Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning 944Fest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

As fun as track time sounds to me, I doubt I'd get out and run the car. Since I'd be about 700 miles from home, the tow bill would be rather expensive if I bust it up. I've got no problem tossing in a fifty to watch or ride, and camping out only adds to the fun.

Dan - I'm thankful I was able to participate in the early years. Your gratitude will always be remembered.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Dan - I'm thankful I was able to participate in the early years. Your gratitude will always be remembered.
Amen brother.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:37 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where do we start signing up?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
formerGMguy
Racer

A question about the track, for the $3000, do they provide corner workers? And is gasoline going to be available on site?

If this is only going to cost $75-100 I'd say you'll have no problem getting 40 people to show up. I'm attending another even in April at Gingerman raceway on the southwest side of MI thats being sponsored by a VW group and its $125 for a single day at the track.

Sounds like a good time, hopefully we can make this happen.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:08 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There is a lot more to a track day IMO than what some are thinking. Insurance, corner workers as well as another 1/2 dozen things which would need to be answered. I would love to make it this year even though I am no longer in a 944.

I'l try to help out however I can as I plan on attending if others are willing to have an eight banger there.

Dan, let's figure out who is going to be the keeper of the funds and try to move forward from there. Maybe have a vote? Maybe a volunteer? Dan were you given a deadline as to when the track time needed to be paid for? I'll make my contribution, not because of track time but just to show as soon as we have some of the details figured out.

Still have my green 944 matchbox too as a possible award

Michael
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Dan, maybe you should have every attendee paypal you 20 bucks each so that its a bit more worth your while to spend 100's of hours planning other peoples fun.
Eyal, this is like the 2nd great idea you've had in the last couple of months! Are you on something?

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
There is only one flush toilet in the whole compound IIRC.
That could be a problem... Chris, Scott (aka Team Harco), Travis, Sam = a lot of sh*t or should I say bullsh*t talk

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco

Smaller can be better.
TMI

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
^ ^ ^ ^ ------------ Debbie Downer of 944Fest 2006.

Just kiddin Cory.
Yeah, but isn't she a hottie though!!!

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Cory washing his car and apologizing for losing his wife's favorite bucket...
My memory is poor and that was a few years back, what ever happened to the bucket in the end???

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Closest decent hotel is probably 25-30 minutes away in Solon - Hmapton Inn, etc.
Thanks Skip! That's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by formerGMguy
do they provide corner workers?
Corner workers - no problem! I hear he likes big tips though
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the morning chuckle Cory!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Talking

Lots of good points coming up. Yes, there are a dozen other issues involved that will get tackled once we decide if it is feasable. Winslow's thread is the feeler, seeing how much interest there is.

At this point, I'd only hope for 20 OR LESS cars. The campers will contribute to help fill in the funds. The less cars we have, the more lax we can be with organization, run groups, classroom, etc. The more advanced the drivers are, the less need for constant supervision. Small turnouts lend toward open lapping vs. the typical driver's school segmented run groups.

Gas will NOT be available at the track, but there are pumps about 5 miles up the road, IIRC. Come with a full tank, if you run constantly you can fill up at lunch.

Perry, Thanks, it would be great to see you again.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:29 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

Thats not the kind of corner worker I was hoping for. But if thats what flies at these events so be it.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:09 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in for the track day at NL, thats where I popped my track cherry! For any novices, I found it to be an excellent track, especially for 944s. Coming down the front strait at full bore, then just a light lift and back into it around turn 1 at full pucker is something else!

I went to an S2k-only track event last fall (in a friends car) and it was a great time. I thought that element was kindof missing from the 'fest, although I only passed through it for a few hours last year. Believe me, even if you don't track your own car, you DO want to ride along in someone elses.

Regardless, count me in at $100, $125, even $150 for a track day plus camping. 100% worth it in my mind. I'm also down with the backup plan at the Turner Farm out in Jackson, I can bring Geoff with me, maybe I'll let him drive the '44 while I pilot the '51.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, at that S2k event, they had some time put aside for "follow the leader". Their purpose was to acquaint novice drivers with the track the day before their DE. Friday was 75% for experienced track rats and the last 25% for this, Sat was the DE, Sun was the caravan through the mountain roads.

You were able to get a very low-impact view of the track in your own car. No track prep necessary, no helmets, no squealing tires. Maybe we could do an hour or so of that, $5-10 per car that was interested?

Quick Reply: Planning 944Fest?