't think a 250# front linear spring with the stock rear torsion bars will cause excessive understeer (especially with the adjustable sway bar to help counter balance it). But does anyone disagree?

TIA

Karl.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:40 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok here we go....

my car has paragon- hypercoils 200lb in the front, i love the ride height adjustablilty, great for tuning alittle more weight towards front/ back. Handles great and 200 or 250 works well w/ stock rear if you drop the accentrics abit.

my gf's 924s has h&r- aka- weltmeister 200lb front progressive springs. They lower the height 1.5" i believe and handle every bit as good as the hypercoils. Driving both i really could not tell a big difference, both have turbo bars 25.5 front/ 18 rears and mine has koni's while hers has oe whatevers. I like the welts but w/ my car i want the adjustablity and lower ride height so i went with them. For the price, and if you'd ever want to drop/ adjust your car you cant go wrong w/ the hypercoils but for a couple hundred less the welts are just as great.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Thanks Dan. Your feedback was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...

Karl.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:47 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
* I don't think a 250# front linear spring with the stock rear torsion bars will cause excessive understeer (especially with the adjustable sway bar to help counter balance it). But does anyone disagree?.
I had the 250# hypercoils in front with a stock 25.5 rear torsion bar, weltmeister rear sway bar AND removed the front sway bar in my 968 and the balance was good, but did have a bit of understeer. The sway bar adjusted to the softest setting and stiffening it probably would have gotten rid of the understeer.

With the setup you propose, it will understeer like a pig at the limit of adhesion on the track.

BTW, I upgraded my rates and I need to sell my 250# hypercoils. Let me know if you are interested in them.

chris
Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

250# springs with no other adjustments will cause understeer, how mild is for the user to determine, I didnt like it.

Quick Reply: Front springs: H&R Progressive -vs- Hyperco Linear ?