Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body work is the devil in disguise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:33 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure what you need to adjust but you may be able to "shim" the nose between the core support and the nose panel. Also see if adjusting the hood bolts on the ds make it sit any lower on the front. Two years after painting my car i finally got the headlight to line up correctly, plenty of adjustment on those, just have to know which one!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:57 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

" I can easily push down on that corner of the hood before it touches the rubber piece."

Then shim the other side up to bring the high side down, or adjust the hood latch down, or a combination of these. There are way too many adjustments, I know, but it is possible to get it looking good again!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan that is an excellent idea, did not think to do that. A couple of flat washers would probably work pretty well. Ill defenetley look into that tomorrow. I did also take some rough measurements, the radiator support defenetley needs to come a little bit farther foward on the drivers side. I would estimate less than 1/4 of an inch. That should solve my gap problem with the header panel.

Mark, the drivers side sits very tight against the rubber piece. The last time i was at my fathers place Steve (the guy who helped me straighten everything out in the first place) adjusted the hood latch pin a little bit. Any lower than where its at now and the hood wont shut. Im going to fiddle with it tomorrow at the shop again and see what i can do. Having looked at my car a bit tonight with it parked in a well lit parking lot. Its really not that bad anymore. But really still noticable and enough to **** me off... . I figure once i get the other 931 nose on i will hardly notice it, most of my attention will be diverted to those vents

Also checked the hood hinges, both look straight to me.

Thank you all for the suggestions and the encouragement to keep going. Ill keep working at it tomorrow. Based on what everyone else is saying, in 1-2 years ill have everything straight again! 2008 here i come!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Made some progress today. Used a few flat machine washers to shim the header panel up. And it sits perfect with the hood now. Also adjusted the headlight bucket back and up so that it lines up a bit better. The only problem im still having is the hood's height on the passenger side.

Below is a picture of how bad it is. The picture makes it look a little worse than it is based on the angle i took it at.

I would estimate its about 1/4 of an inch to high. The drivers side is perfect.

Its no longer a 5-foot car, its more of a 3.5 feet car.

Next weekend im going to try adjusting the drivers side hinge a little to see if that has any effect on the passenger sides height. I doubt it will though. I will probably take it to a professional this summer and have it fixed completley when im home from school. And yes i know, take those horrid stone guards off. I will sometime in the next few weeks.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like the drivers side is low, pass side is high. I'm pretty sure you've got the hood tweaked on the hinges. Are you having someone help you hold the hood while you align it or are you going back and forth on each hinge by yourself? If you are doing it yourself chances are you've flexed the hood and then locked down the hinges to it, thus the tweaked front angle.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Perry, i was going back and fourth myself, basically doing one side at a time.

I will try it again tomorrow with a friend helping me. Can you give me an idea as to how to properly allign the hood? Loosen the hood on both hinges, then start playing around with it...? Ill give it another go tomorrow in my free time. Any pointers are appreciated.

I also shimmed the side of the hood up using a rubber stopper for cabinets (its adhesive on one side). Put it ontop of the rubber piece and it evened out the hood a little more. I could put another one of these rubber things on and the passenger side evens out perfectly..but it causes the drivers side to sit high in that case. Not exactly the best solution to the problem, dont intend on relying on it for long.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

The easiest way (with a partner and the hinges tight but loose enough to get them to slide) is to get the back corners set where you want them, in relation to the fenders, and then set the hood on the latch to set the side gap. Carefully push and pull the hood into place. Slowly and carefully open it enough to tighten the bolts and then close it all the way to check again. Front height can then be adjusted with the latch.

This should keep the hinges from binding and allow it to sit flat.

Quick Reply: Body work is the devil in disguise!