Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice on engine bay color/detailing/painting/polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any advice on engine bay color/detailing/painting/polishing?

Hi all,

I have my first round of mods done including test pipe, gauges, Vitess chip, MBC, and 3 bar FPR. Now I know what "more driveable" is- much better all around (thanks again for help from Jeremy H. ) The car is very solid with no mechanical problems- I'm going to get a Profec B and shim the wastegate if necessary at that point, then performance mods will be done for a while.

I either hear or imagine a slight knock once in a while, so I'm going to take out the injectors and have them cleaned. While they're out, I'm thinking I may just take off all of the brackets, hose clamps, fasteners, etc. that I can get to, and have them re-plated. The new FPR puts the rest of the Zinc parts to shame, and I want to stop the corrosion problem before it's too late.

Since I'm racking up miles way faster than I want to, I'm considering replacing all of the hoses and rubber parts that are practical at the same time. I plan on replacing the fuel lines also. It could use a few weeks of down-time.

So, here are a few questions:

1) Is there a good kit on the market for stock replacement of all or most rubber hoses and other in the engine compartment? I saw one on ebay a couple of times, but not sure if it's any good.

2) Was the heat shield between the intake and the brake fluid reservoir originally Zinc plated or just galvanized (like it looks now?)

3) This is what the subject is about. What colors can I work in that would look good in a Grey engine compartment? I have seen some amazing looking engines in bright colored cars, but mine just looks dull, and it's clean.

I like the look of colored plug wires, vac lines, etc., and painted/polished intakes, hard pipes, etc. I'm just not sure what I want to do. With only 29,000 miles, I don't want to do anything too radical at this point.

Any pictures or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

clean is nice, i would just detail it and shine it up abit. SOme people like blue.
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are getting any detonation turn down the boost. Get it on a dyno and make sure your a/fs are correct before you blow your headgasket. Please do this before you need major repairs.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Nice pics, thanks Dan. I forgot to attach mine, here it is.

I also appreciate the warning about detonation. Sometimes I think I hear a little "putt" also I've heard detonation on plenty of cars, always very distinct; I'm probably just being paranoid. It's more like a single "tick" that could be a rock hitting underneath. The boost is usually well below 15 psi. When I got the car it had Autothority Stage 1 chips. I left the Autothority KLR chip in and replaced the DME with the Vitesse chip. Right now I am using the stock cycling valve with a Lindsey Boost Enhancer. Sometimes the boost spikes up for a second or two to 17 at the most, but trails off quickly. I assume that's because of the Autothority KLR chip? I'll be putting in a Profec B soon and will dyno it after that. Is there anything wrong with the way it is for now?
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine...

I like black. Can you tell?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:41 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

now that we are showing pictures here is mine...did it all myself, even made myself a strut brace.
Attached Images    
Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Here is the bay on 951 #2, the built one (951 #1) is getting played with till something blows up and I feel like taking the whole engine out.

Just high temp paint and some sand paper.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, Who's supercharged NA is that?
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
s928s
Pro

Hers is mine with black cam, head, black and related parts. All stainlees steel allen head hardwearwith a polished intake
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2006, 09:48 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

The detonation that you describe is exactly how it sounds. Get it to a dyno before running it hard. There is no telling what your a/f s are until then. Good luck and I don't mean to scare you but don't want to see anyone blow their headgasket.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think its from an old SC website, speedforce or one of those.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Kevin- FWIW, my suggestion on your car would be something like:

- Blue silicone connectors on the boost pipe to IC connections
- Blue silicone connectors on the boost pipe to throttle body.
- Red or maybe yellow spark plug wires
- Blue vacuum line kit from Lindsey Racing
- Blue fuel lines from Rennbay (probably time to do them anyway).
- Red or blue fuel injector electrical harness from Lindsey Racing, depending on the condition of your current harness.
- Paint the 'turbo' script on the air filter cover silver
- Clean, clean, clean!

Just my thoughts, do with them what you like

Here's mine:

Old 02-22-2006, 03:56 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Nice work guys, thanks for the pictures and suggestions . Maybe polished intake & pipes, paint the cam tower & polish the letters, yellow plug wires, blue vac lines and the rest black except for the Zinc plated stuff would look good. Hmm...

Black944, I do appreciate your concern. I think I'll replace the fuel filter, vac lines, and intake rubber along with cleaning the injectors before I drive it any more. If it is running lean, what else could cause it?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Afm could be out of adjustment. I am sorry if I am scaring you, you have a very nice car and would hate to see anyone have to dump more money into something for no reason. Btw, I think peoples suggestions are very good with what you want to do. One small thing you can do to brighten up the engine bay is polish the PORSCHE on the cam tower it looks great. I did that on mine and realy liked it. Again I am sorry and did not mean to ruin your thread.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

You didn't ruin it, I need all the help I can get! I didn't know the AFM was adjustable.

Quick Reply: Any advice on engine bay color/detailing/painting/polishing?