Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you and I both agree there are MANY people on the road with licenses, that shouldn't have them. We need more testing and more retests. Because you passed driver's ed in H.S. in 1955, doesn't mean you are ok in 2006. I wasn't trying to single you out, and I'm glad you saw that and didn't start the infamous flame war. I'm very easy going on speed enforcement, giving 15 as a rule. I spent more time on red lights and equipment issues.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:18 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark
I wasn't trying to single you out, and I'm glad you saw that and didn't start the infamous flame war. I'm very easy going on speed enforcement, giving 15 as a rule. I spent more time on red lights and equipment issues.
I realised that right away. I tend to think fairly straight. I take it from your post that you are a cop, then? Equipment issues, red lights, unsafe driving, by all means. But fergawdsake, if someone down on his luck is otherwise obeying traffic laws, please cut them a break. I'll never have my life in order. It ruined me. At 34, I am only just beginning to get my life in order and become a stable person.
I have used that defense in court before on a few occasions, and won. I have also used it and lost.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:14 AM
heybiff
Instructor

This thread is one of the most entertaining and informative threads I've read yet.

All that aside, you gentlemen and gentlewomen should visit Philadelphia. Our speed limit is: do NOT pass the police cars when you see share the roads with them; enjoy your flight. Really. Outside of the city limits you take your chances with REAL state troopers and township police, but even then you probably are good to go.

I have seen near pileups from well meaning drivers attempting to obey the speed limit, usually 50MPH. I've personally been passed while stoppped by impatient drivers at on-ramps who just KNOW I'm being overly caution in my merge. Here most passing is done on the right and far right, and at time the shoulder ( oh yes ). I concede we are breaking the law, driving beyond our skill level, and endangering poeple and property.

I wish we had the level of enforcement you all complain about in my city. Then perhaps my insurance rates would go down. Unfortunately we seem to be in the middle of a killing spree, and traffic enforcement is on the back burner. If anyone has ideas on how we can highlight ou need for increased traffic enforement, please share. Speeding, driving without proper paperwork, driving a "hooptie" or "bucket" with or without assorted necessary components, smoking, limo-tint, and other flagrant violations have failed to date.

Heybiff
-and yes, when safe enough I do enjoy the capabilities of my vehicle, but I still get tailgated.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:30 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK
In September last year I drove, following a map all the way, from Jacksonville IN to Dayton OH to see the Taj. Most, if not all, of the travel was on multi-lane Interstates.
I found that, in a 65mph zone, if I was not doing 75mph I was going to get run over by a rather large commercial vehicle! My wife, the map reader , was terrified for the whole trip! "Slow down", "I cant!","Yes you can!", "No. I can't!".
That was nervous times! I did not see a cop car the whole way except when bypassing some large city just inside the Ohio border I had a patrol car follow me on the freeway for about 15 mins. I was doing the speed limit at the time. Was probably the out of state plates!
This sort of disregard for speed limits here would:
1. Lose you your license in record time.
2. Get you lots of really nice pictures of your cars
3.Kill you very quickly cause the roads are really crap
4. Possibly have your car impounded

I really enjoyed the driving on the interstates and back country roads in the states, however my experiences in the cities left a lot to be desired!
BTW: We loved the road signs at roadworks re: Kill a worker, get $????? fine and ??? years jail! But why only restrict the speed to 50mph? Roadworks here are posted at 40-60kmh if there is any danger!
Only in America!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:33 AM
ether_joe
Instructor

I just bought a 968. Very conservative driver in traffic and paranoid-careful in residential areas.

I am wondering about "Montanabahn" driving - for example the stretch from Reno to Salt Lake City which I may be doing soon - long isolated stretches - higher speeds for extended periods on empty highways - what say you all?

Very informative thread, thanks everybody
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was once told by a local officer, after being the only car in a 3 abreast row to get pulled over:
"The nail that sticks out the furthest is the first one to get hammered."

Jeremy: put down the eurotrip dvd.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Ahhh.. I just did some reading on the radar detector detector. It seems it picks up the leaked out RF from the oscillator used to pick up the radar in radar detectors.
Off the top of my head you could get around this by isolating the frequency leaked, inverting it and sending it back at the radar detector. It would work much like noise canceling headphones and should make the radar detectors "un detectable" no matter what frequency they leak.

I expect royalties on the next valentine unit that uses this method to combat the RDDs.
If this was possible don't you think the companies that build these things would have done it? A little reading can be a dangerous thing.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Talking

Ya'll just need to get one of THESE:
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2006, 12:36 AM
kcryan
Instructor

how does one obtain one of those, better yet what is it?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

It is a "friend" badge. If you know someone who is an officer, and are good enough buds with him, he/she just might bestow one of these on you. It is in a small billfold with the officer's card on the other side. My experience is the officer who pulls you over will take a peek at it, ask you how you know the officer, and let you go on your way with an apology for the inconvenience. I've heard tales of folks with these getting away with crazy offenses (50+ over, street racing, etc) and not being cited for DWI (the badge got confiscated in that instance) with one of these. It basically is a "get out of jail free" badge. It is similar to the FOP cards that the officer who pulls you over would take, this one you get to keep. I understand that some officers may refuse to honor them, and that certainly is their right. It is a great privledge to have been bestowed this honor and I buy the giver a beer every chance I get.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the peace officers present in this discussion regarding these. How many do you get to give out, do you always honor them, etc. As always, a healthy dose of respect for the officer is due in any situation. Is this a hush-hush situation that the general public is not supposed to be aware of? Part of me always thought it sucked that police were immune from traffic violations, until I realized that those folks put their LIFE on the line day in and day out to maintain peace and safety in my town. Speed on, officer..speed on. You deserve it.

Semi related, when I was a kid I used to play a french card game that was sort of a car race, called "mille borne". You'd lay down cards like speed limits, stop signs, mileage, flat tire, etc.. and it always seemed the guy who had the card (prioritaire, something like that) that let you run stop signs and speed limits always won the game. When I got this badge I knew it was a big step toward winning the game!
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2006, 01:42 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Ya'll just need to get one of THESE:
Holy sweety Mary mother of... that has got to be the Holy Grail for Porsche owners
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my experiences being pulled over, being nice and subordinate helps a ton. one time, on my birthday, I was pulled over. I didn't have a current insurance card on my person or in the car. I was going 20 over the limit. Officer asked me to call my insurance so he could verify that I had insurance, which I did. he came back, with a ticket, and it was for 5 over, and nothing for lack of insurance. I didn't pull the "it's my birthday, let me off" stunt, as I'm sure he knew from looking at my license. I told him I knew I was speeding, but unsure of how fast it was. he brought back the radar gun to show me exactly how fast I was going, which I thought was nice. He was pleasant to me, as I was him, and I beleive that's why I didn't get the full ticket, as well as the lack of proof of insurance ticket.

Also, all other times (5) I'd been pulled over, I'd been let off...except one...which was marked to 5 over, as was the one described above.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:53 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
It is a "friend" badge. If you know someone who is an officer, and are good enough buds with him, he/she just might bestow one of these on you. It is in a small billfold with the officer's card on the other side. My experience is the officer who pulls you over will take a peek at it, ask you how you know the officer, and let you go on your way with an apology for the inconvenience. I've heard tales of folks with these getting away with crazy offenses (50+ over, street racing, etc) and not being cited for DWI (the badge got confiscated in that instance) with one of these. It basically is a "get out of jail free" badge. It is similar to the FOP cards that the officer who pulls you over would take, this one you get to keep. I understand that some officers may refuse to honor them, and that certainly is their right. It is a great privledge to have been bestowed this honor and I buy the giver a beer every chance I get.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of the peace officers present in this or getting sued discussion regarding these. How many do you get to give out, do you always honor them, etc. As always, a healthy dose of respect for the officer is due in any situation. Is this a hush-hush situation that the general public is not supposed to be aware of? Part of me always thought it sucked that police were immune from traffic violations, until I realized that those folks put their LIFE on the line day in and day out to maintain peace and safety in my town. Speed on, officer..speed on. You deserve it.

Semi related, when I was a kid I used to play a french card game that was sort of a car race, called "mille borne". You'd lay down cards like speed limits, stop signs, mileage, flat tire, etc.. and it always seemed the guy who had the card (prioritaire, something like that) that let you run stop signs and speed limits always won the game. When I got this badge I knew it was a big step toward winning the game!
I personally don't like them. There are too many of them out there. If I stop some one with one I question it and call the department it is from and ask for the officer that gave it out. I have stopped three people that showed one to me and called on all three. Two of them the officers never worked for the departments. I charged both of them with an M1 misdemeanor and the departments the badges were from also charged them.

The FOP cards and the badges only get you out of minor infractions. I will never let a DUI go with a badge or a card. I'm not going to risk losing my job or getting sued over one. The badges are illegal in some states to be given out or to carry them.

The FOP cards usually can get you out of a minor speed or a traffic control device(sign or light) ticket. I will take the card in exchange for a warning ( I've got a pretty good collection of them). One guy demanded his card back after I gave him a warning so I went back to my car and wrote him a cite and gave the card back to him. He wasn't a happy camper after that and called me every name in the book and a couple that I had never heard.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:18 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

MPD, thanks for the info. I can see the concern if somebody fakes one somehow, I'm surprised you found 2 that there was no connection to the claimed issuing officer. It would be a serious problem if a menace to society had one and used it to evade capture. Mine holds a business card from the Sergeant in the other side of the billfold so it would be easy to check out. How many of these are you guys allowed to purchse/distribute? Is rank tied in to it in any way?

TIA
Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Biggest dick cop I have ever run into: I was behind a pack of cars that were bunched up behind a police car that was driving about seven miles an hour below the spend limit. I set my cruise on 57mph by my digital dash and started easing by in the fast lane. Several other cars have already passed the cruiser going even faster than I was. As soon as I pass the cop, he pulls over behind me and hits the flashers. I pull over immediately, thinking WTF. This big fat version of Barney Fife comes strolling up to my car. He's so fat, I guarantee he couldn't pull his gun, but he must think he's Dirty Harry because he's got like eight speed loaders for his revolver strapped around his waist. Anyway, he looks at my license and says, "How come you passed me back there Bill?" My first name is William even though I don't go by it, but I think it's kind of rude for someone that doesn't even know me to just start out by calling me by a nickname. I felt like he should have called me by my last name with a Mr. in front of it. Seemed kind of smug to me, so now I'm getting upset. I answered "Because everyone else was." He then told me I was doing 57 and asked me if I knew what the speed limit was where I passed him. I told him it was 55. So he responds, "Yeah and before that it was 50 and it was 45 before that!" WTF is that supposed to mean. I said, "Well, where you pulled me over it was 55!" So he says, "I'm not gonna give you a ticket this time." I said, "Nope you sure aren't!" And then he turns around and gets back in his car and drives off.

I also got a ticket last week, first in a long time, for going 52 in a 40. Motorcycle cop was sitting behind a sign on a side street trying to get people so he could fill his quota, that they supposedly don't have, by the end of the month. I knew there wasn't even any since trying to talk my way out of it since the only reason he was there was to get tickets written. After he handed me the ticket he even thanked me for being polite about it.

Quick Reply: Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !