Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning 944Fest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found this:

Nelson Ledges
Nelson Ledges is a very fast 2 mile road course located in eastern Ohio.

Nelson Ledges had been gradually deterioriating for many years, but a major track improvement program has made substantial progress. Significant improvements have been made to all facilities at the track, including hot running water, flush toilets, and showers. Repaving is needed, but the track operates on a very tight budget and it may be some time before it can happen.

The Racer's guide was contributed by Mark Shumaker.

Last Updated: 2005-11-13

Perhaps the camping conditions are getting better now that they have showers.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So pretty much on Friday between 8am - 4pm the track is open then? I know that we would have to someone with experience with those without it, but if the track is open that long, I think we could get at LEAST 40 people to show up for $75 for just the track then everything else added on such as food/beverage and tents. I know if I could get on the track for a good couple hours I would have NO problem paying over 2x that amount for the track. This spring I am doing some DE at mid-ohio, so it would be nice to have another track to drive with my new skills. The big problem I think is we would need to know exactly how many are showing up or at least very close because if/when people pre-pay, we need to have an idea of how much to charge. A good idea could be to open a poll here and do a vote on who would show up, who would show up/do the track, who would show up/do the track/stay the weekend? Then you can throw some prices up there for total and how much per person if x amount of people show up.

$3,000 Ledges + Track event 8am - 4pm

20 people / $3,000 = $150 per person
40 people / $3,000 = $75 per person
60 people / $3,000 = $50 per person
100 people / $3,000 = $30 per person

Then be sure to let people know that does NOT include ANYTHING but staying on the grounds and the track Friday. So any/all food you want, you have to bring. Also, we could see about someone bringing a grill too and then anyone who uses it throw him/her a couple bucks, and anything else we can think of. Dan, how many people could show up to this event then if we do decide to do this?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Dan,

Early August looks like an open period for me.

I'd love to come for another Fest! I'll even tone-down the bubble machine if that's what it takes to stay on the good side of "best behavior".

As for assistance - I'd be more than willing to offer to help as an "instructor" or at least a ride giver. I'll admit I've never driven the track at Nelson - but I can find the right line pretty quick.

My financial limitations would need to keep track fees around $50 and the primitive camping idea doesn't scare me. Those unfortunate enough to glimpse me emerging from the tent in the morning might become very scared. But that's another matter all together.

Smaller can be better. A fun, safe day at the track (Friday) and other activities (Sat) with a bunch of good 944 folks is very appealing.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally - I don't care much about a track as I don't track my car. I personally don't like to camp so being closer to motels/hotels/lodges are more important to me, you said they were not close... how not close are they?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:13 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^ ------------ Debbie Downer of 944Fest 2006.

Just kiddin Cory.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

there were 60-ish people last year when it was free admission... i dont see 40 people paying $75 as cool as it sounds, especially since everything else is going to be added in (which again is totally ok)

the track thing sounds cool, but for people that dont have track experience, or would only get a ride etc. etc. i dont think they would see the $75 as valuable as those more experienced with track time.

on the other hand, i think that if it was held at a park (i know, i know, probably no beer...) or at someones property, whoever was being the main host, or providing the land, could take in $20 per car, and pocket it, or use it towards a BBQ or something similar

just my thoughts
Old 03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to try to come. Im fine with camping (ill be doing that if at all possible!). Not sure on a big chunk of money for tracking, unless theres lots of people so that its affordable. Gas to drive 5200 miles round trip aint cheap ya know

2600 Miles Each Way
Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in, $75.00 is cheap for a track day. I'm also available to teach. I can also do a newbie classroom in 30 minutes. If you have never tracked your car this would be a great opportunity. You would be grouped with others of similar skill, experience and speed. When you go to the track you are not obligated to wring the cars neck. Just drive a speed you are comfortable with. You will be given the chance to learn more about the capabilities of your car in a safe environment and I promise you will learn to be a better driver. It really is safer for the car and you, than some of the "cruises" I have been on. The alternative is to sit back and enjoy the sights and sounds of your fellow Rennlisters/ and PCA members having a great time.

The 944Fest experience is only realized when on site 24/3. Camp out, bring a motorhome if you don't like to sleep on the ground. You would still have to feed yourself and enjoy adult beverages at home. Start saving your money now, Even I can save a couple hundred in 5 months. This will be most fun you can have with your car and your new found friends.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:07 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Talking

Another couple of things to mention.

Nelsons' Ledges state park is right there, 167 acres of neat trails, cliffs and other park like stuff. I'm not sure where that fits in to the plan, but we could cruise in it for sure. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/nelsonk.htm

Yep, the track is a mecca for some, and a unneccasary expense for others. In the past I have featured different aspects of our machines. Nelsons' was the location for the introduction of the 944 turbo to the USA, in 1985 IIRC. Fred Baker raced the first one there in an endurance race. Offering an on-track ride to those who haven't braved it before should be noteworthy.

Parks (state, local or otherwise) just do NOT suit the presence of a pack of motorheads and their toys. Besides the alcohol, Rangers just LOVE to come down hard on someone who breaks 25MPH or squeaks a tire. As much as I would love to be in a park under a canopy of trees, I can't see a way to make it happen. The Ski Lodge last year was as close as I could get to that on private property and that cost me thousands.

Frankly, I have no idea how many folks would come to the track day. The expenses would need to be shared between the trackers and the campers, for those are the two groups the $3000 weekend package would benefit. Normally, PCA instructors come to track events, instruct and give rides FOR FREE TRACK TIME. I just don't see that as possible in this scenario. My idea for covering costs might be something like-
$100/car -track day and camping. (would 15 experienced drivers sign up?)
$20/person camping, 944fest participation. (20 more people?)
Rides- $20? Remember, this is PARTY CHARITY-NOT PROFIT!!!!
That would be $2000, I think we may be able to squeeze a few hundred extra from outright donors, benefactors, etc. I may be able to sell 50 T shirts for $20 and earn another $400. This would come close to the $3000.

You folks need to understand this project HAS to financially support itself. It will NOT happen it if it costs me time AND my $$$$. Time I can afford, the rest is up to the people who come and have the time of their lives. I read about how this is the best weekend ever, best car show event ever, etc... and I'm proud of that, but it is time to start paying up. Those who feel the $$$ is too much, well, probably can find something else to do that weekend. I hate to say it but I'm no longer in the "ya'll come and pay what you want" mode.

For those who are thinking of driving all the way across the USA, well, it might consider hosting something similar in your neck of the woods! (Not you Geoff, you get packing)
Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hustle and Flow babies...
944 Fest has the impetus to survive on its own with participant dollars.

Way back machine...
the smell of clams boiling and the pregnant ladies walking around.... Cory washing his car and apologizing for losing his wife's favorite bucket...

944 fest is an institution, kinda like marriage. WE who attend are a resultant of the final product.

lets MAKE THIS HAPPEN. regardless of cash input, hell a dive in and pot luck dinner is fine by me.

This is now a MUST attend for watercoolers. I made it there with a bad AC compressor the first year I went. Rocks's tranny was swapped by John D. the second year I was there. Last Year.. ask Travis.

WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan,

I'm in for whatever is needed - instructing, rides, etc, as well as to help organize tihngs. Let me know what you need. I can bring a couple grills and other misc supplies as well since this is sort of home turf for me.

Would we be willing to open up the track portion to non-water pumpers if needed to ehlp subsidize the cost? Louie, my brother, the ususal suspects, etc. would probably be in although they are not 944 guys.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Personally - I don't care much about a track as I don't track my car. I personally don't like to camp so being closer to motels/hotels/lodges are more important to me, you said they were not close... how not close are they?
Closest decent hotel is probably 25-30 minutes away in Solon - Hmapton Inn, etc.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

That sounds good for the track price/ weekend price Dan. I would see about how many plan to show up first before make it 100% for sure on price so people understand it could go up. I thought about the same thing with opening up to non-watercooled porsche if they wanted to come. If anything like this DOES fly, everyone (and REALLY the ones that use the track) have to understand and respect everyone else on the track. This isn't a race or anything like that but a better time to push you car harder then on the street. No playing around on the track what so ever. If this does happen, we should at least have a couple people in charge that have the power to pull anyone off the track that is horsing around.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks Skip, if we go with this, I WILL need a lot of help from a guy who knows the area.. I certainly don't.

Mike, yes, there needs to be a marshall of sorts for track activity. We'll have to screen who goes out. I'm sure we could probably squeeze in a few newbies as long as there are enough instructors to pair them up. Since it will be just 20 or so cars and a whole day, anyone who comes will get TONS of track time, even if we divide it in to a couple of run groups.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

HA, I was JUST thinking of that, different groups. We could break up with newbie's (less then a year of track events, more then 5 years from last track event, at least 5 events completed) by themselves with instructors then switch it up some. Do like, 30 mins worth of runs then break.

Quick Reply: Planning 944Fest?