Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 17" wheels/race tires for 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts
Default WTB: 17" wheels/race tires for 951

Looking for a set of wheels with race rubber for this coming season.

Would prefer a full set of 17x9's, but am open to others.

Preferences in tires are:
Toyo RA1
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Kumho Victoracers

Tires must have even wear and lots of meat left!

Have cash, ready to buy...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey you remember RICH the guy you bought the black wheels from? My old wheels. HE has a set of turbo twists- same wheels only silver- w/ hoosiers on them. I just bought some boxsterS wheels from him. Give him a call or look up his for sale add on the ovr website www.pca.org/ovr in the classifieds
Old 02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

17s probably wouldn't be the best choice for racing. . .
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
17s probably wouldn't be the best choice for racing. . .
Really? Can you elaborate from your extensive racing experience? I'd love to hear your reasons. Please enlighten me.

Remember, he is talking about a 951 and being on the big track, not an N/A at the autocross.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Light weight wheels are ideal in any situation, but on a big track where there is much more momentum and less sharp turns and complex maneuvers. You may be surprised how the shorter sidewall benefits over the additional weight. Now my 17's sucked in autox, we'll see how we do this season w/ 17" victoracers.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I said "probably", dumbass.

If you have something of value to contribute to the discussion, please do so. Otherwise STFU and stop making yourself look like even a bigger *** than you've done recently. It's sad. Really. Go take a Thorazine shot. Preferably in the ***. It sounds like you need one. Or two.

I'm merely suggesting that he consider overall wheel size for the application. I'm wondering why he's decided on 17s. I've always been led to believe that larger wheels are not necessarily the best choice due to higher moment of inertia of the rotating mass. He may have a good reason for choosing 17s and if so, I'd be interested in hearing it and in perhaps learning something.

Of course, you don't care about this because you know it all already, doncha? You're truly a "legend in your own mind". If you contributed as much to this place as you think you do, this really would be a better forum.

Deek.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I said "probably", dumbass.

If you have something of value to contribute to the discussion, please do so. Otherwise STFU and stop making yourself look like even a bigger *** than you've done recently. It's sad. Really. Go take a Thorazine shot. Preferably in the ***. It sounds like you need one. Or two.

I'm merely suggesting that he consider overall wheel size for the application. I'm wondering why he's decided on 17s. I've always been led to believe that larger wheels are not necessarily the best choice due to higher moment of inertia of the rotating mass. He may have a good reason for choosing 17s and if so, I'd be interested in hearing it and in perhaps learning something.

Of course, you don't care about this because you know it all already, doncha? You're truly a "legend in your own mind". If you contributed as much to this place as you think you do, this really would be a better forum.

Deek.
Whoa there.

The guy posted a WTB for some 17" race wheels for his highly modded 951, and you post a one-liner telling him that what he needs probably wouldn't be best. All I did was ask for an elaboration of that statement. If that gets you uptight, I think you need to take a step back and relax.

That statement above was totally uncalled for.

I'm not even going to address that comment in regards to what I "contribute", because that is just silly.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hey Dan, thanks for the informative response. I've often wondered about this also in reference to auto-x. . . Most people there tend to favor the smaller 15" wheels with the corresponding tradeoff in sidewall height and flex. I'd think for auto-x, with a great deal of sideload being place on the tires/wheels any effort to reduce sidewall height (larger wheel) might actually be beneficial, but again you get into to this tradeoff between larger moment of inertia and reduced sidewall flex. In auto-x, with so much "speed-up/slow-down" going on, the benefits of a smaller wheel with lower inertia to overcome is understandable ('cause you have to constantly accelerate/decelerate it). However, as I mentioned, the benefits of smaller/more rigid sidewall is also kind of obvious. The same analysis could be made for racing.

So I wonder what kind of quantitative analysis (if any) is available to compare the benefits/penalties of these two factors.

As a point of interest, real "race cars" like champ, F1, etc. all run very small wheels. . .
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docwyte
Looking for a set of wheels with race rubber for this coming season.

Would prefer a full set of 17x9's, but am open to others.

Preferences in tires are:
Toyo RA1
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Kumho Victoracers

Tires must have even wear and lots of meat left!

Have cash, ready to buy...
No fair, I've been asking for the same thing since December without any leads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...50#post2667050

So normally I'd say "me too" but in this case I say "me first"!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Well, first of all I can't run 15's over my brakes. I could run 16's, but the tire choices are far better out there for 17's, plus with the shorter sidewall the transitional response is much better. I'm not going to auto-x this car, even if I were, I'd still want 17's. I have more than enough power than a little unsprung weight isn't going to be an issue, and choosing a decent set of 17's won't weigh more than a set of 16's.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Fair enough I guess. . . I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd love to know if there's any formula that would give one a true quantitative comparison of the benefits of larger wheels & corresponding sidewall flex reduction and smaller wheels & corresponding reduced rotating mass & inertia. . .

I suppose the easiest way would be to run several laps on each and compare, but variables like driver treatment of one lap versus another, rates of heating of tires, track conditions, etc. might offset any good data and introduce unacceptable sources of error. . .

I think you're right about the 17"s having more tire options now also. . . That's a good point.

Then again, I suppose I'd rather thrash a cheaper 15" set of tires than costly 17s and rather risk cracking a 15" rim than a 17" one, but ultimately racing is all about who has the deepest wallet, isn't it?
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, in my case, you can't fit (most) 16"ers over Big Reds! I think Danno mentioned somewhere before about some 16s that would fit, but I haven't found the details.

And we can't forget the bling factor. The factory 17s come in some very blingy styles. 16s in general are pretty dated. Track car/wheels or not, I prefer to have things look good if its not much of a tradeoff.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

POP is right about one thing but he is going the wrong direction. The only reason 17s arent a good choice is there is a MUCH better selection of tires and wheels in 18".

FWIW, I have a set of Boxster S rears, I might be willing to part with. I have been looking for another set for ages.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:48 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Well, first of all I can't run 15's over my brakes. I could run 16's, but the tire choices are far better out there for 17's, plus with the shorter sidewall the transitional response is much better. I'm not going to auto-x this car, even if I were, I'd still want 17's. I have more than enough power than a little unsprung weight isn't going to be an issue, and choosing a decent set of 17's won't weigh more than a set of 16's.
let me know when u go to a tracking event. I only been to once and never to a auto x and that is watching too
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

im not really sure that 17's are that much more expensive than 15''ers anymore, i think if its not 18" up then your looking cheaper these days. I mean, i run 17's and im just a poor boy w/ a porsh. There are 16's that fit over big reds, cuz my turboS wheels are 16". Now if your looking at forgelines or something then yes, 17's are quite expesive comparatively.

Quick Reply: WTB: 17" wheels/race tires for 951