Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Post 2.5L Turbo engine in S2

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question X-Post 2.5L Turbo engine in S2

Just as the title states my 1988 Turbo has been wrecked and I have acquired a perfect 1991 S2 minus engine. I'm planning on installing the turbo engine into the S2.
Has anyone ever attempted this before? I need as much advice as you guys can dish out. What needs to be switched over? Obviously the DME, KLR, engine, engine wiring harness, and gauge cluster (if I want the boost gauge) but what else?

After the engine goes in I don't want to find out that I missed something that would have been much easier to switch over before the engine was installed.

The engine has been pulled from the turbo and is in the process of being rebuilt. I want to have the S2 as prepared to receive the engine as possible before it goes in.

I would like to have this thing back on the road and all the bugs worked out of it so that I can drive it to Hershey. So if you have any advice, comments, things to watch out for, or just some smart a$$ thoughts, all will be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

S2 gears are shorter than the Turbo I believe. Can you salvage the gearbox too?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue S2 is right but that will just make you accelerate faster right? 5th gear will likely annoy you at its shortness though, so you might want that turbo tranny.

that 951 looked like a beauty, sorry that it was wrecked.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

The PO of the S2 was going to do a V8 swap so he sold the S2 tranny and purchased a turbo tranny so now I have two of them.

The sadest thing about the turbo being wrecked is that it's not that bad, driver's side fender and the driver's quarter was all that was damaged. Welding in the quarter is just plain expensive. The two estimates on fixing it were $6,500 and $11,900. If someone needs a shell to build a race car out of I think it might be a good candidate for a widebody. Insurance screwed me, saying that they never recieved the pictures I sent them so it didn't have full coverage on it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2006, 02:34 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am sure the quarter panel could be replaced for much less than that. Too bad you are parting it. I am sure someone would be willing to buy it whole.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

IMHO parting that car is completely unnecessary...
Is there any susp. damage??
Old 03-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

The toe in on the from was readjusted by the accident but, no other suspension damage to my knowledge, that is just by looking underneath for anything that "looked bent". It has not been on a frame rack but, even if it was fixed correctly, it is still a fixed car. The car was driven about a mile or two after the accident but, since the toe in was "realigned" from the accident it was not driven at speed.
The S2 came from a friend who was looking to get rid of it anyway, it has never been driven since it was painted it has an almost perfect dash, and the rest of the interior is a 9.5/10. I think I'll have a nicer car at the end of it all versus fixing the turbo.
And by the way if anyone is interested in the turbo after I'm done using what I need off of it by all means ask me about it, the interior is complete and is pretty nice it's probably 7 or 8 out of 10. The dash is cracked but, it still looks pretty good and the driver's seat is starting to come apart at the seams.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

What a waste!! get another bodyshop opinion!! There is no way in hell there is 6k in damage there. I should know I used to work in a exotic bodyshop some years back doing custom work. Mind you I was just the peon. but still that looks like about 2k in damage to me at the most.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

The swap is already in progress, if the motor is going back in a car it's the S2. I'm going to really miss the gold car but, there is not much I can do at this point.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you will have several times more trouble doing the conversion than fixing what you have. The instrument cluster, engine wiring, computers, transmission, intercooler, plumbing, radiator, and just about everything under the hood including the entire exhaust system is different. It will take so much work I don't think most people who start this project will ever finish it and get it running properly. I believe you need to cut a section of the radiator bottom support to put in the turbo radiator along with different motor bracket above the driver motor mount.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:23 AM
sayporsha
Pro

I think you will have several times more trouble doing the conversion than fixing what you have. The instrument cluster, engine wiring, computers, transmission, intercooler, plumbing, radiator, and just about everything under the hood including the entire exhaust system is different. It will take so much work I don't think most people who start this project will ever finish it and get it running properly. I believe you need to cut a section of the radiator bottom support to put in the turbo radiator along with different motor bracket above the driver motor mount.
Let's not forget he has a COMPLETE donor car to work from. I'd be willing to bet most failed conversions are from guys who have to scrounge up all the bits that make a 951 a 951. Besides, it sounds like a done deal, so let's encourage him, not discourage him.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just another opinion, worth exactly what you've paid for it, but I agree that there is no way that's $6,500 in damage if the damage is limited to the left rear and minor bend on the fender as pictured.

You are correct that your turbo would be a "fixed" car, but your new S2/Turbo would be a "made up" car. Similar difficulties for resale, I think. Besides, these cars are pretty much fully depreciated, the resale is mostly a factor of condition. We're talking about cars in the $10K range. If the turbo were repaired nicely, it probably won't hurt any more than having a "made-up" car.

I've had good luck with a very good local shop telling them I'll pay CASH and they can fix on their schedule. Cost on a couple race car fixes have been 25-35% of "insurance rate" fixes. The shops in the midwest are pretty much done with their busy (snow/ice) season and you may find someone willing to work with you.

What could you sell the S2 tub and tranny for? I suspect somewhere pretty close to the cost of repairing your turbo. I'd sell the S2, take the money to fix the Turbo nicely and avoid the hassle and unknowns of the conversion.

Joe
Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well whatever you decide to do kyle, im off allllllll next week, so give me a call.

Quick Reply: X-Post 2.5L Turbo engine in S2