Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very important questions...help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
TNT25169
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very important questions...help?

Hey guys,

I represent a group of students from Bowling Green State University that is conducting a survey on the used automotive parts industry. We are all Seniors here and share your passion for cars, particularly Porsches. We are developing a business plan for a used Porsche parts warehouse and we could use your help. We would appreciate you to take the time to fill out this brief survey. Feel free to PM or e-mail me with any questions TNT25169@aol.com. Thanks!

John Zemon

1. What is your name and where are you from?

2. What year and model of Porsche(s) do you own?

3. What type of work do you perform yourself on your Porsche? (Select all that apply)
( )None, I have a professional do the work
( )Light mechanical (oil changes, spark plugs)
( )Mid-Mechanical (brakes, suspension, belts)
( )Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
( )Body Work

4. Are you involved in Porsche racing, professionally or as an amateur? If so please briefly describe.

5. Do you prefer to buy new parts or used parts for your Porsche?

6. If you have ever purchase used parts for a Porsche, where did you purchase them from and what were they?

7. How much do you spend a year (on average) on used parts?

8. Have you ever had a bad experience buying used parts? If so, please briefly describe

9. If you could change something about the place(s) you order your used parts from, what would it be?

10. Where do you get your learn about the places you bought your used Porsche parts from?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geoff from Denver...

1987 924S, hopefully I'll soon have a 1986 944 Turbo

3. What type of work do you perform yourself on your Porsche? (Select all that apply)
(x )Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
(x )Body Work

4. Are you involved in Porsche racing, professionally or as an amateur? If so please briefly describe.
Yes, I'm an amatuer racer, begining to get involved in 944spec racing.... see sig.
Perferably new, but used come in handy if they're in good condition

6. If you have ever purchase used parts for a Porsche, where did you purchase them from and what were they? I have. I purchased a center console, and quarter window from Dart Auto LLC in Denver (www.dartauto.com) as well as a hand brake, 2 more quarter windows and seals, a power steering pump, and some new sunroof gears from a guy with a parts car in Denver

no idea...

8. Have you ever had a bad experience buying used parts? If so, please briefly describe
Yeah. the power steering pump described above had a dead bearing and screamed like a banshee whenever the wheel was turned... it's currently disconnected
9. If you could change something about the place(s) you order your used parts from, what would it be? well, buying used parts is a risk, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. the good thing is that they're cheap... so I don't feel TOO cheated if they aren't operational.

10. Where do you get your learn about the places you bought your used Porsche parts from?

here on Rennlist... people say, "I have a parts car!" or at PCA meets, where the guys who own Dart Auto go often...and advertise.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:51 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

1/anonymous from SW FL 2/ 1989 944 S2 3/Mid-Mechanical 4/in past years crewed for amatuer 944 S2 'Firehawk' 5/depends on safety implications 6/in the U.S.A. and UK 7/$1000 8/yes, part was not as described 9/better communication, accurate description, timely shipping 10/eBay,Rennlist, internet searches

good luck
Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Andrew Pierce, Michigan
1985.5 944 N/A

(X)Light mechanical (oil changes, spark plugs)
(X)Mid-Mechanical (brakes, suspension, belts)
(X)Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
(X)Body Work

not yet
depends what it is, rod bearings? new. interior doodads? used.

6. If you have ever purchase used parts for a Porsche, where did you purchase them from and what were they?
from Todd, mostly exterior body pieces
im too chicken **** to add it up, $500+ ish

not yet *knock on wood*

9. If you could change something about the place(s) you order your used parts from, what would it be?
no complaints

right here
Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe P - Phoenix Arizona

1988 944 Turbo S
1984 944
Parts cars
1983 944, 1987 924S, 1988 924S

(X)Body Work

Yes I racing in NASA in a spec 944 class. This class is centered around racing low budget equal cars. This class uses stock engines, lightly modded suspensions and stripped interiors. Most parts on the cars are stock and race weights are 2600lbs with driver and rear wheel hp levels are 128 to 135 for nearly all the cars. There are some 75 cars built or being built for the class in Arizona, California and Colorado.

Used parts can be great when they are cheap enough or are hyper expensive from the factory new. For more moderatly prices parts or parts that wear new is better.

Used parts & entire parts cars. Details are too long to list
Rennlist
Other Local Racers
Ebay
20th St Auto

After I got my car built I spend very little, I just use up the parts cars.

Not really... I don't expect much when buying used.

No.

Local PCA and Rennlist
Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris Eckert, Vienna Va
1987 924S

(x)Light mechanical (oil changes, spark plugs)
(x)Mid-Mechanical (brakes, suspension, belts)
(x)Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
(x)Body Work

autocross, de events, non porsche FSAE
Usually new parts for critical compenents used for stuff like door handles ect.

300-400

for more to be located on the east coast so shipping is less $ and faster

rennlist, google
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What is your name and where are you from? Andy Cincinnati OH

2. What year and model of Porsche(s) do you own? 86-944, 87-944, 88-944

(X)Body Work
*(X)Modifications and fabrication-just little stuff tho, lol

4. Are you involved in Porsche racing, professionally or as an amateur? If so please briefly describe. Amature- AutoX

5. Do you prefer to buy new parts or used parts for your Porsche? I have alot of parts, if not I buy used unless it is a part that should be new.

6. If you have ever purchase used parts for a Porsche, where did you purchase them from and what were they? Yes, normally induviduals

7. How much do you spend a year (on average) on used parts? not a clue, probably too much

8. Have you ever had a bad experience buying used parts? If so, please briefly describe Yes, buying parts that are not as described or broken

9. If you could change something about the place(s) you order your used parts from, what would it be? I-O-NO

10. Where do you get your learn about the places you bought your used Porsche parts from? Internet, Rennlist, Publications
Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't DO surveys! ESPECIALLY ON AN OPEN FORUM LIKE THIS.

My experience doing so generally means, I'm getting BS from someone, who, all they are after is more of my money, and will tell me anything they feel they have to, to TRY and get me to reply.

YOUR NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE...........ARE YA?

If, you were a paying, established member..........maybe I'd get a little more enthusiastic about what your doing here. Otherwise.......SORRY!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM
TNT25169
Instructor

If you don't want to answer the survey, I won't be pissed. I'm just a college student. I'm in the last class of my entrepreneurship minor and my idea for a Porsche dismantling service was chosen as one of the three ideas that could possibly succeed and win an award from the University at the end of the semester. This is kind of a big deal to me and before I can go any further in developing the plan, I have to prove to my class that there is a demand for this business by getting roughly 40 POTENTIAL customers to fill out the survey. This is not to obtain personal information from anyone or anything like that, all I am trying to do is figure out what could make peoples lives easier when buying used parts and if another business could succeed. That's all. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Kirkvw72
Intermediate

That's the spirit Ken! I love the "paying member part" yet the complant about people taking your money. Don't get me wrong...this is a great forum but I have never seen so many harsh attitudes concerning helping someone out based on if they have paid for an optional membership. If it is such a big deal, then make the site private. Personally, I am very thankful for the people who have helped me even though I haven't "joined" yet, but I am continually amazed at the reaction new and/or non-member receive.

Anyways...rant over....
Kirk Macnider - Bartlett, Illinois
1987 951
1987 944s

(x)Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
(x)Body Work

No
Prefer new but will buy used when appropriate/cost effective.
Yes - German Auto Dismantlers - motor mounts
Ebay- various sunroof parts- $50
$50

Yes- G.A.D. sent the motor mounts and said they were in "as new" condition; yet, one of the mounts lost all of its fluid just sitting in my garage.

I would like brief "no-hassle" return policy. Quick responses to emails.

Ebay
Old 02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
TNT25169
Instructor

Thank you to those of you who helped me with my survey. I was able to convince my teachers to let me continue with my business plan by having an excellent presentation on Thursday. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no prob. glad it helped!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

MY name is Phil And i am From New Jersey

I own a 1988 944. My father also has an 1986 911 Carrera and my Grandfather has a 1996 Boxeter, 2001 996TT, and a 1986 930S Slantnoze race ready (a 911 Turbo slant nose will role bars and vaiable turbo boost from factory. I am not really sure how much power it has)

3. What type of work do you perform yourself on your Porsche? (Select all that apply) This applies to myself father and grandfather.
(x)Body Work (just very simple stuff)

4. Are you involved in Porsche racing, professionally or as an amateur? If so please briefly describe. No but i would like to get involved in some PCA Driver Ed events.

Usually i like to buy new parts but if the price and condition is correct i will buy used ones as well. It depends on the situation and what part i am looking to get.

I purchesed a turbo rear valance, 2 rear bumper shocks and a coupkle rear bumper end caps.

Not sure depend son the year maybe a bout 200-300 dollars.

Yes, once when i ordered my rear turbo valance the company promissed to include the mounting harware for the piece but they never sent it and any time i asked for the hardware they cept saying its coming but never came.

That they be reliable and follow up on what they promise. Have only had this problem with one company that i have delt with.

PCA magazine ads, Ebay, and word of mouth.

I hope this helps good luck with the project u are using this info for.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan Jauch/ cincinnati OH
89 944
87 924s-g/f's

( X)Heavy Mechanical (engine rebuilds, major modifications)
( X)Body Work

I am a safety tech for the PCA OVR region and involved in autox and DE so far

alittle of both- new if its any kind of wear item and used if its a large component

yes- body parts, swaybars, glass, interior parts, wheels - rennlist sellers,PCA sellers and ebay auctions

i would say at least 1-3k annual

not much- sometimes parts arent much better than what you already have or for the total cost of shipping etc you could have bought new!

i dunno- maybe easier to find, more organized, better represented

rennlist, searches online, ebay, word of mouth. - quality and good customer service will get you very far with people who spend money on any kind of parts. Bad business and misrepresented parts will get negative attention.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Brandon J Zorn/Monroe,Wa
1990 944S2, currently looking for an 82 911 SC

(x)None, I have a professional do the work
( )ght mechanical (oil changes, spark plugs)
(x)d-Mechanical (brakes, suspension, belts)
(x)Body Work

Yes autox, and I will be doing DE'sthis season
New
Yeah It was a fue rail, and I got it from Parts heaven in Ca
Don't know don't really buy used parts, but last yar was 200 bux
No

Rennlist, Pano, Ebay

Quick Reply: Very important questions...help?