Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kla strut mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question kla strut mount

I just finished installing my koni strut insert into the modified strut. So now I grab the new kla strut mounts and the first thing I see on the wrapping is a big bright green sticker that says "please follow the install instructions at their web site". Well guess what....their web site doesn't have any installation instructions.
Can someone please give me the specfics on installing the mounts ?????
thanks,
See ya
Old 01-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I have more questions than answers, I am installing koni inserts, rubber stops, and bellows from paragon. Is the bellow suppose to be attached to the stop, if not why even have it, its certainly not a snug fit to any other thing. After my last post I went to the car and discovered the new kla strut mounts don't fit flush because they hit the inside part of the fender, am I suppose to cut/grind the mount corners to make them fit ? Do u install the mount to the strut prior to bolting it to the car, or do you install the mount alone and then install the strut with spring compressors attached? Should some type of chaulking be used between the mount and the car to prevent water intrusion ?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

HELP ?
Old 01-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Rip It, i did not do anything special when installing the KLA strut mounts. I just put them in like i was the OE ones. Just make sure you get the hardware order correct. I bolted the entire strut assembly together before installing it on the car, i couldnt imagine doing it off. The strut mounts were a perfect fit on my '87 944, and i did not use any type of gasket or silicon sealant around the mount. Have not had any problems with water or corrosion in the 10 months and maybe 9000 miles ive put on the suspension since.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

My mounts will not come up flush because the inside curve of the fender hits the two mount corners.
I just went and triple checked, the mount hits the inside curve of the fender, I am going to grind off some material of the mount corners. 1/8 inch will probably be plenty, also one side of the mount has an extra hole, does it matter where that hole gets located ? Thanks for the reply Techno Duck !
see ya
Old 01-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check with the vendor before you start grinding. If they don't fit maybe they sent the wrong ones, and you won't be able to return them after.

Parts should fit, and if they don't the vendor should deal with it.

Slow down.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some options on installing them but if you have the struts out of the car already it's easier to assemble the strut/coil/mount before reinstalling in the car. I think you'll find that when you put in the 4 mount bolts and snug them up, the mount plate will conform to your car. I didn't use and sealant. I don't think it's necessary. A little grinding won't hurt but then I think they have an anti-corrosion plating on the steel. If you do grind you may want to paint over the ground area.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I am pretty sure the bearing enclosure thats mounted to the steel plate is made of almuminum. And i believe the steel plate is cadmium (spelling??) or maybe zinc plated.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I agree, but I had to grind all 4 corners on the driver side so it would lay flush. I called the manufactor and paragon Friday eve et, all I got was an answering machine. I think I got all the needed washers/spacers in the right places, the hardware I received probably was generic to also include a strut brace, I hope ! I just test drove it on some familiar roads and it is hard to believe the difference, all the harshness is gone. The old right strut was leaking oil and left had no resistance to speak of. I set the adjustable koni to the middle, I will probably leave it there. I couldn't notice any difference in noise due to the kla strut mounts.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Ah yea, when i put my new stuff in it was a night and day difference. My rear shocks only had about 65k miles on them when i took them out. I compressed them by hand and they didnt even retract! I figure 17 years of holding the car up took its toll! The car handled like a Cadillac before and handles nice and tight now.

I run the struts maybe slightly stiffer than 1/2 for street driving. I did that also for autocross and the car understeered terribly. I softened up to about 1/4 and it still understeers a bit, but much less than before. I am probably going to try full soft for a few runs next time. The rear shocks i have set about 3/4. I could probably soften them a bit..but i dont feel like taking them off
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I will probably replace the rear shocks soon. When I hit the interstate speed bumps the rear seems normal ( doesn't rattle your teeth) but will be nice to have all 4 corners renewed at the same time.
The instructions for koni strut inserts on paragons web may mislead someone into cutting the tower at ~13 7/8 in. I had to slow down and study the instructions that come with the koni inserts, it has a chart with various cut measurements depending on the particuliar insert, mine just happen to be 50mm from the top. I used a steel pipe cutter which made a straight cut.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

by the way, i received phone calls from Jason (paragon) and John (kla) Monday.

Quick Reply: kla strut mount