Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning 944Fest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could definately help out a bit with a Michigan event. The Jackson/Chelsea/Waterloo area has plenty of interesting roads - it's usually where I head to for those Sunday afternoon drives.
As long as it's not the last week of July, count me in.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:29 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good to me. I would be willing to pay extra for a dyno too.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:36 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

We would need a rough estimate of how much a mobile dyno is to actually rent for a day. My guess would be around or over a grand? Lots of people would need to chip in as I can go a few places within a few hours of me for a couple pulls ranging from 80-110 bucks.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

FWIW, Last time I paid the guys 1K to come out and run all day.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:10 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on making it to Fest on three conditions this year... #1 it isnt June 10-July 4, #2 We have one, #3 My car is running Location pretty much doesnt matter to me, I love to travel.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Not that we have a location or anything, but sometimes you need a date to find out if a location will work. I'll start by proposing July 22-23rd, 2006. For WHATEVER may come of it.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Hey Dan - is your Cuz coming down this summer?

Also, any idea how much Nelsons is to rent for a Friday? I would think it wouldn't be that bad. Might be fun to do a track day on Friday and then camp out Friday night. Between the two of us we could round up plenty of instructors for any newbies, and to give rides for those that don't want to take their own cars out. Maybe do a little time trial. I would be willing to help organize something like that, and Nelsons would be a great place to camp and get a little rowdy since its in the middle of no-where.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Nelson's would be quite cool, but would require most of us from outside OH that want to participate to take off both Thursday and Friday for traveling. Not that it would be the end of the world.

It might be possible to move it to the other side of the state, Athens OH, where I went to school. I still have some pull at a local state park that would accommodate 100 of us quite well.

Just an idea.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Doesn't matter where it is, I'll come.
Tamer is fine, last one was a little... 'untame' hehehe
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

Skip, I'm sure there is tremendous appeal to have the Fest in your backyard, on your home court, but I've got some serious reservations. Basically, I'm not ready to have ANYTHING to do with setting the 944fest pack free on a race track. We all (those that COME to the event ) know what happens when we drive on regular roads and even private fields, I shudder at the thought of the carnage legitimate speed would bring. Yes, we all could afford to buy a weekday there, but there is no way in heck my name is going to be anywhere on the paperwork. If it is a weekday, I'd bet the few that show up will just be the locals. I don't even know if we could get a Friday, most track weekends get the Friday too so our only option would be a Monday (ugh). A good friend had a long chat with the owner of the Ledges, and the owner is open to us coming, but not exactly on track. He welcomes us to camp over in the corner (near the camper junkyard??) and watch other cars race. Also, I really don't like the track much. If you recall, last time we ran there I pitted early and didn't come back out. Sorry, but I'm spoiled with mid-ohio stuff, Nelsons is too bumpy, narrow and I don't know why I never feel very comfortable there.
I will acknowledge there is a big chunk of history there. It was the location for the first running of a 944 turbo in the USA. Fast Freddie Baker raced one there somewhere around 1985. It would be cool to have a handful of certified guys give rides, that is something they would not forget!

Perry, I'm sure glad to see you've still got some interest. In the past all legit state parks were out because of the "no alcohol" rules. I can't say that I blame them!

Oh yea, it looks like Cuz is not coming this summer. We're doing the Glenn rendezvous in May, remember?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Skip, I'm sure there is tremendous appeal to have the Fest in your backyard, on your home court, but I've got some serious reservations. Basically, I'm not ready to have ANYTHING to do with setting the 944fest pack free on a race track. We all (those that COME to the event ) know what happens when we drive on regular roads and even private fields, I shudder at the thought of the carnage legitimate speed would bring. Yes, we all could afford to buy a weekday there, but there is no way in heck my name is going to be anywhere on the paperwork. If it is a weekday, I'd bet the few that show up will just be the locals. I don't even know if we could get a Friday, most track weekends get the Friday too so our only option would be a Monday (ugh). A good friend had a long chat with the owner of the Ledges, and the owner is open to us coming, but not exactly on track. He welcomes us to camp over in the corner (near the camper junkyard??) and watch other cars race. Also, I really don't like the track much. If you recall, last time we ran there I pitted early and didn't come back out. Sorry, but I'm spoiled with mid-ohio stuff, Nelsons is too bumpy, narrow and I don't know why I never feel very comfortable there...
Hey - your the one that brought it up - I just expounded on it.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:26 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Hey - your the one that brought it up - I just expounded on it.
I might of mentioned it here first, but it was brought to me as a suggestion. I have given it a lot of thought and dismissed it. If someone else said they wanted to host it and wanted to use Nelson's as the location, I'd be all ears. I do see some great positives but a lot of pitfalls too.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:22 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
If people are willing to go to MI instead
I'm already there baby!

What ever happens, I'm going to consult with Tifo first to make sure he has the weekend free.

MI sounds interesting!
Word!

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
We could make it fully legitimate too

Originally Posted by sca037
for Michigan!!!

I'm not ready to have ANYTHING to do with setting the 944fest pack free on a race track... I shudder at the thought of the carnage legitimate speed would bring.
Yeah - I definately have to agree with you on that one!!!

Rock on with the ideas everybody!!! Go Blue!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Perry, I'm sure glad to see you've still got some interest. In the past all legit state parks were out because of the "no alcohol" rules. I can't say that I blame them!
Hey... never lost interest... just the ability to make it there. Good point on the State parks, and the hooligans like me that may make a mess of the race track. If I ain't racin' I'm drinkin', so probably better off on a farm somewhere for the weekend.

Hope everyone keeps up the ideas.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

I'm down with it, as long as it's not 6/2-6/5. Thats Sharks in the Mountains weekend in NC.

Quick Reply: Planning 944Fest?