Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V-1's and most good detectors are invisible to radar detector detectors. Cheap detectors are not. V-1 even mentions this in their literature as a selling point.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tigershark
I'm very easy going on speed enforcement, giving 15 as a rule. I spent more time on red lights and equipment issues.
Proof that cops (or at least one cop) target the real problems with traffic. I think we can all agree that there are a few driving behaviors that are bad and need enforcement, those include red light running, unsafe equipment, tail gateing, unsafe/agressive driving (you know, that civic with the wing trying to get up next to you so he can race )...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:31 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I'm surprised you found 2 that there was no connection to the claimed issuing officer.
The first one was easy he was very nervous and said the badge wasgiven to him by a friend. When I asked him for his name he said it was John Stamos. I saie like the actor and he mummbled yes. I called the department and they said they had nobody with that name. He tried to give me another BS story so I called our Prosecutor and she said to charge him. Now when we have some one using the badge we call and verify it.

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
How many of these are you guys allowed to purchse/distribute? Is rank tied in to it in any way?
It varies by department policies.

Originally Posted by azmi951
Proof that cops (or at least one cop) target the real problems with traffic. I think we can all agree that there are a few driving behaviors that are bad and need enforcement, those include red light running, unsafe equipment, tail gateing, unsafe/agressive driving (you know, that civic with the wing trying to get up next to you so he can race )...
I usually let the younger officers do the speed enforcement. I like patrolling in the neighborhoods and businesses, there is no better job satisfaction than catching Burglarsr and putting them in jail. I still do traffic enforcement though it is part of the job, 15 over is where I start.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Only one I got off of was doing 40 in a 30 in a town that is known as a PITA (no one gets out of tickets there). He stopped me and saw I'd just got my Jeep Liberty. Well, he asked for my lisence and I told him "I just got the car 12 hours before (that was the truth) and was still getting used to it". I had 4 friends with me (they'd been drinking) and I told him I was just going to drop them off. He asked if I had insurance on it yet and I just said "here's the one for my other car, I called the company, but it won't be switched over till Monday when they open". He just said "That's too much paperwork, drive safetly" and walked off.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Paybacks are a bitch!

Melrose Drive , Tullamarine , Victoria, Australia . January 16th 2006 :
14.35 hours :

Highway patrol pulls over a Workcover Inspector for doing 68 in a 60 zone.

Workcover Inspector says nothing and cops it sweet.

Policeman finishes writing ticket and proceeds back to his car...........

Workcover Inspector in the mean time, gets digital camera out of bag, photographs the cop and proceeds to the police car where he issues the Policeman with an $800.00 fine for not wearing his hi-visibility vest when leaving his vehicle in a high traffic area.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

I got a ticket on a stretch of freeway that I know very well 5 years ago doing 85 in a 75 with practically no traffic around. The female Highway Patrol officer was irate as she approached, and told me that she could take me to jail for 85 if she wanted to. I explained that I knew the highway very well and don't normally speed, but I was on the way to the hospital where my dad was after just having a severe stroke. I then got a lecture about how I shouldn't be driving because I was upset and that's what causes accidents. I bit my tongue, signed the ticket, and was able to make it to the hospital before he died.

Other encounters I've had with the police have been positive, they're usually very nice. This was just a fat, mean, ugly, unhappy woman and it's a good thing I didn't tell her how I felt because I'm sure I would have gone to jail. I considered filing a complaint, not because I didn't deserve a ticket (I was speeding), but because she was so rude. I didn't because I had to drive that freeway every week, and would have surely been pulled over by her again.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Beeg wins the award for the most amount of stuff crammed into a signature line.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Heres one for you guys, i have a 2004 60th anniversary New York State Troopers Association PBA (Police Benevolent Association) card that says COUNSEL on the bottom, its plastic, it was given to me by a friend, what does it do, how do i use it, is it useful even though its a 2004, and what does COUNSEL mean?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

NY PBA cards have rank on them and numbers for patrolman. I had a detective one I swapped a NYPD guy for. PA FOP cards just have the banner and crest. Counsel is one of the delgates assigned to a boro counsel I belive. The "theory" behind these cards is you can exchange one for a minor traffic violation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I go more by attitude then who you know. If you know an Officer, don't name drop, just be really polite and try to work it out later. I've dropped cites for other Officers and Troopers before.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

The radar detector is Legal in you state, so who cares..

Unless, you live in VA or DC, you have nothing to worry about.

Don
Old 01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was a freshman in college I got pulled over in my black 951 at night. I was doing the speed limit minding my own business and all of a sudden I see flashing lights in the back. When he came up to the car I asked him what the problem was, he said he saw a green light glowing out the back of my car and wanted to search it. I was very respectful and told i have nothing to hide and let him search the car. He tore out my back mat my speaker and all my crap and left it on the side of the road and went on his mary way. Real repectful eh? Ever since than it has left a bad taste in my mouth about police officers. I have also been harassed last summer just cruising around, cop was in the other lane going the opposite direction moment he sees me car does a quick u-turn and gets 2 inches from my rear bumper, I simply just pulled into a strangers driveway and let him pass, as im not going to play that game. Don't get me wrong I have met some good ones but the bad so far out weighs the good. Oh and for the record I have been ticket free since 2001.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan87951
When I was a freshman in college I got pulled over in my black 951 at night. I was doing the speed limit minding my own business and all of a sudden I see flashing lights in the back. When he came up to the car I asked him what the problem was, he said he saw a green light glowing out the back of my car and wanted to search it. I was very respectful and told i have nothing to hide and let him search the car. He tore out my back mat my speaker and all my crap and left it on the side of the road and went on his mary way. Real repectful eh? Ever since than it has left a bad taste in my mouth about police officers. I have also been harassed last summer just cruising around, cop was in the other lane going the opposite direction moment he sees me car does a quick u-turn and gets 2 inches from my rear bumper, I simply just pulled into a strangers driveway and let him pass, as im not going to play that game. Don't get me wrong I have met some good ones but the bad so far out weighs the good. Oh and for the record I have been ticket free since 2001.
I missed your whole story...Who is the girl in your avatar?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 PM
kcryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tigershark
NY PBA cards have rank on them and numbers for patrolman. I had a detective one I swapped a NYPD guy for. PA FOP cards just have the banner and crest. Counsel is one of the delgates assigned to a boro counsel I belive. The "theory" behind these cards is you can exchange one for a minor traffic violation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I go more by attitude then who you know. If you know an Officer, don't name drop, just be really polite and try to work it out later. I've dropped cites for other Officers and Troopers before.
But mines not a NYPD one, im actually in rochester so im like 6 hours from NYC, mines a New York State Troopers one, it also has no rank or #'s on it.

That make a difference?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:11 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Beeg wins the award for the most amount of stuff crammed into a signature line.
You jealous Tifo cause you've got nothing to brag about!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:16 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No, not really.

Quick Reply: Police Radar, 10-ways to get shot in the back !