Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CV Joint... and WTB: CV Crescent Washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with CV Joint... and WTB: CV Crescent Washer

OK, I repacked one side of CV's, and it all seems to flex as it should on the bench, i can articulate it in all directions easily. I know it locks if you put the races the opposite way from when i accidentally did that a long time ago, so it's not doing that. It feels like it's working right....

I'm putting it back in the car, (passenger side) and it seems to be working smoothly, until you get any of the bolts finger tight on the wheel side. as soon as you go to snug, the wheel wont move at all. if you undo it about half a turn, teh wheel will go about a quarter to a half turn and then stop. (this is with all bolts in to a few turns from finger tight, not just tightening one bolt alone). I've taken the whole assembly out TWICE , even tried turning it around, and no matter waht i do it does the same thing . I'm completely frustrated i've spent all afternoon on this. I even thought it might be binding because the wheel is hanging on teh suspension (jacked the car up) but I tried jacking the control arm up , then tightening teh bolts, and its still doing it!

Could it be just tight because it's freshly packed, or some other reason? I don't think it should be doing this and don't know what to do. I'm not 100 percent sure that I put the pair of races on the same direction tehy came off, but I believe all that matters is that the races are oriented correctly to each other so that it articulates right, which it does.

someone help!

Also, i didn't rebuidl my other CV yet because I have it apart and someone did not put the crescent washer in last time they rebuilt them (aftermarket boots so someone did this before). The washer has teh teeth in it to slide over the shaft, so i'm figureing I can't get this at the hardware store. Can i get it from a dealer or do i have to search around and find osmeone with a bad CV to give me one.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why it's binding, but I got you covered on the washers. Send me PM with your address. There are two kinds of washers in there, I forget which is which.... which kind do you need and how many?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:47 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience the actual CV joint although it will assemble a few ways, will only go together correctly one way...... in other words the CV joint inside is not correctly oriented with the CV joint outer housing.
remove ***** and closely study machined inner and outer.
reasemble and bench test. Here is the catch, when you bench test be sure the joint is colapsed as it will be when installed in car. If you have it partially extended it will seem to function correctly when in fact it is not.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree the CV should not bind when mounted. In fact, the added weight of the wheel should make it spin more easily if anything.

I'll second 2bridges in that you may have assembled it wrong. The washers can also go on wrong. They have a concave side and a convex side, and depending how you fit them, the CV will not fit the axle shaft properly. BTDT.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

i will take it apart again and check it I guess since there is really nothing else I can do... It seems weird that even reversing it, has the same effect. That would seem to say that whatever i ddi wrong, i did wrong to both sides? But if i tighten the transmission side it's fine, its just the wheel sidethat seems to have the problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

And I'm pretty sure I have the washer correctly, it cups towards teh bearing, rather then down towards teh boot
Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
cambria
Racer

The problem is not the washers, the problem is that it is not put togeather properly. As I recall, you need to align the groves so they match one another.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

no, you align the grooves so they are opposite each other. Here is a picture of a CV joint from the internet. Notice my red mark is a wide separation, and blue is a short separation, the two opposites are facing each other. THat's what gives the CV the ability to swivel, as it tilts, the grooves will follow each other.

If you align them so they match, then it locks the CV. Believe me I've tried.

Also, it doesn't seem it should matter which way you slide the unit in the picture onto the shaft, correct? Both sides are symmetrical from what I can tell.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Devon, check your PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

This is the washer I need. Anyone know where I can find one?
Attached Images    
Old 03-14-2006, 12:43 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Oh, that washer.... that's not crescent-shaped!

I've also got an old rear axle in the garage. I'll see if I can get at it later this evening (will I need any special tools?)
Old 03-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Well, theres a snap ring around the top, which i was able to get off with a flat head screwdriver... besides that and tapping the shaft out of the CV joint, it shoudl just slide off...

Sorrya bout the crescent thing, that's waht clarks-garage called it. I think they were saying crescent because its kind of concaved.

BTW , thanks a ton for taking the time joe i appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:26 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Flat head screwdriver -- got it.... I've been going at it with a snap ring plier, but there aren't any friggin' holes for plier to catch....

Update: Well, I've got the darn circlip off, but how do I get the CV joint off the shaft? Do I keep banging at the shaft with a punch/hammer? It ain't doing any sliding....

Last edited by josephsc; 03-14-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 AM
dfb
Track Day

Joe, to get the cv off use a punch on the back side of the inner race and make sure you don't hit the shaft. It can be a real pita to get off but just take your time and move your strike zone around the shaft. You need to have it in a vise to hold it
Old 03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

mine came off pretty easy. you can either hold the races and hit the shaft with a punch, or turn it upside down and hit the back of the inside race.

I feel bad for making you go through all this now.. I guess I"m spreading my CV pain in the *** job around the country...

Quick Reply: Help with CV Joint... and WTB: CV Crescent Washer