Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling Capabilities of 944 vs. Modern Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 PM
robbin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

z-man do you guys allow anything but porsches at your DE's?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
the 944 is the most value for the dollar, some would say undervalued, and I'd agree.
so i'm late to this thread.....

i agree it's undervalued in performance potential, but not in real dollars. the cost of maintenance and repairs for these old cars makes it nearly cost-ineffective.

we also need to define "better handling." what is it?
high lateral G-load?
excellent steering feedback?
predictability at the limit?
50/50 weight distribution?

the 944 does have great driver feedback and responds well to input, and is predictable and controllable at the limit. but there are so many other cars out there that will perform as well without the limitations of frequent, expensive repairs.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
944J
Banned

I don't know about the repairs. I do all my repairs on my 944, but everyone I know with newer cars (mercedes, vw, camaro) all pay thousands of dollars on repairs if not under warranty, on top of high monthly payments.

I paid $550 for my 944 and pay about $250/year in insurance.

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
so i'm late to this thread.....

i agree it's undervalued in performance potential, but not in real dollars. the cost of maintenance and repairs for these old cars makes it nearly cost-ineffective.

we also need to define "better handling." what is it?
high lateral G-load?
excellent steering feedback?
predictability at the limit?
50/50 weight distribution?

the 944 does have great driver feedback and responds well to input, and is predictable and controllable at the limit. but there are so many other cars out there that will perform as well without the limitations of frequent, expensive repairs.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
. . . . the limitations of frequent, expensive repairs.
just my 2 cents
I don't agree with this statement. When I got mine, sure there were a few things wrong with it. I fixed them, and it's been solid ever since. Reliable, starts every time, and dependable.

I think that the difference is either a well cared for car, or a not well cared for car. One that's not well cared for will cost you a larger number of more expensive repairs, while a well cared for won't. I just hope that even a not wel cared for car can be made into a well cared for car, once sufficient repairs have been aplied. But the jury is still out on that one I guess.

What I will agree with you on is that there are a number of other cars that have the same qualities as a 944, and these car are newer and have the potential to be in generally better condition.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
944J
Banned

It also depends on what kind of car you want. Mine is a project and has been very reliable since I got it in 1999. Some people may want a perfect car like a new car and dont want to do any repairs themselves so you will end up spending A LOT on repairs that way since its about 1-2$ (or more) per minute for the guy to work on your car. (edit: but this goes for any car)

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
I don't agree with this statement. When I got mine, sure there were a few things wrong with it. I fixed them, and it's been solid ever since. Reliable, starts every time, and dependable.

I think that the difference is either a well cared for car, or a not well cared for car. One that's not well cared for will cost you a larger number of more expensive repairs, while a well cared for won't. I just hope that even a not wel cared for car can be made into a well cared for car, once sufficient repairs have been aplied. But the jury is still out on that one I guess.

What I will agree with you on is that there are a number of other cars that have the same qualities as a 944, and these car are newer and have the potential to be in generally better condition.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll buy that as well. I like working on my car, 'cause it's a trip down memory lane when I was in high school working on my VW bug, or in college working on my Sirocco. Just another way for me to get fun out of my P-car. :-)
Old 04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 88 turbo S was 48,500 new... I feel for the guy who took the depreciation hit on this car...

Quick Reply: Handling Capabilities of 944 vs. Modern Cars?