Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do to keep the windows from fogging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What do you do to keep the windows from fogging?

As titled. it's kind of cold and moist over here for the time being, so every time i try to drive the 951, it gets super foggy. that and if i come back to my car on a cold night (no rain, just cold), i'll start fogging up the windows with my latin heat.

i keep the windows clean, and i dont wipe it with my fingers, because that just makes it worse.

sometimes if it gets bad enough, it's like...actual water on the windows. i currently use the Stoner glass cleaner and bounty towels. i tried the rain-x defogger, and that doesnt really work too well. rain-x on the outside works pretty good to keep the rain off.

bonus question- what wipers do you guys use?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

If you have water condensing that bad on the inside, you need to check for moisture under you carpet somewhere. Mine never does that even on the coldest days. Maybe you have a slight leak somewhere (battery box, sunroof, hatch, hatch pin drains). My defroster works great even when the outlet air hasn't completely warmed up yet.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

quit "messing around" inside your car dude.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Exactly. I take my sexual escapades inside.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This will sound really off-the-wall, but it worked.

It's incredibly humid here, and I had the same problem. Somebody that grew up here told me to clean the inside of the windshield with old newspaper. Sounded a bit bizarre, but it's free so why not right? Actually seems to help.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:49 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, gotta quit breathing so heavy...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
nyawn
Cruisin'

Does you air conditioner work? Use it. The A/C system doubles as a dehumidifier...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

ok- how do you guys advise i get rid of moisture on the carpet? i know i've got some on there, and i cleaned out the inside (no papers, or anything) so it's just the passenger side carpet. i pulled up the battery and there's no wetness down there.

how do i get rid of water that's already in there?

and yes- i probably need to stop messing around in there.....not enough space to move around.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:59 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nyawn
Does you air conditioner work? Use it. The A/C system doubles as a dehumidifier...
that is the thing to do, with the windows cracked to get some ventilation . after the moisture has dissipated, use good glass cleaner on the inside to clean and dry it. then use newspaper to buff the haze off....voila! crystal clear(the glass cleaner will keep the fog away in most cases)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Newspaper works great with windex for absolutley streak free glass.

Usually if my windows are fogged up badly, ill just crack the window and turn the defrost on. Usually clears up fairly quickly.

Heres another glass question, how do you guys get grease / oil off the windshield? I think its grease / oil atleast...ive tried everything from carb cleaner to windex, 409 degreaser (for kitchen surfaces)...etc. Maybe its just my wiper arm springs being weak from 17 years of use, but i get these streaks (and areas where the wipers dont 'wipe' well) across the glass making it impossible to see out of in heavy rain. Yes, have brand new wiper blades...Anco. I am to cheap to buy the Bosch, figure i replace them every 2-3 months so whats the point of paying so much more!

On another note, has anyone checked out those new 'Ultimate' wiper blades by Valeo? They come on alot of the new Mercedes....very expensive but i hear they are awsome!

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp
Old 01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Newspaper works great with windex for absolutley streak free glass.

Usually if my windows are fogged up badly, ill just crack the window and turn the defrost on. Usually clears up fairly quickly.

Heres another glass question, how do you guys get grease / oil off the windshield? I think its grease / oil atleast...ive tried everything from carb cleaner to windex, 409 degreaser (for kitchen surfaces)...etc. Maybe its just my wiper arm springs being weak from 17 years of use, but i get these streaks (and areas where the wipers dont 'wipe' well) across the glass making it impossible to see out of in heavy rain. Yes, have brand new wiper blades...Anco. I am to cheap to buy the Bosch, figure i replace them every 2-3 months so whats the point of paying so much more!

On another note, has anyone checked out those new 'Ultimate' wiper blades by Valeo? They come on alot of the new Mercedes....very expensive but i hear they are awsome!

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

i have that too, i think it's just old wiper arms.

doesnt bosch have a new auto-tensioning wiper that tensions so it's stuck on the glass really hard?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I also notice (as far as fogging) that if you keep your air always on the front window or at least somewhat, it does help it alot. I didn't notice this until I got my in g/f's car and she NEVER runs the fan in the car unless it is like 10F or below that or if the temp is about 90! I noticed that her car fogs up FAST when wet and cool out.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Maybe its just my wiper arm springs being weak from 17 years of use, but i get these streaks (and areas where the wipers dont 'wipe' well) across the glass making it impossible to see out of in heavy rain. Yes, have brand new wiper blades...Anco.
Have you rain-x'd the windshield? I love that stuff, and it seems to help with exactly the issue you describe.

In a light rain, you'll barely need the wipers, and a heavy rain wipes much more clearly.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
how do i get rid of water that's already in there?
Wet/dry shop vac.

I actually do use it, with some success.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My car fogs up whenever its humid outside or when under sunlight. My battery tray leaks like a sieve. All the water is underneath the carpet and causes all the moisture to make the interior wet. I can wipe water off the windshield! I use a shop vac (until you can move your hands anymore) then have the car sit out in the sun with windows open/sunroof out and that clears up my problems until the next time it rains enough to get my carpet soaked..

Quick Reply: What do you do to keep the windows from fogging?